It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration Authorizes $1.83 Billion Arms Sale To Taiwan Reuters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
(Reuters) - The Obama administration formally notified Congress on Wednesday of a $1.83 billion arms sale package for Taiwan, including two frigates, anti-tank missiles, amphibious assault vehicles and other equipment, drawing an angry response from China.

Obama Admin Authorizez 1.83 Billion Arms Sale

Hmm...let me see. Almost 2 Billion dollars could have helped our infrastructure. Helped us US Citizens (Midde Class) with a little less tax burden. Help stabilize the public transportation from shutting down for a few months. Help single mothers who have no other base of support.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Kratos40

Hmm...let me see. Almost 2 Billion dollars could have helped our infrastructure. Helped us US Citizens (Midde Class) with a little less tax burden. Help stabilize the public transportation from shutting down for a few months. Help single mothers who have no other base of support.

It is an arms SALE. They are paying for it. It is not a US Govt give away for free deal.

So no, it could not have helped as you think it could have.

P

edit on 17/12/2015 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   

LOL - oh man I just knew there would be an emphasis on Naval assets in the package and sure enough two Frigates surplus to requirements have been added.

This assists the US to enforce, by proxy, existing maritime treaties in relation to China's new-found-land in the Sth China Sea.

God bless the "house of war".

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358
In the end, who do you think pays for this? Us....USA tax payers. Oh I totally agree, its a giveaway, at U.S. taxpayers expence.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

LOL - oh man I just knew there would be an emphasis on Naval assets in the package and sure enough two Frigates surplus to requirements have been added.

This assists the US to enforce, by proxy, existing maritime treaties in relation to China's new-found-land in the Sth China Sea.

Yeah, they always sneak in those "provisions" into those House packages. That or the Gubbermint was going to shut down (throw a fit if they didnt get paid) because of blah, blah, blah

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

I am so tired of this bovine scatology!!!!! We as American taxpayers are monetarily bleeding out. Do you accept the absurd amount of taxes that gets taken out of your paycheck?
Are you ok with that?
Let me know here in this rant....what do you think.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Obama Administration Authorizes $1.83 Billion Arms Sale To Taiwan Reuters, in the hope Tiwan will join the US in the encirclement of China and agree to used a proxy army to lay seige to and slowly participate in the US plans to conqur China as per the Wolfowitz doctrine that declares that the rise of Russia or any other country cannot be permitted, because the US is the Uni-power and cannot tolerate any constraint on its unilateral actions.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Just poke the dragon a few more times

WWIII just got closer

It makes me wonder, there must be something serious going on in the worlds political sphere. Something we dont know about.
One doesnt give away 2 billion in arms if they dont have a purpose.
Thats beyond political posturing
Somebody knows something

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
How the hell is everyone misinterpreting the word SALE. We (USA) SOLD them stuff, aka they (Taiwan) GAVE us 1.83 billion dollars. Seriously people, learn to read.

The U.S. State Department said Raytheon and Lockheed Martin were the main contractors in the sales.

edit on 17-12-2015 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Ironically that maybe someday you could fighting against your own weapons ,the you earn twice the money as an weapons dealer..

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Taiwanese money is just as green as anybody else's. China can go cry a river.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Meh, a little profit from the sale, a little money saved by increased Taiwan naval support that frees up the U.S. navy.

Oh yes, these 'tactics' were learnt from the Masters....God Save the King....

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Is $1.83 billion a lot of money these days? It is to me. But is it?
And why are the permanent security council members of the UN pretty much the biggest arms dealers

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZeussusZ

Is $1.83 billion a lot of money these days? It is to me. But is it?
And why are the permanent security council members of the UN pretty much the biggest arms dealers

To the government it's an interest payment. Sad but true.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Other way round Taiwan are paying for it

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

It makes me wonder, there must be something serious going on in the worlds political sphere. Something we dont know about.
One doesnt give away 2 billion in arms if they dont have a purpose.
Thats beyond political posturing
Somebody knows something

China is attempting to expand its territories into international waters.

Add to that that there are chinese warships within the territorial seas of USA.

Of course USA is reacting. I don't blame them.

edit on 17-12-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   

It's an Arms Sale Kratos.

Taiwan is PAYING the US 1.83 Billion, not the other way around.

What are you mad about?

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I lived in Taiwan for many years. This sale is a good move for both the US and Taiwan. It will help keep China in check so to speak. What America needs, and what is good for Taiwan, is for the Taiwanese military, in particular the Taiwanese navy and air force, to be a credible "threat" to the Chinese military. Now of course the Taiwanese military will never be on par with the Chinese. But what is best is if the Taiwanese are seen by China as being "dangerous enough". The good news in Taiwan is that the Taiwanese and the Chinese are slowly and to some extent quietly solving their mutual problems. To keep that process going, there needs to be a kind of military balance between the two sides.

take care,
Brian
p.s. the Taiwanese government is very good about paying it's bills, so this is a boon to the American economy, not a drag on it.

new topics

top topics

join