It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Echoes Of The Past

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Do you ever come across some of your old posts from this website and think to yourself "was that really me typing?"

I have. Sometimes I come across an old post or two that makes me shake my head in disbelief. Not necessarily because of anything particularly bad or nasty that was said, but rather because the person you currently are seems so distant from the person who was typing those views at the time. While I've only been registered since 2009, I have been a frequent visitor since about 2006 and some of my initial views have changed dramatically. I guess this is part and parcel of developing as a member on this website.

I think the saying "people never really change" doesn't carry much weight. Yes, maybe their basic behaviours and character flaws will always remain in some form, but their life experiences, external influences and their exposure to unfamiliar situations are sure to alter their life perspective in some manner. Whether this happens for better or for worse, I am not the one to judge.

So next time you come across a post of mine from six years ago, or even one from last week, that seems to register negatively with your mind, remember that I am just a continuously developing human being who also utilises the practice of hindsight. I have the right to change my views when presented with better information and I am not the person I once was, and will not always be the person that I am.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

I have the right to change my views when presented with better information and I am not the person I once was…

Same here. Been here since 2011. Although my knowledge of how we are manipulated hasn't changed much, the truth that I didn't know about world events before is vastly improved by members on this site.

Because its an alternative site, an alternative to what we were always taught. People willing to risk being shunned by society at large, looking for that alternate view, come to places like this.

There are always two sides to every story, thanks ATS.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I can't even fathom to look at any of my older posts. I'm the polar opposite now of what I once was, and my views have changed dramatically over the years. If only the interwebz came with a huge eraser...

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   

It's funny how the undertaking of what appears to be idle or even counterproductive banter can provide such a positive service of self-critical hindsight.

Without intention it seems that those of us who do reinspect our former views, attitudes and comments are tipping our collective hats to the Christian practice of individual daily journal keeping. Not the annals of kings and princes as immortalized by the scribes but, of average relatively insignificant people simply toiling to better themselves.

While our intentions are likely not quite as noble, the constructive effects can be nearly approximate.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

There are actually three sides to every story. Your side, My side, and the truth.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

It's funny how the undertaking of what appears to be idle or even counterproductive banter can provide such a positive service of self-critical hindsight.

Well said.

My perception of you tells me that we would be great friends outside of the internet. Your thoughts always highly resonate with mine. Always changing, always exploring, always experimenting with yourself. You seem to understand the concept of "self" more than most on here. Its refreshing to see someone break themselves and their surroundings down in a subjective, but "connected" sense. If or when you have children, I'm sure they'll grow up to be fine individuals if you pepper them with the same thought provoking mannerisms that you display on ATS. Have a nice day.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

There are actually three sides to every story. Your side, My side, and the truth.

Four, those that don't care…

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Four, those that don't care…

Yea, but if the truly didn't, they you would never know.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

The internal motivation for what I write has not changed. My polarity has not altered since I arrived here. My methods however? Yes, those have evolved. I am better at communicating my thoughts than ever, after being here since 2007, and I hope that the upward trend in my quality of communication continues.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I have that moment after reading my own stories I posted.

What's even scarier is reading what I used to write on another forum prior to this one; My own writing astonishes me (keep in mind, I was in middle-school when I was on that forum). I can still hear "me" in the posts, but my word choice is a bit poorly compared to now.

-foss

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Wonderful OP and great thread, S & F. I'm sure you speak for everyone there.

I used to keep a journal back in the '90s, which I kept going till 2002. Occasionally I read a couple of entries just to experience that strange, otherworldly feeling that a different person has penned this.

I know I am a very different person now, just a few years later.

We like to entertain the delusion that we are the same person throughout our lives, and we get very defensive if people point out that our views or attitudes have changed.

Occasionally a member (with waaay too much time on their hands) will scroll through my post history on ATS until they find one I made 3 years ago which contradicts what I am now saying...and triumphantly point this out to me.

I find that astonishing, and quite funny.

new topics

top topics

join