It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yale students sign petition to repeal first amendment

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

TY

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Why not? The "living breathing document" crowd does it every day.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: reldra

Watching the entire video, though, the guy with the petition kind of rambles on. He talks about changing parts of the constitution often and that it is a living document and that it should be a 'safe place'- God only knows what busy students on the way to class make of that.

There's really no excuse. If it was that easy to get them to sign it, I could only imagine what a charismatic politician could do.

University students have always experimented with odd ideas. Today it is 'safe spaces. triggers. safe speech', same stuff, different decade, I think. They will not leave University like that.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Why not? The "living breathing document" crowd does it every day.

No they don't. That's just silly hyperbole.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
What one can conclude from this tempest in a teapot event is that all kids do stupid things and Ivy league students are not an exception. This is laugh for many because the "best and brightest" are not necessarily either.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

University students have always experimented with odd ideas. Today it is 'safe spaces. triggers. safe speech', same stuff, different decade, I think. They will not leave University like that.

Let's hope so. Safe speech, trigger warnings and safe spaces do not exist outside of these schools. They'll be in for a rude awakening.

On a lighter note, South Park satirized the sh*t out of PC this last season:

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

I am fairly certain these students are well-informed and their agenda is to take away freedom of speech in order to keep people's feelings from getting hurt. I encountered this kind of thinking from the far left at my liberal arts college when I attended there a few years ago.
edit on 16pmWed, 16 Dec 2015 17:29:43 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
So this thread got me thinking about the constitution and the process to change it, and I found a few things I'd like to share with the class.

Approximately 11,372 attempts have been made to amend the constitution since March 4 1789. (as of Dec 2008)
27 amendments were successful.
10 of them, being the bill of rights, were ratified all at once.

To simply propose an amendment requires 2/3 of Congress (house and senate) to agree its worth considering.
To ratify a new amendment requires 3/4 of those windbags to all agree it's a good idea.

There are a total of 535 Members of Congress. (100 in the Senate, 435 in the House) 402/535 = 3/4

Only once has an amendment been repealed.

Just sayin
edit on 16-12-2015 by ApparentlyStupid because: for clarity

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

This is a sign of the times, the birth pangs of the New World Order. The Nazi formula for dissemination of propaganda is paying it's first dividends through "institutions of distinction" where tomorrows leaders are molded that can go on to be Captains of industry, finance, economics and politics.

With the erosion of the 1st amendment, comes a sharper focus on the erosion of the 2nd amendment, thereafter it will be totalitarian compliance with the wishes of the state....or you will be labeled a terrorist and dealt with accordingly.

#### these politically correct snowflakes - the "Hitler youth" of the New World Order.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Ironically, freedom includes the right to relinquish that freedom.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Complete and total BS nonsense!

That video was a complete joke!

Nice try and all but, some folks can still see through the murky wade of total #te!

LOL

Next.....

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

This video wasn't the first from this guy and I'm sure it will not be the last. He appears to be a part of the Fox News team and will continue to produce videos for them.

So the "next" will be coming shortly.
edit on 16-12-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
This world has gone completely bat crap crazy with the PC

BullCRAP!!!!!!

It's truly out of god damn control.

Truth is truth guys...it is that simple!

1+1 = 2....it really does boil down to that simplicity.

If your feel bads get hurt then, maybe you should look in the mirror and try to get a bit tougher.

Life is LIFE...it doesn't get easier.

LIFE is HARD.

DEAL with it or get out...real quick!

Pansies don't survive around these parts at ALL!

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

And each individual has that right to cede their rights.

What individuals DON'T have, is the right to remove other people's rights.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I can't read all this.... What number of students that signed this make a "solid majority"?

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

For yourself, but not for me.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Who? The couple of kids who signed this petition? They're in the vast minority and their opinion on free speech will be inconsequential.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: ketsuko

Who? The couple of kids who signed this petition? They're in the vast minority and their opinion on free speech will be inconsequential.

When people aren't even honest with the actual number, then everything else that they say is suspect.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I can hear the bones of my ancestors rolling over in their graves. I could join the D.A.R. if I wanted to put forth the work.
Let's send the Yale students to Syria to get an idea what we the people of the USA has worked hard for centuries. Some times you have to live the experience to understand an idea. Their idea, is the stupidest idea I have heard all week.
edit on 16-12-2015 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: peskyhumans

He didn't change the meaning.

"I want to repeal the first amendment because we shouldn't allow bullying"

"Our entire Constitution should be a safe zone"

"Repeal the first amendment because people shouldn't be exposed to offensive language"

He didn't say anything to change the meaning of the petition. They signed it because they don't believe in free speech.

Believe it or not, free speech allows for offensive language. No part of our Constitution protects you from bullying. In a free country citizens are allowed to say offensive things.

The problem is the liberal politically correct mindset. It doesn't belong in a free country.

Free speech allows offensive people to be offensive, you are right about that. I am curious though, when people have the choice, they choose to be offensive? I think they have always liked to be offensive, that they weren't raised right, and are using the current political atmosphere to defend themselves. Though, they were always allowed to be offensive, they now have a tool to attempt to make themselves not look like complete jerks.

My mindset is just fine. I cannot fathom how not being mean, at will, would be a problem.

That doesn't have ANYTHING to do with this thread. If people are stupid enough to want to repeal the 1st amendment, they are in essence, sewing their own lips together so they can no longer speak on their behalf regarding these things (and many others):

1st Amendment:

Freedom of Speech
Freedom of Religion
Freedom of Assembly
Freedom of the Press
Freedom of Petition

Who terminates their own rites to the above? Only an idiot.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join