It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global supermarkets selling shrimp peeled by slaves

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ummm...thank you sir...That's an effort that I could certainly emulate...
Lets see...I own a Samsung note 3 phone...Samsung TV's......shop locally for my food...fill my freezer with all local...Eggs are from our friend my daughters boss...
My car's European and my SUV is American made...My desktop is an apple though...and my clothing are thrift store...

I appreciate your honesty and effort...it's refreshing...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir
I don't want you to think I am making light of the situation, or trying to pick a fight with you, but eating shrimp is a small evil, compared to our addiction to electronics devices. Do you know how many children and whole villages suffer from our irresponsible ownership and disposal of electronic devices?

Child miners face death for tech

Gives a whole new meaning to a smart phone or gaming system to die for.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Ummm...It must be nice to live where the seafood is always fresh...I live at least an eight hour drive from any coast...
I also live in a very rural setting with no large cities closer than a three hour drive...

It would be nice to have fresh...frozen and previously frozen are the catch of the day up here...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Ummm...Ultimately it's up to the individual to ascertain and develop their own lifestyle...I get that...I merely brought up the subject because I read the story online and thought I would share it here...That and it caused me to think about how the shrimp I had eaten the previous week may have passed through the hands of persons such as those depicted in the report by the AP...
I merely wanted to start a broader conversation...that's all...

You see...I have a mind that searches for connections...I write about that frequently...not only that I'm cursed with empathy...For some inexplicable reason...I actually care about those connections and people out there that populate this world...

Thank you for shining more light onto this problem that's faced and lived by people on the edge of societies...
Thank you for helping illustrate how our penchant to progress is in more cases than not built on the backs of slavery and usury...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
There's a lot of products in the west that are produced wholly or in part by slavery.

I don't know what you find more sad.
There's child labor for shrimp and many other products.
We all know about Nike's labor practices.
China has made themselves a global economic power on the back of factories which are essentially slavery.
And even the US when we outlawed slavery, we left it in place for prisoners. These days prisoners are forced to work under threat of torture making a lot of products... and they've lobbied congress to make it a secret to know what items are produced with prison labor.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir
Global supermarkets selling shrimp peeled by slaves

I think that if we looked deeply enough, we will find such suffering in the flavor of anything you eat, from an organic carrot to a beefsteak!
This awareness relates to Karma, for those who believe.
The dilemma is twofold; not only are we responsible for the slavery, but also for the death of the creature that we are consuming (whether a carrot or a cow)!
So how can we even feed ourselves without taking on this heavy Karmic responsibility?
Even growing our own doesn't eliminate the dilemma.

The bible suggests that Charity, a feature of unconditional Love, means not taking more than your share of anything! Ever!
Thus limiting karmic involvement.
It also suggests that all food is 'clean', and that you will bypass all karma by consuming (your fair share) with "prayer and thanksgiving".
There is always pain in the world, and suffering;

"We sometimes get what we want, but we ALWAYS get exactly what we need!"
Always!

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I find it very interesting that those of us that we think are the most evil and destructive, will vehemently deny being so.

We can see the evil and the harm that others do, yet we are often completely blind to our own deeds, of equal or greater evil and harm.

This primordial characteristic most be necessary for survival, I see no other explanation for it.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
While of course I feel bad for slaves, mistreated workers in sweatshops across the globe and all that.... but what makes this particular (shrimp) issue any different than any of the other objects or gadgets we have in our homes and offices?

I can see how this particular article may have pulled on your heartstrings, and I don't blame you for that, but its everywhere about everything (almost).

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The sad truth of the matter is that slave labour is never going to go away.

So long as crony corporate pigs continue to collect their dividends, and consumers continue to demand cheaper products... sweatshops are here to stay.

We're all guilty as charged.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Ummm...hello Aazadan...Your absolutely correct...I can't fault you for anything you've stated here...

I find it all sad...all of it...every instance...I think however that the fault might lie at the feet of consumerism...
Not only there though...but at the feet of governments and especially at the feet of the corporations and their shareholders...
I think that this headlong advance toward globalization is the major engine that uses up the fringe...that grinds these people under it's heel...that does not care one whit for the means as long as the end goal is realized...

It all comes back to justification...on a global scale...on a regional scale...in a corporate sense...and individually...

Sweep it all away under the hem of the carpet...Who really gives a crap about that child three countries over...as long as we get to sip our wine and fork another shrimp into our mouths as we fill the air with...small talk...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22
I think it was more of a small epiphany.

I know how hard it hit me when I first found out how our unnecessary materialism was contributing to the harm being done to children, and whole areas of our planet. I wanted to try to do something to be more accountable.

That is why I have a storage shed and a garage full of old broken, outdated, or unusable electronic devices. I refuse to get rid of them until I know they will be responsibly recycled or destroyed. I know it doesn't make that much difference in the long run, but it makes me feel a little better.

