It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Algae Causing Sea Lion Brain Damage in California, Study Shows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It's another unforeseen problem apparently due to Global Warming. Researchers at the University of California-Santa Cruz are saying that Sea Lions along the California Coast are showing signs of neurological and behavioral damage as a result of damage to the hippocampus. Damage that they say is due to fertilizers and ocean warming from Global Warming.

A toxin produced by marine algae is inflicting brain damage on sea lions along California's coast, causing neurological and behavioral changes that can impair their ability to navigate in the sea and survive in the wild, scientists said on Monday.

Brain scans on 30 California sea lions detected damage in the hippocampus, a brain structure associated with memory and spatial navigation, in animals naturally exposed to the toxin known as domoic acid, the researchers said.

Domoic acid mimics glutamate, a chemical that transmits nerve impulses in the brain, and leads to over-activation of hippocampus nerve cells and chronic epilepsy, according to Emory University cognitive psychologist Peter Cook, who worked on the study while at the University of California-Santa Cruz.

"The behavioral deficits accompanying brain damage with domoic acid are severe, and may negatively impact foraging and navigation in sea lions, driving strandings and mortality," Cook said.

Hundreds of sea lions annually are found stranded on California beaches with signs of domoic acid poisoning such as disorientation and seizures. Thousands are thought to be exposed to the toxin.

The microscopic algae, called Pseudo-nitzschia, responsible for the toxin occur naturally in coastal waters. Their blooms have become more frequent and severe in recent years. This year's bloom was the largest on record, reaching from Santa Barbara, California to Alaska.

Ocean pollution from chemicals like fertilizers and warming ocean temperatures associated with global climate change are believed to contribute to bloom size and frequency.

Slowly but surely, the pieces are falling into place but the changes are small enough and dispersed enough that we don't see the big picture yet. The problem is that by the time things come into focus and we are able to see the big picture, it will be too late. That's my two cents. What says ATS?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
OK, this is just a theory. The ocean produces at least 50% of the planets oxygen. The other coming from land plant life. That's not theory that's fact. Here's the theory.... are we putting SO much pressure on the land providers that the oceans are kicking it up to help the planet?

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Hundreds of sea lions annually are found stranded on California beaches with signs of domoic acid poisoning such as disorientation and seizures. Thousands are thought to be exposed to the toxin.

Signs of poisoning thought to be this toxin?

Theres another science experiment in the Pacific called Fukushima. I figure since the proof of what they say is 'sort of' , I'd add a study for exposing the brains of young mice to radiation. During development this can have long term effects on the Hippocampus…

link

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
So maybe they just conveniently forgot to mention the possibility of Fukushima.

Scientist: Algae species can absorb radioactivity

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I am SO glad to hear that Fukushima has nothing to do with this....Especially as they're doing their studies in the Pacific.

Whew....dodged a bullet there, gang!!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

From the link I brought…

…indicated that reduced neurogenesis was associated with a chronic inflammatory response. Three months after irradiation, changes in neurogenesis were associated with spatial memory retention deficits determined using the Morris water maze.

The mice couldn't find their way after irradiation and swelling in the Hippocampus. From the linked bit in the OP…

…brain damage on sea lions along California's coast, causing neurological and behavioral changes that can impair their ability to navigate in the sea and survive in the wild.

The seals lost their way.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

That does appear to be a feedback, but I think it's being unnaturally pushed through burning fossil fuels. More CO2 in the atmosphere from less plants or burning fossil fuels would lead to ocean acidification and increased algae blooms.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ringdingdong

We look at this from our perspective. What about this apartment building we live on? It's got it's own agenda too. And it's WAY older than us. I just try to see it from an ecosystem perspective.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Don't worry about the sea lions. We may have this chemical in lots of our foods. It is unclear how much is in it after it is refined but it was initially in the product. Fifth paragraph under the chart. unblindmymind.org...

I wouldn't doubt if it has this toxin, it tastes like crap when put in foods.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ringdingdong

More CO2 in the atmosphere from less plants or burning fossil fuels would lead to ocean acidification and increased algae blooms.

Another thing they don't say too much about.

They rarely speak of how deforestation and the removal of all things green, is the same thing as ripping the lungs from our planet.

Then they feign surprise when the CO2 levels rise. They can't be that stupid so there must be another reason they are re-terraforming our planet.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Well, about 70% of the oxygen comes from cyanobacteria and algae in the world's oceans, and 30% of the land is still forest. We've cleared a bit, but this has more than stabilized in some areas of the world like the US. We actually plant more than take out and have done so for a couple of decades or so.

I don't think it has much to do with stupidity, rather an intuitive grasp that with the increased rate of energy consumption, our collective knowledge and technological might accelerates.

We'll have a good chunk of us off this planet before it becomes inhabitable.

That's not stupid, that's progress.
edit on 14-12-2015 by ringdingdong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Great..... Now everything in California is brain dead.

join