It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the tangible benefits of multiculturalism?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: DeepThoughtCriminal

Integration is stifling and kills a culture. Multiculturalism without check can lead to the same thing.

There are simply some aspects of some cultures that are incompatible with our modern consensus of ethics and human morality. There are cultures with atrocious human rights records and complete intolerance for others, built right into them. To think those can be integrated or even included into an enlightened culture is naive.

There are certain standards a culture must meet before joining the rest of the world. The problem is that, by examining their flaws, we expose our own. For example, to outright deny Shariah law (which we should), we are forced to look at our own ingrained theocratic tendencies. This makes many people uncomfortable. We will never solve this until we become a secular society with no room or patience for religion or harmful cultural practices.

Integration is stifling and kills a culture?

First off, I think the term is assimilation. More accurate, I believe.

Second, please give me an example of a culture that was killed by integration. N.A. cutlures, from what I can see, have benefited from assimilation, not suffered from it. it has given a form of divercity where the perceived positives as adopted by the home culture. Burritos are a good eg....LOL.

As far as Australia goes, They're pretty new at having a diverse population. Assimilation is almost inevitable after a few generations. We all are from different cultures via our ancestors and almost all are completely and fully for the local culture.

Multi-culturalism on the other hand introduces stress and conflict between those mini-cultures. Never more apparent than Islamic leanings to Sharia law as opposed to Judeo-Christian principals. Multi-culturalism has evolved to at least a segment of immigrants attempting to counter assimilate our culture.

Perhaps no one culture is superior to another. Perhaps.

I definitely prefer mine...and will defend it. Assimilation avoids the current issue completely. As Putin says. Live in Russia, become Russian....or go home.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Oil & water don't mix, dip#...

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
On the flip side immigration (not just multiculturalism) does indeed breed poverty, lower wages, worse working conditions etc etc

But it can benefit the economy - unless your nation has a sappy benefits system. Then you have to ask why it is all happening... ...

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
On the flip side immigration (not just multiculturalism) does indeed breed poverty, lower wages, worse working conditions etc etc

But it can benefit the economy - unless your nation has a sappy benefits system. Then you have to ask why it is all happening... ...

All of this makes me wonder about the old "They are trying to tell you what to think" line that pro immigration types trot out.

With a few exceptions, MSM is broadly pro immigration, as are pretty much all the political parties (In the UK at least) and when you break it down, a booming economy benefits big business and very rich investors, often to the detriment of the workers.

So perhaps this is merely another battle in the old class war and one which the traditional supporters of the working classes are just too blind to see thanks to the spin of governments and media barons?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Only real benefit I can see happens when desegregation of the cultures just starts, it is at that point you get the Insane fashion, food, art...

As the mixing increases it blands out as it blends more...

Until what originally was a vibrant mix turns into merely acceptable to all.

Authentic Mexico Food is great, even better when you can get it with Texas Beef on the side, but Tex-Mex beef tacos suck. But Tex-mex Tacos plus California fried fish GOOD, until Taco Hell incorporated it into a common menu thing.

Segregated areas on the surface seem bad, but it preserves the culture and the things that make them so awesome, I would rather go to China town for Chinese food then your run of the mill multiculturally acceptable Asian food Restraint.

CoBaZ

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I'm sure I'll be jumped all over for evening daring to think this let alone say it, but why is multiculturalism/diversity only pushed in areas where a majority of the population is white?

You never hear of multiculturalism/diversity being pushed in areas where majorities are anything but whites.

Why is that?
edit on 15-12-2015 by PresidentCamacho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
multi-culturism creates a moving, non-stagnant society, able to meet the challenges f the future. A mono-cultural society walks on a single track, just wants to know what it knows, not able to meet new challenges, much less able to adapt to it. Same as mono-cultures in agriculture vs multi-cultures. The one are fitter, healthier and better adpated to future changes, the other is boring, stagnant and unable to cope with changes unless you poison every little threat to it.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hellhound604
multi-culturism creates a moving, non-stagnant society, able to meet the challenges f the future. A mono-cultural society walks on a single track, just wants to know what it knows, not able to meet new challenges, much less able to adapt to it. Same as mono-cultures in agriculture vs multi-cultures. The one are fitter, healthier and better adpated to future changes, the other is boring, stagnant and unable to cope with changes unless you poison every little threat to it.

