It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dual-cam, a good idea for gun control?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I'm not sure if the idea as ever been discussed on ATS but with the on-going debates on gun laws everywhere I think I've thought of a good, rough idea:
What if guns had a dual camera that take shots of both the shooter and it's target while firing?

I'm pretty sure that with the size of camera's today, flash disk technology and lithium batteries combined it would be possible to install a dual camera device on all regulated weapons.

I can think of many drawbacks of such a system like:
- The hassle, It would be annoying for good gun owners that would have to waste time and effort
- The cost of the devices, I doubt they would be made some place other than in Asia so no new jobs
- The invasion of privacy, Those pictures would need to be kept in a database and could eventually be watched by authorities
- The weight and bulk, Not a big point but I wanted to include it as I'm sure some would mind

But on the other hand:
- Noticeable add-on, It would indirectly fix some of the illegal gun problems
- Easier criminal cases, I'd say it's good evidence in court
- Animal protection outside of hunting seasons, pictures would be dated
- Less usable unregistered guns, The device could eject a sabotage liquid when limited number of bullets have been used after the expiration date of the last registering, stolen guns would only be usable for a limited time
- We would see the state of the shooter, Wasted and drunk shooting isn't being responsible with such tools

The three biggest problems are
- Finding a hack proof mechanism for this implementation, this would be almost impossible to achieve
- Keeping the prices affordable and logical, 20-25$ max per year per weapon
- Illegal guns are still there, which is why I believe that we need good law abiding citizens to be armed even though I'd wish for a world entirely without guns

I feel that the advantages outweigh the drawbacks. I also think it's a good way to calm down people that are against the right to bare arms while being a "reasonable" sacrifice from gun owners.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
If my gun ever came with a camera, I would just take another gun and shoot it off. Lol obviously it is more practical to just saw it off or take apart the screws mounting it on.

I say its a valid idea worth looking into, but I feel that I can say with confidence the overwhelming opinion from actual gun owners from 90 year old grandmas, to police officers and veterans will be a resounding "NO! WTF IS THIS #!!?"

Hey props for giving it a shot though.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Sorry my friend, but I don't believe your idea has any value what-so-ever. Even Cops, that have been forced to wear body cameras have methods to avoid capturing any damning behavior on their part. From my experience there is no way to " calm down the people " that oppose the Second Amendment. THEY simply do not want ANYONE to own a weapon other then the Police and Government. They will always preface their legal arguments with " reasonable " Laws. In lay terms that is defined as encroachment on a right into nonexistence. Cheers

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: theMediator

Would they have to ban tape? Or permanent marker? Or a spray of paint?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Beat me to it! Lol

But like someone above said, kudos for trying. If enough people throw out random ideas, eventually something might sound reasonable and stick. When it does, I have a feeling it'll be a "crap how could I not have thought of that!" Moment

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I don't think that would work. If it was required by law for every gun to be fitted with such a camera, that would be a huge cost as millions of guns would have to be retro-fitted. Who would pay the bill, the gun owners, the gun sellers, or the government? There is also the environmental factor of more mass manufacturing. And the battery power.

Also, a camera would do nothing to stop gun crime. Someone would need to obtain the footage, and there would be nothing to stop someone from simply destroying the camera, or simply just covering it with duct tape.

And even then, if the footage existed, how would the police get it? They would need a warrant surely.

I think, sadly, that gun violence will just continue in America. Too many people have too much access to guns. Gun freedom is a double edged blade indeed. I think your best bet is stricter licensing laws, and probably also getting rid of allowing people to have fully-automatic weapons - you don't need a fully auto to hunt, they are useless for civilian purposes.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Outside the box, anyway... Credit for that.

The problem is, many gun owners like myself would not do it. Not voluntarily, nor with coercion. Assuming a foolproof way to do it could be implemented at all.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator
I'm not sure if the idea as ever been discussed on ATS but with the on-going debates on gun laws everywhere I think I've thought of a good, rough idea:
What if guns had a dual camera that take shots of both the shooter and it's target while firing?s.

Don't think so unless it would tamper proof. Lets not forget TPTSNB will find a way around it and it will inevitability be only applicable to the masses.

I would be an anti gun advocate if I did not believe that the US is sliding into the black hole of tyranny like most other first world countries.

The antigun agenda is about nothing more than disarming the US citizens to make it easier to for TPTSNB to take the country over.

I read a few years ago that the Japanese did not want to advance on to the US mainland because they knew there were 60 million guns there.

