It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thai Man Faces 37 Years In Jail For Insulting The King's Dog.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Getting 37 years for insulting the King's dog is in my opinion utterly ludicrous. However, I have lived in Thailand for almost two years, and I can honestly say that the people love their King (I would say at least 95+%) and to my knowledge mostly agree with the hard punishment for people insulting the royal family. They show genuine love and have deep appreciation for this man. According to the Thai people he has done a lot of good for the country throughout the decades and he is indeed seen as a true father figure, demigod and role model for society. Of course, in Thailand you are getting bombarded (some people will say brainwashed) by endless amounts of huge billboards and "propaganda" feel good video's before cinema movies, but the fact remains that they truly admire and love him. Every house I have seen has at least a photograph of him hanging at the wall and/or a yellow flag waving in the wind.

But coming back to the news story itself, I live in a monarchy myself, the Netherlands, and also here it is forbidden by law to insult the King. There have been a couple of stories recently of people that have insulted the King here in the Netherlands and who have gotten punished for it. Obviously the laws in the Netherlands are less strict than in Thailand, but also here you need to watch what you say and do when it comes to the king.

For insulting the king, the heiress apparent, and their relatives, an offender may receive up to five years imprisonment plus a fine. In October 2007, a 47-year-old man was sentenced to one week imprisonment and fined €400 for, amongst other things, lèse-majesté in the Netherlands when he called Queen Beatrix a "whore" and told a police officer that he would have anal sex with her because "she would like it".

Source

Then there was also this man in 2013 who got 5 months in jail for throwing a tea light holder at the royal coach. It fuelled a hot debate and got wide media attention. Personally I absolutely disagree with one person or a family standing above the rest of society and I think most of the Dutch people would agree with me on this. But you have to understand that Thailand is a very collectivistic society while almost all Western societies are individualistic societies, which makes it harder for Westerners to really understand the culture and workings of a collectivistic society such as Thailand. For anyone who is interested to know a little bit more about cultural differences in societies, I advise you to check out the works of Geert Hofstede's. He has done extensive research on cultural differences around the globe.

And for us it may seem as a crazy, dictatorial law, but according to the Thai people it's the King who keeps society together and uses his ruling hand when necessary. It might also be important to know that the King is old and his health is quickly deteriorating. The people are scared of what might happen when he dies. His successor should be his son, but he apparently has been involved in a lot of controversial acts. Anyways, Thailand's future is very uncertain now that King probably won't live much longer and it's hard to predict what will happen if that day comes. Hopefully their society won't break down as much as I expect it to do.

This is by the way an excellent read on the sudden changes that Thailand might face in the very near future.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
a reply to: Enochstask

Yes I think it's on Netflix .
And I saw the same thing about prince Charles Vlad the impaler connection, if I was without sound mind I would believe them to be lizard people like some claimed they are.

(Thhhhpt!) He iiiith not a lithard people (Thhhhpt!)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I have no issue insulting thailands king. Hes just a normal man who thinks his station makes him more important than anyone else. He craps just like everyone else. "to the king"- You sir are a pompous fool who thinks your name makes you better than anyone else. truly thou art a Knave.
edit on 15000000ppam by yuppa because: changed donkey for fool.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: Spider879

Lost me when you said cray .

Cray is what young folks call crazy.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Well, Hell, if you insult my dog, I might lump you up a bit but no jail time

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: darepairman

Dont they eat dogs in thailand ?

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa Maybe the insult had something about BBQ sauce in it

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: darepairman

Dont they eat dogs in thailand ?

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
For members’ information, here is an article about the many ways in which you can get into trouble for ‘insulting’ the king of Thailand.

Saying anything negative about the monarchy to passengers in a car

The next time I have passengers in my car... I will be sure to be negative about the monarchy.

Staging a university play featuring a fictional one-eyed king

Unfortunately, I'm not a Broadway playwright. Else, I'd write a story about a one-eyed king in Thailand... because we all know a one-eyed king is less observant than a two-eyed king.

Writing a novel featuring characters that resemble members of the Thai royal family

I've got an ideal for a novel... however I'm not a writer. But if some writer want's to take my idea of how the Thai royal family sucks feline parts... They're welcome to the copyright.

Sending text messages critical of the monarchy to politicians

I just sent a text message to a friend describing how much suckage the Thai monarchy has.

'Liking' anything critical of the monarchy on Facebook

I just gave a thumbs up to someone who likes my post that was critical of the thai Monarchy.

Referring to anything from Thailand's history that could be construed as damaging the monarchy's image

Racism in Thailand

Questioning an elephant battle

Any practice that brings elephants to harm is ignorant, stupid, and harmful to the species continuity.

There's too many examples in your link for me to violate individually...

edit on 12/16/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/16/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Was the movie the King And I banned in Thailand??

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Yes.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Lèse majesté is the crime of violating majesty, an offence against the dignity of a reigning sovereign or against the state.

Them's the rules, people. You don't insult the sovereign and not face consequences if caught.

Sucks to be him.
edit on 12/16/2015 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

How true is it that the Queen of England can have someone bumped off without going to jail.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Completely untrue.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

Completely untrue.

Ok thanks been hearing that for sometime.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Seems rather unlikely in this day and age, doesn't it?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Yeah but who knows what archaic laws may still be on the books.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Just because they're on the books, doesn't mean they're followed, or ever would be

My own county in Washington state has a law on the books that allows for the hanging of horse thieves.

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

tell that to diana. Lol!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join