It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just curious about a celestial object (might be a nebula) need confirmation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

I recently got the "Night Sky" app for my iPhone..
It is a decent app as I enjoy night sky gazing, and it really is a great reference tool for identifying all the many different lights in the evening sky..

It has many features and I have explored them over fairly well, but I find myself unsatisfactorily curious about one specific feature and would very much like the assistance of the expertise available here at my internet home..

The app is astronomy type apps where you point your phone up into the sky (or any direction really) and it gives you the sky chart in realtime including all major and minor celestial bodies both natural and man made....

Now, to my question...
There is a feature that apparently affects the background and is controlled by a light spectrum slider with "radio waves" to the far left and "ultraviolet " to tu far right... The Default is visible light, and this is where I see the image only..

Is this a nebula? If so, which one?
Is this just background "art" of the milkyway?..
It interests me because of the ghostly face..

imgur.com...
edit on 15-12-2015 by defuntion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
tis just a rendering showing the location of the galaxy.....which runs just off Polaris....tis not at all accurate

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
You can use bbcode like HTML. Multiple lines will not yield the same results.
edit on -06:00Tue, 15 Dec 2015 08:52:03 -0600201515America/Chicago2015-12-15T08:52:03-06:0031vx12 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: defuntion
Hello ATS,

I recently got the "Night Sky" app for my iPhone..
It is a decent app as I enjoy night sky gazing, and it really is a great reference tool for identifying all the many different lights in the evening sky..

It has many features and I have explored them over fairly well, but I find myself unsatisfactorily curious about one specific feature and would very much like the assistance of the expertise available here at my internet home..

The app is astronomy type apps where you point your phone up into the sky (or any direction really) and it gives you the sky chart in realtime including all major and minor celestial bodies both natural and man made....

Now, to my question...
There is a feature that apparently affects the background and is controlled by a light spectrum slider with "radio waves" to the far left and "ultraviolet " to tu far right... The Default is visible light, and this is where I see the image only..

Is this a nebula? If so, which one?
Is this just background "art" of the milkyway?..
It interests me because of the ghostly face..

imgur.com...

Well there is a lot of interstellar medium that surrounds Polaris, but that isn't what it really looks like. Collectively the nebula is a "dark nebula" known as the Polaris Flare.
deepskycolors.com...
Most phone apps are somewhat unrealistic and unreliable in their representation of the night sky and the locations and morphologies of nebulae. I recommend Sky Safari Pro for high accuracy information on the locations of dark nebulae like Polaris Flare.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
tis just a rendering showing the location of the galaxy.....which runs just off Polaris....tis not at all accurate

Ok
I can't seem to embed the image, but you see what I am talking about?

Above Polaris and to the left in that screenshot..

Is it supposed to be a nebula? No?
What is it?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: defuntion

My brother has that app. We were outside one night and he pointed it at the sky, saying there should be a spent booster floating by right now, but I don't see it.

I looked close at the sky and there it was, being tracked in real time by the phone app, right where it displayed it on his phone.

That was kind of neat.

Fixing your link… ATS doesn't allow 'hot linking' to sources outside ATS, it costs money. Use the icon provided in the post window (square with arrow), provide a label, and…

link

Edit: I see you got it.
edit on 15-12-2015 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Wa reply to: defuntion

Ok....

I am hearing just bad, inaccurate representation of Polaris flare nebula..?

Cool..
As I somewhat expected, because I don't see this with the naked eye at all even on clear dark nights..

Thanks

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: defuntion

Thanks everyone who replied...

Love ATS because of folks like you..

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Looks like the Polaris nebula, which is part of a complex known as Integrated Flux Nebluae: www.galaxyimages.com...

It's basically concentrations of interstellar dust that reflects dim light from all stars in the Milky Way.

top topics

join