It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students practice calligraphy by writing "There is no god but Allah"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

As long as theology exists, there will be skeptics who have no problem challenging a public opinion on the subject. And most of them do it with words, not fists or guns. There are plenty of forums where theists can circle jerk in peace if criticism isn't what you're after.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I smell state sanctioned institutionalized education inlieu of knowledge because in learning the art of Calligraphy, the students need to be able to write all the characters of the alphabet (a Pangram) from a single line of words, like I had to...

"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"

Where is the letter "C"?

EDIT - OMG I am so dumb, I see the C rofl...
edit on 16-12-2015 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Firstly, lessons where religion is being pushed should be OPTIONAL, if the young person feels awkward then they should be allowed to skip it and secondly, why did they choose that particular phrase, apparently it was a history lesson and I'm pretty sure there are a million and one other very beautiful writings that are not religious and would serve brilliantly as a calligraphy / historical based lesson.

We have to stop pushing religion of any sorts, let the youth learn important issues and then make their own mind up when they can fully understand religion as a whole. Telling a five year old that god made the universe in 7 days is like taking a World of Warcraft player to a strip club, there's no way they can take it all in.....(Apologies to WOW players...)

There's also a hell of a lot of darkness to religion that a young mind cannot understand, forcing it on them is both cruel and can alter their future views on life..

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Mclaneinc

I think General religious education is very important. There is a difference between saying, for example, in Christianity they believe this this and this, and this is their calendar of events, and doing that for Islam, Hindu, Buddahists, Paganism.

And declaring, a god created the world in 7 days and spouting it as fact rather than explaining it to be an ideology believed by a certain branch of Christian faith.

Education of cultures and different customs can never be a negative thing, by choosing to ignore religion as a part of people's lives and giving into ignorance you are more than likely to make everything worse and cause isolation then teaching children and adults about inclusion and understanding.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join