It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to abolish political correctness?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Child suspended from school for saying "Merry Christmas"
Thats what we're talking about when we say "PC nut jobs"

That story is now in the hoax bin.
Because it didn't happen.

Ah! Thanks I didn't know that.

However there are plenty more examples that didn't get thrown in the hoax bin. However op has expressed that this only be about his question.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You poor, poor victim ...

I'm sorry if you chose to assume that using an example based a discussion you were already having was "not addressing the main question."

I could have tried it using faith, and then you would have spent all that time yelling about Christian victimhood.

I did indeed address you point by explaining exactly why PC is a problem. Go back and see for yourself.

Yea, I already KNOW you think PC is a problem. This is why I'm accusing you of not bringing anything to the table. You just brought the same standard arguments against PC that anti-PC always bring. I've heard them all before. I want to know what you plan on DOING about it now.

link   
a reply to: DAZ21

Lol , the irony is so thick!

You want laws against speech. Fantastic.

link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific the story was posted on ATS then went straight to the hoax bin.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Well pc principal saves the day in that.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

The sarcasm was thick also...

Although now I think about it, it sounds like a great idea. Kids don't have freedom of speech anyway.

I think I'm on to something.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: DBCowboy

I don't want to put filters on you, just want people to stop crying when they say something stupid and get called out.

Or freak out when some one doesn't say Christmas.

PC is all about a societal enforcement of filters.

I have yet to shed a single tear on this thread. Yet many have made it clear that THEY are the ones offended by my speech.

As for Christmas?

I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Should I have to feel ashamed or be bullied because I mention to a coworker that I brought a brown bag lunch?

Nope, but we shouldn't use the small percentage of incidents involving an issue to prove there is one right?

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You poor, poor victim ...

I'm sorry if you chose to assume that using an example based a discussion you were already having was "not addressing the main question."

I could have tried it using faith, and then you would have spent all that time yelling about Christian victimhood.

I did indeed address you point by explaining exactly why PC is a problem. Go back and see for yourself.

Yea, I already KNOW you think PC is a problem. This is why I'm accusing you of not bringing anything to the table. You just brought the same standard arguments against PC that anti-PC always bring. I've heard them all before. I want to know what you plan on DOING about it now.

What's the plan on DOING something about it? Hmmm, elect trump....

link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So how is telling people they shouldnt be pc not dictating the message?

You are telling me I can't convey the message I want...

Nope. Place all the filters you want on what you say. I don't care.

But don't place YOUR filters on what I say.

Don't worry, you are free to make a fool out of yourself anytime you like.

Just don't get pissie when someone points it out....

And there has a to a point at which people just plain put a muzzle on it.

Should I have to feel ashamed or be bullied because I mention to a coworker that I brought a brown bag lunch?

In some place, someone might decide I was being racist. Don't I have a right to get "pissie" if someone decides to police my speech and bully me for saying brown bag?

Sorry, to me that just sounds like BS, hyperbole and playing the victim card.

Don't be bullied...punch em in the ****in nose.

edit on 15-12-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

link   

Strawman.

You're acting as if terminology is the only part of "PC culture" that exists with your example.

And to answer your question these racists and homophobes say they're just being "honest", "have no filter" and my personal favourite "traditional values" as if that's some sort of force field from criticism.

So, there is that.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Thanks, you too.

I'm not offended at all, actually was a good laugh while I take the trolly back home from a nice afternoon downtown.

If you want to say societal enforcement then the anti pc crowd is trying to do the same thing. When people grandstand about being anti they are trying to push a societal norm, IMHO.

Like all the people worshiping the feet of trump for being so anti, they want that to be the norm.
edit on thTue, 15 Dec 2015 15:03:24 -0600America/Chicago1220152480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

Helllo Reality!

Some subjects are awkward and emotive and need to be discussed, however the language used to discuss them is a choice. You can choose to offend or not.