I know that there are some people that feel that our materialism is providing the poor with jobs, but no one should have to sacrifice their life for less than 5 dollars a day, or have to live under such horrible and deplorable conditions.

I have not bought a cell phone or an electronic device in over 10 years. In fact I don't even own a cell phone, and my electronic devices, I get from family members when they do an upgrade. Saves another device from going to the landfill, and I don't care about the latest and greatest anyway.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

Ummm...indeed it is in virtually every aspect of our daily lives...glaringly so...We just can't see it...The new of the item shines more brilliantly than any consideration of how what or why...

Thoughts of veganism aside...I've been down that road...I've hated myself for the very fact that merely by existing I cause other life to die...Then I realized that I'm just a lowly territorial animal...a lactating mammal...an omnivore...I tried the route of vegetarianism until my body screamed out for further sustenance...I've been there...

I finally learned to accept what I am...to find joy in that acceptance...to move on from self berating and study what my place in this wonderful kaleidoscope of life here on this rock is...

Further beyond all that...it doesn't expiate me from considering who what and why the food reaches my plate or the clothes cover my body or the shoes my feet...It doesn't excuse a lack of consideration for where...by whom...and how...
Now I know something which i had never considered before...The shrimp I consumed may have been shelled by a small child standing on a stool for long hours...and longer days...How could I ever hope to be that same person that existed before I learned such a thing...

How could any of us...?

YouSir

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Not these days. I'm in a landlocked state.

Do miss Red Snapper and Blue Crab...

I.. just have to... go without. Til I visit family that is.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Ummm...I don't know...I don't know if they're evil...or merely burying their humanity underneath a skin of greed...
It's not for me to say...perhaps they are...I really can't tell...

What I will say is we exist in small circles...By that I mean beyond the psychopath...we have our small circle of friends family and acquaintances that we let into our personal spaces...These are whom we reserve the closest ties..the emotional connections...By externalizing everyone else...it insulates us so that we can continue to function in some semblance of normalcy...

I on the other hand like a good many of my fellow human beings...for some reason am extroverted in the sense that for whatever the reason I think about those other lives out there...I care about them and wish them well...Just as I do you...and every other person that lives...

I will say that I'm not something any greater than any of the rest of you...I'm not better or smarter...fact is I consider myself rather ignorant...there's far...far more to discern than I have time in an infinite number of lives to learn...I'm content with that...

Are they evil...I really don't know...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic
Blue crab used to be protected in Maryland. Crabs, Oysters and Tobacco were the ruling commodities in Maryland when I was a child.

The people were near religious when it came to protecting their waters and the seafood. That was before big business and greed stepped in.

I think the only place that is still protective of their local fare like that today, is Minnesota. I might be wrong, but I think they still protect the Walleye up there. Now that is something that I miss. Nothing better than Walleye fresh out of the lake and into the pan.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
all I can say is....what else is new

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Ummm...that's what's so glaring to me...it isn't different...it's more of the same...In every walk of our consumerist life...the chance that someone subjugated beyond their will...someone enslaved...produced what you or I now handle or consume is commonplace...

Should it have been another item rather than shrimp...?
I think your much better than that...I think you already know the answer...I've followed just about everyone posting here's general tone and level of understanding throughout the years I've been a member here...your anything but stupid...Young compared to me...but willfully ignorant your not...

Maybe this particular issue just struck that final chord...Maybe it only had to do with considerations of how many hands had touched that shrimp I ate last week...and further considerations or imaginings of the possible plight of that person behind the hands...and a compassion for them in that moment that guided my hands to record that instance here...
Maybe that's all it should ever need...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Ummm...that we are my friend...that we are...

...here's to hoping that such consideration doesn't fall prey to the slow march of short attention span...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Ummm...what else is new...?
Perhaps the fact that you commented here...which leads me to believe that the OP affected you on some level...therefore your self defensive comment that assumed "There is nothing new under the sun Horatio"...
Perhaps there isn't...It still doesn't equate knowledge or discernment with callous disregard...at least not in my mind

I really can't say what thoughts might wander about in the mind of the person hiding behind the screen name...Jimmyx

All I can relate is what I've discerned...after all...I thought that's what this place we all gather to reflect on any number of topics under sun and moon...was...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Maybe you need to reflect on everything you've stated in this thread...your words are there on the big screen for all the world to see...

YouSir

As are yours.

Slavery in any form is awful, Any of us would stop it if we could, certainly not take part in it. But if you want to make everyone feel guilty for eating shrimp, (Kind of implied by your thread premise and title) then remember, there are a lot of other industries that exploit child labor, and you may not even know it. Your Nike shoes, might have been made in a sweatshop. So stop wearing shoes, it's for the kids.

I get the humanity part, but don't link it to shame for the non involved. It's poor form. (IMHO)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join