It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian Pt Nuclear Facility (25mi to NYC) the next Fukushima?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

7mos ago an IPN plant transformer exploded and it was all over the news the settled down.

But just 2 week ago, 10 control rods 'dropped' into the reactor core, not sure of whether reactor 1 or 2 but that kind of reminds me of the early stages of the Fukushima meltdown even thought it seemed they wére able to stabilize it for a while following their huge quake back on 3/11/2011

With Fukushima, at least evac was possible, to at least 50 miles away; Tokyo for example is almost 200 miles away, whereas NYC is barely 25 miles from IPN, rendering even the greater NY area vulnerable to heavy radiation following an IPN disaster

nY C metro area (5 boros only) is around 25 million people whereas Fukushima population even before meltdown was much less than even half a million

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Plantagenet

I sure hope not...

But I thought the issue with Fukushima was that it was dozens (hundreds? idk) of spent fuel rods all in one place, and it was the perfect sh** storm scenario where the worst thing that could happen, did.

Maybe I'm just being too optimistic..

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
With 50 times the population near by we will have 50 timed as many victims.
Do the math on that one......

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Via NBC

An electrical disturbance at New York's Indian Point nuclear power plant caused one of its reactors to shut down, its operator said late Monday.

Entergy, which runs the plant around 30 miles north of New York City, said no radioactivity was released and there was no threat to the public or staff at the site.

Indian Point's Unit 3 reactor automatically shut down "safely, as designed" at around 7 p.m. Monday, Entergy said in a statement.

So, hopefully just a minor thing that they can easily handle...

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
A big difference is Fukushima was triggered and exacerbated by a major Earthquake and subsequent Tsunami.

Taken on their own the plant probably could have shutdown or controlled the scenario but taken together was out of scope of shutdown protocols.

What happened in the event the OP listed was planned for the automatic systems did what they were supposed to therefore other than being NPP's what is the correlation between the two plants?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
It was an anti nuke thread that went nowhere . Just has Christmas dinner with a bunch of nuke workers. 2 eyes bald headed like the rest of us. Oh they like expensive beer.

edit on 15-12-2015 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I just checked on the map. Seems like I'm less than 50 miles from Indian Point. If something goes wrong, I'll let you know guys.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Regarding Indian Point NPP as well as other old obsolete NPPs, not just in the US but in Europe as well, I would say just one thing...
Move quickly with proper maintenance where needed, and reactor de-activation/replacement where required. Any significant reactor failure would be a very serious hit to the western nuclear energy industry and would inevitably lead other players in the market of nuclear energy technologies closer to the market monopoly.
That will also lead to massive dependency of the west on foreign crude oil.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I remember living in that area and having to do the disaster drills, and know where the emergency evac stops were for the family. We would get iodine and instructions every year from Westchester County Govt. and each time those came in the mail it was scary as hell, knowing that we were that close to a potential meltdown disaster.

Then the report came out on the NYC CBS station that they caught guards sleeping and people could just sneak into the plant at will. Westchester County assured everyone that it was a one time incident but you have to wonder.

That would be more what I am concerned about with INdian Point, someone sneaking in and causing a disaster, than the plant itself melting down due to incompetence.

top topics

join