It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global supermarkets selling shrimp peeled by slaves

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Ummm...then why did you even comment in this thread...A thread about modern slavery and how the product discussed is then disseminated throughout the world to be consumed by an affluent society...

You first pridefully state that your the Kung Fu master of shrimp peeling ...In effect comparing yourself to that little girl on the stool who's forced by a modern slave trade to to do the same...

Then you end your diatribe...by castigating me...for even giving a damn...

I can peel, devein, butterfly, batter, bread and fry a 100 pounds of shrimp, fresh out of the Gulf, in a 10 hour shift. I developed this skill as a young teen working in a restaurant. No one ever threatened to beat me. I took pride in my skill that I had developed. Enjoy your damn shrimp and drop the guilt. I'm doing other things these days, but I am still a Kung Fu master of preparing seafood.

Good for you sir...bravo...
May your day be better than those who are forced to do that which your evidently proud to accomplish...

Maybe you need to reflect on everything you've stated in this thread...your words are there on the big screen for all the world to see...
What do you say you drop the Off Topic and talk about the real issue of modern human slavery and trafficking...?

YouSir

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Interesting. Would like to see some evidence on this claim. Those I know (including myself) are allergic to all of these dirty bottom feeders, be they langostines or good 'ol shrimp.

I'm not talking about all allergic reaction to shrimp, but one that is specific to warm water shrimp that is not so uncommon.

For the refs, as usual when asked for them I cannot find them back.

The only thing I can tell is from memory: Some time ago I began experiencing allergic reaction to shrimp. I have never been allergic to seafood before and usually eat a lot. The lot causing the problem does not seem to be unfresh. My research at the time resulted that warm water shrimp is in contact with warm water coral that is full of natural toxin and the shrimp assimilate them. Don't remember is this was related to histidine or histamine pseudo-allergic reaction. It seem lately the market as been flooded with cheap warm water products.

The fact is, now I only eat cold water shrimp and never get these reactions back.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: korath

Ummm...hello Korath...I have to agree...every company that uses slavery to produce a product should be shut down...The money from the sale of such or the company assets should be sold or transferred to those kept as slaves...
THAT my friend might be the only way to stem such from happening...

If the company responsible is broken up..sold or transferred in such a fashion...and those responsible imprisoned...perhaps instead of making license plates they might make those chocolates or clothes you spoke about...as they served their sentence...

Who knows...it just might deter the practice...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Oh can the attitude, Gulf Boy. Many people don't realize just how slavery-heavy some foreign food production is. Give the OP some fricking credit for putting this up for people to learn about, would ya?

Most of my sister-in-law's family is FL shrimpers, guess who we used to get most of ours from? We don't live in FL anymore though, so I eyeball the origin label of our store-bought shrimp up here in MI and do not buy foreign shellfish. One, you're not helping the local/domestic fishermen out any by buying the same exact food from halfway around the globe. Two, for those of us WITH friend or family ties to the fishing industry, seafood processor slavery is old news and not supported with our money. The best way to hurt the slavers? is to keep your food purchases, and thus money, domestic.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

That's shocking! i'd better post this on facebook on my iPhone that was made in a Chinese tech shop as I iron my t-shirt that was made in a Bangladeshi sweat shop for my job interview that I have to conduct over the phone with an Indian!

Many of us are wearing shirts that are worth a months wages to the people who make them. But hey, just do it.

edit on 15-12-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Ummm...you go right ahead...keep that ole slavery trade running at top notch...Actually it's not shocking...and that's the issue...As long as you get to wear and use all those cool things...meh...Who cares if they were assembled or sewn or peeled by some third world child slave...

Frankly I can't even believe I chose to comment...or post this thread...as social experiments go...this was a no brain-er...
The...MEH...exemplified in half of those responding to this thread...points to why none of these issues ever get solved...
It's the same...MEH...that walks over the homeless on the way to the next big sale...or casually tramples to death that fellow shopper or security guard...
It's the same...MEH...that built this wonderful consumer based society...It just leaves me wondering if we consume only the products...

Or...is the real product of our consumption...our humanity...

I guess I'll let you decide...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
From what I can tell the Gig peeling factory exports it's freshly peeled shrimp to global markets, meaning even if consumers were convinced to boycott the product to get the company to start paying it's workers, how would you know which shrimp company to boycott that uses this companies peeled shrimp?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Actually it's not shocking...and that's the issue...

This is a big problem as everybody is now completely desensitized to injustice and suffering. I think we're long past due for a big reset and I think it is coming at "vitesse grand V" toward us, namely another world war.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

Ummm...as you can see from the epilogue in the source

Epilogue: The Gig Peeling Factory is now closed, with workers moved to another shed linked to the same owners, said Chaiyuth Thomya, the superintendent of Samut Sakhon's main police station. A Gig owner reached by phone by the AP declined to comment. Jaruwat, the Bangkok police official, was alerted to how the case was being handled and has ordered local authorities to re-investigate it for human trafficking, and arrests have since been made. Tin Nyo Win and his pregnant wife were released from jail 10 days after they were locked up and are now being housed in a government shelter for victims of human trafficking. Chaiyuth called a meeting to explain human trafficking laws to nearly 60 shed owners, some of whom were confused about raids that swept up illegal migrants. Later, Chaiyuth quoted one shed owner as saying, "I'm not selling drugs, why did they take possession of my things?" Meanwhile, the AP informed labor rights investigators who work closely with police about another shed where workers said they were being held against their will. It is being examined.

As you can see once the Gig factory closed it was merely opened up under another name in another location...
I did suggest a possible way forward here...