If only the Cultural ego did not stand in the way ... it's the 'multi' bit where it starts to choke.

edit on 15-12-2015 by Timely because: started - thought - then stopped ...

edit on 15-12-2015 by Timely because: spacing oversight.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

If you want to meet people from other cultures why don't you go and visit them in their countries. Then you can really see what their cultures are like and meet a huge range of people. I don't think that we see the real culture once it has been transplanted. I am a product of two completely different cultures that cannot get along very well, causing much violence over the years. My mothers side of the family was originally Irish Catholic (until my great grandfather beat up the priest) and my Dad's side Irish Protestant so I am multicultural. This mix of cultures was difficult when I was growing up as one side of the family was strictly Methodist and the other staunchly atheist and hated all religions with a vengeance. Both sides of the family ate potatoes but one side celebrated Christmas but the other didn't. It was difficult being from a mixed culture as my siblings were tall redheads and I was a stocky blonde like my mum's people. I didn't fit in.
Just pointing out that cultures and religions don't always get along no matter how similar they may be and my lot have had enough of trouble. cheers people

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   

I suppose it's okay if that's what people want.

The problem with multiculturalism is that no one has been asked.

Btw, what would the intangible benefits be?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Maybe a larger gene pool to swim in ... ?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
I used to live in London which is very multi cultural. I lived as a minority in camberwell and loved it. Greek restaurants Indian restaurants Turkish sweet shop, American fast food and a vibrant street party culture. Now I live in a small village. All white and middle class, hardly the most exciting place to live. The local pub is called the black boy. Which is the most multi cultured thing about the place.

Where do you live?

Maybe we could swap?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
There are none. I wish there was a place on earth where just white Christians lived but sadly there isn't.

Funny how the vast majority of immigration is non-whites moving to mostly white countries, but they want nothing to do with our culture.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Interesting question. Japan certainly seems to have the whole multi-cultural thingy worked out as do some of the Middle Eastern countries. Japan restricts and the Mid-east kills or makes it so uncomfortable the non-conformist end up moving.. Not all Mid-east for I was thinking of Saudi as I was typing that.

When I was in the mid-East for a year I never heard a Christmas carol or saw a Christmas tree unless it was in some Expat's home. This was Saudi Arabia 1979 to 80.

I am presently in S.E. Asia.... in a predominately Buddhist country, and every Mall I have been into has Christmas carols playing and even the occasional Christmas trees and lights up... They tend to be very tolerant of others and their beliefs.. Unfortunately in the very deep south all that has gotten them are Mosque, bullets, and bombs killing about 1000 people a year.
newsletter.thaivisa.com...

Following residents' 7am alert to the suspicious motorbike abandoned overnight on Phupha Phakdi Road, police sealed the scene for the bomb squad's inspection of the vehicle. They found the 10kg pipe bomb in an under-seat compartment.

Same old stuff but the locals are spring loaded to pay attention to their surroundings... wise on their part. Also many of the cites have good coverage with video cameras which really does help catching the perps after an event.. What did they look like? Black hair light or dark completion but a camera can usually get a little more detail and the occasional license plate/registration for the get away vehicle.

newsletter.thaivisa.com...

TAK BAI: FOUR forensic police officers and an accompanying security team had a narrow escape yesterday morning when a motorcycle bomb exploded just after the two-truck convoy they were travelling in passed the site of the bomb in Narathiwat's Tak Bai district.

Police are blaming insurgents for the attack.

These are the recent events that all had a happy endings with no one killed or maimed.. Unfortunately that is not always the case.

It is natural for one to want to be comfortable around those they associate with. Since I am a foreigner in a foreign land I can't really think of a time when I have been concerned about my safety except when driving on some of the roads and highways.. But, I have not been to the deep south in 42 years simple because there are to many problems with the so called religion of peace.

I hear Europe and all the other western countries are finding certain areas off limits for the local nationals; Sweden comes to mind, as do other countries if speaking with my Expat friends who have voted with their feet and moved out of their native countries means anything.

Many races and peoples bring enrichment to a society they assimilate into.. However, those who want to start a state (with their own taxes and laws) within a state can be kicked out for all I care. But I ain't in charge...

Pacifying and making excuses for bad behavior just lets them breed and double the problems in a few years plus buy a few politicians and then you really get to watch some big changes....

www.thedailybeast.com...