Sadly it only this kind of intimidation that will stymie a take over of the US by TPTSNB.

I will go further and admit that the only hope we in other countries have of not suffering the same fate is that the American people can successfully resist the forthcoming slaughter.

I kinda hope that TPTSNB will take the people on in a head on confrontation as this will give the people a line in the sand and something to rally around but sadly, I know their tactic is to take them over little bit by little bit by little bit as they know that 'little bits' get tolerated and do not provide a line in the sand or a rallying point.

This is what is happening in the other countries too.

edit on 15-12-2015 by Azureblue because: z

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeepThoughtCriminal
Gun freedom is a double edged blade indeed. I think your best bet is stricter licensing laws, and probably also getting rid of allowing people to have fully-automatic weapons - you don't need a fully auto to hunt, they are useless for civilian purposes.

You seem to not realize that fully automatic weapons have been massively regulated for 80 years in the US. The people who legally possess them are, without fail, the least likely individuals in America to ever commit a crime with them. This is one of those areas where Hollywood has created a completely imaginary boogeyman. You can count on one hand the number of crimes in this country committed with legally stamped full autos since the laws were greatly increased in the 1930s. Most of the illegal full autos used in crimes have either come into America via the South American drug cartels (and have been used by them) or were unstamped Tec-9s/Mac 10s or 11s with an open bolt that can be converted to an (illegal) full auto by anyone with a little bit of knowhow.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   

The only problem is any and every camera is foiled by spraypaint. Or stickers.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Good idea for cops and other law enforcement people perhaps with audio recording as well could help to show how the situation from the officers point of view and with a proper chain of evidence system in place. Don't see the point for anything other than a self defense weapon from the point of a normal person but its going to be a pain as the gun will need recharging and wear and tear on the SD cards etc will make it worthless if you had to go to court.

main thing will be for bragging rights at the range when you punch a mag through centre so well it looks like you did only one shot

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Sounds like tyranny in its infancy.

Gun control does not work. Look at Chicago and NYC.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DeepThoughtCriminal

getting rid of allowing people to have fully-automatic weapons - you don't need a fully auto to hunt, they are useless for civilian purposes.

I'm guessing you mean semi auto? Because most of us don't own full auto, no mass shooter ever used one and the average criminal doesn't use them either. It's not like you see in the movies, where every bad guy has an Uzi.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
As a sport shooter, I go through a few hundred rounds a week, how do you store that many pics?

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
We need violence control.
Our culture has issues.
You shouldn't shoot another person over a parking space, but people do that today.
We need something to change our culture.
Two people shouldn't even have a verbal argument over something as trivial as a parking space.

I think we should take the people that populate jails for nonviolent offenses out to free up space for the violent offenders.
edit on b000000312015-12-15T08:52:13-06:0008America/ChicagoTue, 15 Dec 2015 08:52:13 -0600800000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Would they have to ban tape? Or permanent marker? Or a spray of paint?

a reply to: Vector99

They would see a black picture which would mean the gun as been tampered, thus an applicable fine or removal of that gun.
edit on 15-12-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
As a sport shooter, I go through a few hundred rounds a week, how do you store that many pics?

SD cards can hole thousands of pictures.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: dazbog
Sorry my friend, but I don't believe your idea has any value what-so-ever.

No value, whatsoever? Wow thanks, i guess you forgot to read the post, especially the part where it mentions the advantages.

- Noticeable add-on, It would indirectly fix some of the illegal gun problems
- Easier criminal cases, I'd say it's good evidence in court
- Animal protection outside of hunting seasons, pictures would be dated
- Less usable unregistered guns, The device could eject a sabotage liquid when limited number of bullets have been used after the expiration date of the last registering, stolen guns would only be usable for a limited time
- We would see the state of the shooter, Wasted and drunk shooting isn't being responsible with such tools

originally posted by: dazbog
Even Cops, that have been forced to wear body cameras have methods to avoid capturing any damning behavior on their part.
I don't think camera's on clothes equals cameras that take pictures when shots are fired.

originally posted by: dazbogFrom my experience there is no way to " calm down the people " that oppose the Second Amendment.
Well at least, some are trying to find solutions instead of giving up .

I find your lack of faith disturbing! :p

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Could be fine for police to implement.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeepThoughtCriminal
And even then, if the footage existed, how would the police get it? They would need a warrant surely.

When re-registering the gun, they would exachange the memory card and keep your photos in a database. Then, with a warrant, the police would have access to those pictures.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join