Ummm...hello Korath...I have to agree...every company that uses slavery to produce a product should be shut down...The money from the sale of such or the company assets should be sold or transferred to those kept as slaves... THAT my friend might be the only way to stem such from happening... If the company responsible is broken up..sold or transferred in such a fashion...and those responsible imprisoned...perhaps instead of making license plates they might make those chocolates or clothes you spoke about...as they served their sentence... Who knows...it just might deter the practice...

What do you think about possible solutions such as what I've described here...?

YouSir
edit on 15-12-2015 by YouSir because: I needed to add something...

edit on 15-12-2015 by YouSir because: I needed to add something...

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

Buy from local fish markets?

Personally I would never eat frozen seafood, or non local, but hey I know people eat at the Red Lobster and say they like it.

ps: cut back on seafood since BP oil spill in gulf coast, and then fukashima is the cherry on top, not to mention overfishing, high levels of mercury and all that wonderful plastic.
edit on 15-12-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

The people that exploit the workers are no different than the people that own the big chain stores and want to maximize their profits with cheap overseas goods. I've no doubt they know about the poor working conditions and just turn a blind eye to it all and fly away in their helicopter. I'd like to see how long the Waltons would last in a garment factory.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

Ummm...hello Peter...I wonder why global reset is predicated on war...Business persons respond most favorably to economic sanction and have too long enjoyed policies of "too big to fail"...

Sanction them...break them up...sell them off...jail them...
Government turns a blind eye and corruption assures that eye remains blind...
Again...sanction them...break them up...sell them off...jail them...

What is it in us that causes us to cower in our comfort...to look away...IMO...it's easier...that's all
Far easier to NOT get involved and change behavior...far easier to simply look away and pretend that we're untouched by any of that...
I would caution however...that it does touch us...it does affect us...Just look at all those who end their own lives and state that they can't live in such a crazy messed up world...

Imagine if instead they had stood arm and arm with everyone else and said...ENOUGH...
Will it ever happen..I can't really say...should it happen...of course it should...

War should be the absolutely last resort and I'm afraid it wouldn't solve anything...just create more fertile ground in which subjugation might further flourish...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: korath

Ummm...exactly...they're the tree and the suppliers the root's...Cut the tree down and pull up all the roots...Make these companies and corporations pay the way forward...Make them own their responsibility...rather than skate by on some economic pass...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I completely missed that part of the article...whoops my mistake. Are the "workers" getting paid this time or are they still enslaved?

With regards to your solution, I'm not so sure that would really deter the practice...It would stop human traffickers from selling slaves to new companies looking to buy but to those senior companies it just gives them a greater incentive to keep their illegal activities even more secretive.

What you need is consumers to vote with their wallets, as the only incentive that gets unethical companies like these to improve their human resources is if it effects their revenue stream.

I like this though;

.perhaps instead of making license plates they might make those chocolates or clothes you spoke about...as they served their sentence

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
When I purchased shrimp for my restaurants I specified non-frozen Gulf or Maine shrimp which have a much sweeter taste. Besides the issues outlined in the Original Post Tiger Shrimp from Indo-China are lacking in flavor and texture and are often coated with nitrates as a preservative.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

ps: cut back on seafood since BP oil spill in gulf coast, and then fukashima is the cherry on top, not to mention overfishing, high levels of mercury and all that wonderful plastic.

Not only that, the aftermath of those events caused massive marine life deaths along the pacific coast and anyone who still chooses to eat seafood at this point is asking for Neptune to strike you down with some toxic,irradiated fish.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ummm...good for you...that's certainly a step in the right direction...now...imagine if you did that for your i-phone or Nike's...or the ten thousand and one other products that claim our attention span long enough for the next one to captivate said...

We could all sing in unison..."What a wonderful world this could be"...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I wonder why global reset is predicated on war...

Not that I am in favor of war as a solution, but being pragmatic it seem the only way.

The problem seem to be coming from the fact that the human "animal" learn from experience and have a short memory spanning only two or three generation. Peoples raised in wartime will be aware of the effects caused by the violence cycle, and eventually will become tired of it. Also, all the ones that like combat and violence will have a much higher chance to be eliminated during combats. There is also the education side, generation that have seen the horror of war will teach some of their values to their children, like war is no fun...

Actually, what we see is like the premise of WW1, when everybody were considering war as being romantic and patriotic. And guess what, WW1 thinned the herd a lot. Also WW2 can be considered a conclusion of WW1.

There was a Chinese general that once said that peacetime is only the preparation time between wars.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir
Ummm...good for you...that's certainly a step in the right direction...now...imagine if you did that for your i-phone or Nike's...or the ten thousand and one other products that claim our attention span long enough for the next one to captivate said..

Well, I have a Droid so I am not sure if it is produced in similar conditions as Apple products. I own no Chinese made clothing and very, very little Chinese-made products. I make a highly conscious effort to purchase only American- or European-made products. I do not mind paying more for the quality or peace of mind.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

You obviously missed the point.

OP exposed another instance of child slavery, and you, act like if a few of us started peeling our own shrimp then the problem will go away...seriously?

I'm glad OP posted this as it's an injustice I was unaware of. Slave labor is not something that I'm unaware of but was not aware of this particular slave trade in this location.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere ~ MLK

This whole "if it don't affect me I can give two #s" attitude which people live by is what's wrong with this world and you seem to be an unfortunate contributor.

I guess it don't matter unless it's your kids peeling the shrimp...

edit on 15-12-2015 by real_one because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join