It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the tangible benefits of multiculturalism?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Being a foodie, I believe that the food alone is worth the multiculturalism. I'm talking authentic cuisine. For instance, I'd rather go to a locally owned Italian restaurant that is owned and operated by real Italian immigrants than to go eat the slop they pass off as Italian food at places like Olive Garden.

Certainly, there are a plethora of other reasons; likely as varied as the people who live in the multicultural communities.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
There is no tangible benefit in regards to multiculturalism or "diversity".

It is purely emotional, nothing more. There are plenty of negatives about multiculturalism, but nothing beneficial by any means.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
If you're a business owner and have plans to expand into other territories, having employees that are native speakers of other languages who can also effectively communicate in yours are invaluable. They can deal confidently with people from their own communities and offer advice on cultural nuances that can help your business immeasurably.

I needed my home renovated last year and advertised the job online. All of the British teams that gave me a quote were a rip off except one who I gave the job to. They turned up for 30 mins on the first day and 2 hours on the second day before leaving and were promptly fired. I then hired a group of Romanians to do it at a fraction of the original quote who worked their arses off, were up front about costs for materials and finished the job much quicker than I expected The quality of their work was excellent and they were great people.

Better options for good quality, authentic food as others have stated.

Filling gaps in jobs where there are huge shortages like nursing. The NHS would collapse overnight if all the foreign staff had to leave.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
multiculturalism is an excuse not to travel and explore. Those who like multiculturalism for the mix requires it as the spice that has always been missing from their tasteless lives.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Food seems to be the bridge. If culture and religion are the same,no,we can never live in harmony. People will kill to force their truth on another. Too bad it is that way cause I like a colorful garden.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DeepThoughtCriminal

I've lived overseas and in some very cosmopolitan cities. It can be fun and sometimes scary. You can learn a lot, but at the same time, you're aware of the fact that you don't necessarily know the "markers" of those who might want to do you harm and in that respect, its challenging.

My biggest shock about multi-culturalism was in the work place where I worked for a multi-national company. We began to absorb more and more employees from all over the world and the result was.......disastrous. The fault didn't lie with the people who came in from all over. Rather the problem was one of communications and mix-ups and misunderstandings. It became pretty chaotic and meetings were dreaded because we all knew that half the room lacked any real refrence point for the converstions to ensue. Maybe those problems were the fault of the Supervisors who didn't understand how to handle the situation.

edit on 15-12-2015 by TonyS because: spelling

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeDemBoyz
Being a foodie, I believe that the food alone is worth the multiculturalism. I'm talking authentic cuisine. For instance, I'd rather go to a locally owned Italian restaurant that is owned and operated by real Italian immigrants than to go eat the slop they pass off as Italian food at places like Olive Garden.

Certainly, there are a plethora of other reasons; likely as varied as the people who live in the multicultural communities.

When I've heard people argue the virtues of Multi-Culturalism....food always comes up...and it's bizarre.

It has to be one of the lowest rungs on the 'benefit' ladder, yet it's always the first to come up.

And if the 'PROS" are that thin, and FOOD is what most people reach for, then something is VERY wrong. TO me it means Multi Culturalism is a WEAK argument...so weak that it's come down to issues like food and music. Meaning, it's a sham.
edit on 15-12-2015 by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

How about this for a reason: It's a free world, which we are all born into; and, as such, we have a human right to live where we please. Does multiculturalism even need a purpose in order to exist? No.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

How about this for a reason: It's a free world, which we are all born into; and, as such, we have a human right to live where we please. Does multiculturalism even need a purpose in order to exist? No.

None of that makes any logical sense. It sounds like you're basically telling me that Unicorns and Rainbows are great and everyone should own a Panda..

It doesn't mean anything in reality.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Sounds to me like you desperately need to relocate to a remote, rural area where everyone looks, dresses and acts alike; once you get there, do the rest of us a favor and never leave.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The benefits of multiculturalism:

1) Ethnic neighborhoods who owe political allegiance generally to a single party and thus more votes for them.
2) Increased criminal behaviors through ethnic friction and fewer jobs to be had leaving theft and drug dealing as their sources of income. This leads to politicians asking for more police and stricter laws and surveillance.
3) Demographically over time the immigrants tend to bear more children and thus divide the country further, leading to the old established populace feeling threatened. They may even perceive them as the enemy instead of the thieving politicians and bankers.

Divide et imperatum
Multiculturalism is great for those who seek to garner more power.

Done slowly and without political interference assimilation of new people is a great thing for a country.
It's what made the United States a great country while it lasted.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Sounds to me like you desperately need to relocate to a remote, rural area where everyone looks, dresses and acts alike; once you get there, do the rest of us a favor and never leave.

And what does THAT have to do with Multi-Culturalism?

Looks? Dress? Acts?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
“Pit race against race, religion against religion, prejudice against prejudice. Divide and conquer! We must not let that happen here.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt

“The deal with multiculturalism is that the only culture you're allowed to disapprove of is your own.” ― Martin Amis

Multiculturalism is a sham and a lie. - Angela Merkel
Multiculturalism in Germany has utterly failed.

www.washingtonpost.com... /worldviews/wp/2015/12/14/angela-merkel-multiculturalism-is-a-sham/

edit on 12/15/2015 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I hear people talk about "multiculturalism" so much that it's all but a blur to me.

I'll just zero in on one area, for the moment.... public schools.

I keep hearing from some people that they want kids to have a multicultural experience. However, I think some people mistake multiculturalism for NOculturalism. That is, in my view, a multicultural school would be open to various belief systems, religions, etc. I'm not saying that any should be endorsed. I would say that instead of allowing people to celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa freely... the trend seems to be to squash the whole thing for fear of "offending" anyone or fear of anyone "feeling left out." Many who claim to be champions of multiculturalism want no culture at all. They seem to want just a set of drones.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The way I see it: If the majority of the world can survive invasion. colonialism, rape, genocide, enforced religion and empire over the course of hundreds of years while retaining their individual culture and identity.. but yours is threatened with imminent extinction by a brown man moving next door to you; your culture was crap and not very strong to begin with.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Is not benefits, this just an oxymoron to push global agendas, so far is not working and is creating segregation as many people just do not want or refuse to integrate into existing societies, more often than not denying to obey existing laws base on religious freedom.

Also the increase of "free zones" where one group of people are not allowed into another group of people's territories without repercussions.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
More cultures on which to blame ur proxy wars

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker
Go and ask the Tibetans what they think of forced assimilation or will people make excuses for the Chinese forcibly taking over Tibet and flooding the country with native Chinese.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015
Well let me see. I've already posted an example for you. What about the Tibetans culture and identity kicked out of them by the Chinese. But way before them, what about the Ainu? Do you think the Japanese were the original inhabitants of Japan? No. no the Ainu were there hundreds of years before them. Where is their culture and identity now. Then there's the American Native Indians, Where is their culture and identity, Oh that was kicked out of them by the Americans.
Now I'll give you the biggest crime. Have you ever heard of Diego Garcia? An island in the Indian Ocean with a rich and vibrant culture and identity. They weren't assimilated the British government moved them wholesale off their islands. What for? So the islands could be a strategic airbase for America. No islanders just American forces.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
The way I see it: If the majority of the world can survive invasion. colonialism, rape, genocide, enforced religion and empire over the course of hundreds of years while retaining their individual culture and identity.. but yours is threatened with imminent extinction by a brown man moving next door to you; your culture was crap and not very strong to begin with.

Hmmm, so merely being able to 'survive' the ills you mention in your post somehow translates into a justification for putting up with them?

How dare I desire to avoid them...arrogant of me....cough, cough.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join