It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Butternut squash with applesauce

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Butternut squash is a quick and easy nutrition booster to a meal but they've never been one of our favorite veggies. My standard way of preparing them has been to cut in half, scoop out the seeds, butter the cut halves and give it a light sprinkle of brown sugar or a drizzle of honey then bake.
But the other evening I was in one of my "wonder how this would taste" moods as I removed the seeds. What if I filled that chamber with some tasty tidbit? I perused the fridge to see what might fill that void and compliment the squash. My eyes fell on a jar of applesauce with about a cup left so I spooned it into the squash and baked it until it was tender. Grated a little nutmeg on top and I think that was the best baked squash I've ever made.
Now I'm wondering how something savory, like sausage might work and wondering why I didn't grow more butternuts.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

YUM!
Try this...
Cut the squash in 1/2 and bake for about 30 minutes or so (350).
Scoop out a good bit of the "meat" of the squash after it is cooked and cooled a little
Cook some sausage (crumbled) maybe 1/2 pound per half.
When the sausage is cooking add an apple (2 if making both halves) cut into chunks. Peeled is best.
Cook gently with the sausage. When these are 3/4 of the way done, stop and drain really really well....
Now, add the squash "meat" when it is all about 3/4 of the way cooked. back to the pan, cook for about 10 minutes more...slow and low...

In a bowl mix some butter, brown sugar, salt, pepper, chopped walnuts. No measuring here, we just eyeball it!
Add the sausage mix back to the squash shell and dot the butter mix all over the top. Bake for about 25-30 minutes and you got a good savory treat...
I think it is rich and filling. Half of a half is almost too much but, when it's the holidays, who cares...Diets be damned!

Just had a thought:
In my holiday shopping I have noticed that the price of nuts in general has been jacked up...
I suppose instead of walnuts, you could use maybe a cereal that you already have, like a granola...
Or if someone had a nut allergy. I've never had it without but, I imagine it would taste just as good... it's kind of a textural thing anyway...if you don't overcook the apples, you got them...
Let me know how it turns out and photos are appreciated!

edit on 16-12-2015 by TNMockingbird because: more specific

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
My Step father got my son to eat butternut by cutting it up into 1/2 squares, and Frying it on the griddle (Over the campfire) with just a bit of bacon grease.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

cut in half, scoop out the seeds, butter the cut halves and give it a light sprinkle of brown sugar

That's my usual way, but I like for the flavor of the "base" to come through. If I make squash, I want to taste squash in there somewhere, not just a bunch of cinnamon or overly sweet because of the brown sugar. If I fix a stew, for example, I want the flavor of the meat/potatoes/vegetables to come out as one savory taste, not a bunch of spices/salt/pepper. I hate over spiced food. Not to say I dislike spicy food, just the ones so over spiced that it's all you taste.

TNMockingbird's recipe sounds Great! Gotta try that.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Oh, that sounds really yummy! The apples really do compliment the squash I think. And since I have an abundance of apples and some really good locally-made sausage, I'll be trying this soon. We have pecans so I'll be using those.

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Like you, I want my veggies to taste like veggies. However, just a light sprinkle of this or that sometimes makes a big difference. In our case, it is nutmeg that just seems to bring out the flavor of the squash without overpowering it.
I'm always amazed when I see people putting brown sugar on baked sweet potatoes. For me it's only butter. This year my sweet potatoes are the sweetest I've ever grown.

Here's a squash soup recipe that I really like. I make a really large pot of it and freeze it for later.

I bake at least a couple of squash to make it, cut in half and spread with butter, until tender. Let it cool, remove the flesh. Using a little butter I saute chopped onion and a touch of garlic then add chicken broth, chopped carrots and a sprinkle of salt and the squash flesh and simmer until everything is tender. I use an immersion blender to puree until it is smooth. I add a little half and half and return to the heat until bubbly. I serve it garnished with a bit of green onion and a grating of nutmeg. Some people like a dollop of sour cream as garnish.
Despite the dairy it does freeze well.

new topics

top topics

join