The attention focused last week on the Ontario branch of al-Huda, the same religious school the San Bernardino killer Tashfeen Malik attended in Pakistan, is just one example of increasing Saudi-funded Islamic fundamentalism all over Canada.

Radical mosques with reported ties to terrorist organizations have flourished in and around Toronto as well as in Montreal, while some politicians, including Canada’s new prime minister, Justin Trudeau, have been reluctant to constrain or even criticize these groups, defending them in the name of diversity and multiculturalism.

For instance, the Mississauga, Ontario, branch of the al-Huda school closed for at least one day last week after CBC reported that four girls who studied there left Canada to join the so-called Islamic State.

“Farhat Hashmi runs al-Huda and denies that jihad is being taught there,” Dr. Farzana Hassan of the moderate Canadian Muslim Congress told The Daily Beast. “She’s not telling the truth. I’ve listened to her podcasts in the Urdu language. She praises jihad and says women should participate. There is a possibility of impressionable young women hearing that and being radicalized.”

But hey these are the few out of the 1.2? billion who claim the faith as theirs. Most of the Muslim friends I have ever had have been the more educated, with university degrees or business people who were just trying to make a buck and raise their families. Any dealings I have had with true sand people were always cordial and on my part respectful. Works pretty good.. Now if I would have raped a local sand girl or broken some made up taboo I would expect harsh treatment and not someone making excuses for my behavior..
youtu.be...

This video says 4300 killed but the latest figure is around 9000

So is there a moral to the story.. got me... There are problems with some cultures existing with others because they don't want to become part of the host culture but create their own imagined culture and values usually to the detriment of themselves and the host country.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL races or religions by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

*Funny how that works. I am a minority just about every place I go... but I try to obey the laws of the land and I certainly try not to offend someone's culture with my ideas of what is right or wrong. So far it has worked for me
edit on 15-12-2015 by 727Sky because: fixed video

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

The simple answer is that if we humans cannot learn to get along or at least suffer one another without hate and conflict then we aren't ready for contact with other beings as is expected among higher life forms.

By common reasoning, there are three alternatives, all guided by our own responses and actions:
1. We are quarantined (to prevent harm to other life forms).
2. We are eliminated (a permanent solution for a lifeform never emotionally maturing).
3. We are changed (to be within acceptable limits).

To be quarantined is the de factor situation at hand. To be eliminated will be by our own hand by anyone of half a dozen methods and not instigated by outside forces, simply allowed to happen. To be changed has been underway within modern human societies through the "medical exams" of UFO abductions that alter individual mindsets and permanent DNA changes.

Political correctness is a new human trait moving to the forefront because of those changes.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Your rambling about alien geneticists aside, you make it sound like political correctness represents societal evolution. It's not because PC speech is the opposite of free speech and as such is a devolution of society. An evolved society does not stifle free speech, no matter how offensive.

A UK pastor was recently jailed for calling islam satanic. A society that regards a handful of words to be so hurtful to its psyche that it must physically punish the individual for speaking them is fundamentally weaker than a society that can uphold free speech.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Ill just say one thing. Ive lived in London for most of my life. Im 40. I LOVE the fact that i can hear several languages being spoken on the bus and train in the morning. I LOVE that we have so many turkish shops selling yummy food with their exceptionally friendly staff in my area. I LOVE that i have muslim girls in headscarfs at the till at the big supermarkets (and yes, they handle alcohol quite happily), I LOVE that i live in a hugely multicultural city and i wouldnt change it for the world. All you bigots and haters can live in you whites only towns if you want...sounds like my idea of hell to be honest.

Oh, and the diferent nationalities that live in Holloway in North london all see to integrate just fine and seem to mingle on a daily basis....so there goes the Ops often repeated line of "they seek their own and dont integrate"

Yes they seek their own, would you not? Does that mean they also dont try to integrate? No. Some might not, sure, but the majority do. You just dont want to see it because it goes against your (in my opinion) bigoted views.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

We are advised to NOT judge ALL races or religions by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

Oh cry me a river. No one is judging gun owners...we are just saying that you dont need them and they shouldnt be so freely available.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
There is zero net positive to Multi-Culturalism..

Mono-Culture.....or a slow death

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

There are no tangible benefits. It fractures society by creating a series of groups only willing to support their own interests. This allows goverments to act as mediators and do whatever they want, which almost always involves screwing everyone.

Cheers - Dave

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join