I am not great at thinking before I speak, and last week at work I had to apologise in an email to a group of people for calling them 'My Translating Marketeers'... In a jovial, 'i know this is a boring task but we all have to grit out teeth and do it' way. but that is what they were doing!?

My manager said this was 'ultra sensitive' but I still had to apologise. I don't want to cause offence, and I will moderate my language in order not to offend people, even if I thought it was OK, but clearly to that person it wasn't.

link   

No, because we can't stop it through legislation. That seems to be what you want to hear people say.

People have to learn the old saw: Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones but Names Can Never Hurt Me.

We've started a culture that never wants their feelings to get hurt and believes that they never should have hurt feelings, and we've taught them that if anything does hurt their feelings, then it must be someone else's express fault through malicious intent. It can't be anything inside themselves that helps cause it. This is from false self-esteem among other things.

It's frankly anti-reality, but then when their feelings get hurt, we create safe spaces and microagressiona and all manner of other problems to explain it and then we fix those problems, usually at someone else's expense.

link   

In order to stop it, we need to stop mass shaming everyone...

Stop mass shaming racists homophobes and all other bigots?

No thanks.

They deserve to wear that shame in public if you ask me.

So you want to bully people?

Awww you're worried about bigot's feels...

Do you want me to stop?

How PC of you.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific

No, you can't.

An offensive subject is offensive no matter how many eggshells you walk on.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAZ21
Actually krazyshot, I believe we can abolish the PC culture.

You may have heard in schools they are indoctrinating kids with this nonsense by creating the mantra, ' there are no losers only participants'.

Well there's your answer, we need to create legislation that stops this nonsense at a young age. so that kids get offended again and get used to it.

This society we have created where people take offense against anything said is the problem, the cure is to make people tougher again and that starts at a young age.

There you go, I solved your silly problem.

So your answer to stop the usage of free speech is to have government intervention to curtail it? Sounds totalitarian and thought police-ish to me.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

In order to stop it, we need to stop mass shaming everyone...

Stop mass shaming racists homophobes and all other bigots?

No thanks.

They deserve to wear that shame in public if you ask me.

So you want to bully people?

Awww you're worried about bigot's feels...

Do you want me to stop?

How PC of you.

How do you know if they are bigots? Can you read their minds?

What if someone said something you perceived as racist and you raked them over the coals for it, and they weren't actually racist. They just expressed themselves in a manner you didn't like?

And frankly, that's what PC is ... worrying about everyone else's feels. It seems shade hypocritical not to worry about the person you don't like's feels.
edit on 15-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

No, because we can't stop it through legislation. That seems to be what you want to hear people say.

People have to learn the old saw: Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones but Names Can Never Hurt Me.

They sure do, and that goes for the anti-PC people just as much as the PC people. Being called a racist doesn't kill or maim you right?

We've started a culture that never wants their feelings to get hurt and believes that they never should have hurt feelings, and we've taught them that if anything does hurt their feelings, then it must be someone else's express fault through malicious intent. It can't be anything inside themselves that helps cause it. This is from false self-esteem among other things.

It's interesting that you talk about "feelings" when the anti-PC people complain about PC because their feelings are hurt that they keep getting called bigot or other variations of that word for the things they say.

It's frankly anti-reality, but then when their feelings get hurt, we create safe spaces and microagressiona and all manner of other problems to explain it and then we fix those problems, usually at someone else's expense.

Trying to change society outside of legislation to be nicer to each other is a futile effort?
edit on 15-12-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Thanks, you too.

I'm not offended at all, actually was a good laugh while I take the trolly back home from a nice afternoon downtown.

If you want to say societal enforcement then the anti pc crowd is trying to do the same thing. When people grandstand about being anti they are trying to push a societal norm, IMHO.

Like all the people worshiping the feet of trump for being so anti, they want the to be the norm.

I think there is a difference between societal enforcement and those that fight against societal enforcement.

Some filters we all share, others, we don't. Like I have stated, I sure would NOT want to force you to speak using my filters. That would infringe on your constitutional right to free expression.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join