It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge orders Christian pastor to study Islam

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: visitedbythem
All muslims migrating to the US should be required to take a course about Christianity. It will help them understand......

Why America isn't a Christian nation. Our laws are not based on the Christian faith you seem to have America confused with Vatican city.

Hmm I dunno, the Founding Fathers certainly perceived morality through a biblical prism. So I think their laws reflect that.

As Jefferson stated in the Treaty of Tripoli "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Why did no one bring up this little tidbit.

Because it's Pamela Geller. You could have a video of the old woman running the Muslim over with a car and Geller would think of a way to blame the Muslim.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: visitedbythem
All muslims migrating to the US should be required to take a course about Christianity. It will help them understand......

Why America isn't a Christian nation. Our laws are not based on the Christian faith you seem to have America confused with Vatican city.

Hmm I dunno, the Founding Fathers certainly perceived morality through a biblical prism. So I think their laws reflect that.

You don't know? Well if you don't know then you shouldn't be commenting on a topic you don't know about. I suggest going and research history to get an answer to this.

Though, that isn't totally necessary. The 1st Amendment makes it pretty clear that we aren't a Christian nation as well.
edit on 15-12-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

a reply to: StallionDuck

Why did no one bring up this little tidbit.

Because it's Pamela Geller. You could have a video of the old woman running the Muslim over with a car and Geller would think of a way to blame the Muslim.

So it makes the old lady instantly in the wrong.

Sound way of thinking...

The obvious question stands... Why not ask the neighbors?
oh wait.. the layer association makes her instantly guilty. Case closed!

Got it...

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: boncho
I agree with you for the most part, Boncho. Excellent post. But...there are Christians who believe the bible instructs them not to learn about other religions, because it leads to temptation. That's what makes this a religious freedom issue.
Deuteronomy 12

2 You shall utterly destroy all the places where the nations which you shall dispossess served their gods, on the high mountains and on the hills and under every green tree. 3 And you shall destroy their altars, break their sacred pillars, and burn their wooden images with fire; you shall cut down the carved images of their gods and destroy their names from that place. 4 You shall not worship the Lord your God with such things.

30 take heed to yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, ‘How did these nations serve their gods? I also will do likewise.’ 31 You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way; for every abomination to the Lord which He hates they have done to their gods; for they burn even their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods.

I know the chapter doesn't exactly say that, but some Christians take it that way. Don't learn about other religions, or their tenets. So it could be considered a religious freedom case by some Christians

edit on 12/15/2015 by Klassified because: corrections addition

edit on 12/15/2015 by Klassified because: clarity

edit on 12/15/2015 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
So some bigoted Christian pastor/landlord consistently insults and denigrates her Muslim tenants before pushing one of them down a flight of stairs - and now she's paying for that crime. I see no problem at all with this. She is not only getting what she deserves, but also she was given a choice as to whether she would serve her whole punishment in prison or take an introductory course on Islam in lieu of jailtime.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me, and it sounds like she really needs to be taught the truth about Islam, not just the nonsense parroted by bigots and some people in this thread.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Then when the court follows up on her she can tell them about all she learned about jihad.

I fail to see how this "punishment" is supposed to teach her anything except more violence.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I would've still sent her to jail.

You dont shove people down stairs, thats attempted murder.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I know the chapter doesn't exactly say that, but some Christians take it that way. Don't learn about other religions, or their tenets. So it could be considered a religious freedom case by some Christians

Interesting take and observation. I hadn't considered that, but looking at it a little closer it seems to be about a Pagan religion, and Islam is Abrahamic after all. Still, I suppose that's what they will determine in the higher courts.

I side on the fact it's nothing more than a course for understanding. However you present an argument that is worth exploring and Im sure that's why they are going to hear it in court any who.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

but the Islamic woman did not shout obscenities at her, nor did she push her down the stairs

edit on 15-12-2015 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans
I think he let her off too easily. SHe will take the course, she has to, but she will learn nothing of it bc of her thick skulled narrow mind.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: boncho
a reply to: Klassified

Interesting take and observation. I hadn't considered that, but looking at it a little closer it seems to be about a Pagan religion, and Islam is Abrahamic after all. Still, I suppose that's what they will determine in the higher courts.

I side on the fact it's nothing more than a course for understanding. However you present an argument that is worth exploring and Im sure that's why they are going to hear it in court any who.

As you probably have gathered. Some Christians see Islam as even worse than paganism. lol.
It will be interesting to see what the courts decide on this case.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
A striking court decision by a judge in Massachusetts.

A woman minister who was (apparently) convicted of a crime for pushing a tenant down some stairs where she is the landlord.

Now a judge orders the woman to take some kind of classes about Islam.

While the behaviour for which she has been convicted is reprehensible, I think that a Christian from Nigeria has a far, far better understanding of Islam than any teacher she's going to find in Massachusetts.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Is a violation of religious freedom regardless, the judge should have known better, still if she agree to this in order to have her sentence reduced then she has to comply.

Still it gets me the fact that 15 or more people living in an apartment that is against city code regulations, but then again, it could have been the man and his many wives plus children, as long as the man of the family only claims one wife as per law in the US the rest are considered family members.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob
I think that a Christian from Nigeria has a far, far better understanding of Islam than any teacher she's going to find in Massachusetts.

Not if her religion doesn't want her learning anything but Christianity she won't. She probably thinks it's of the devil or something.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join