It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we have different construction of nomenclature for different hatred or bigotry?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

That is exactly what I just said, is it not!

I'm anti-Christ(ianity) eeek, but not anti-Christian. A shared understanding of definitions are crucial, no?

Woops yes you did just say that. I just revealed the extent of my attention span on a late afternoon.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

That's a relief. It's nearly midnight here and I re-read my post twice thinking I was losing the plot.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
...the key word being anti, not phobe.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Are you a phobophobe or the anti-phobe? I'll call you anti-phobe, I think.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Yep, anti-phobia but open to change if discussions develop

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I would rather guess that both have their conceptual roots in xenophobia which also makes an appearance and is the fear of anything foreign or strange. It's a handy word construction even if it's somewhat imprecise to the concept you wish to convey.

These days, anyone even against anything even remotely related to homosexuals or Islam invites being slapped with one of the two labels whether they are appropriate or not.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

What about homophonophobia? It's much more fun to say than anti-homophone, can we keep that one at least?

I think LesMisanthrope hit it on the head here. One would likely never attach the -phobe to something they considered a healthy or normal aversion rather they do it to feelings they wish to marginalize.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Thanks a lot, dude. I was going to start a nice, relaxing 4 day weekend tomorrow. Now I'm going to spend the whole time wondering if I'm anti-work, a workaphobe, or just lazy.

I suppose that's still better than having one of BuzzyWing's earworms stuck in my head the whole time.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I will admit to being antidisestablishmentarian.
I would not want to be called a disestablishmentophobe.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join