It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phrases I HATE!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Enochstask

"Get Over Yourself"

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

"sweet"

wtf....it's not sweet... It's ordinary, boring, banal, garden variety, run of the mill, plain Jane, and stinks !

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

My eight year old has picked up "O.M.G." and "Cray-Cray" from the damned plebes at school....

Also, every other word is "like" or "uh"........

Phrases like OMG and Cray-Cray...sure, pop culture. But, I'm sorry...it speaks to the common. I'm working double time trying to teach her that such phrases...while fine to use around friends (I guess), strike a highly likely probability of others viewing you less then fairly due to speech and use of painfully banal phrases.

With the superfluous "like" and "uhh"'s.......I've started having her write exactly what she had just said, the complete sentence. And then showed her that they served no purpose. They actually cluttered up the communicative potential of her speech. I did this by going through each word in the sentence, breaking it down grammatically, and asking if the words truly served any additional purpose.

Lord I hate this stuff.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
"AmIrite"

No you aren't right. You are a ****in idiot, that has never read a goddamn book and get's your Information from Fox news.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

"awesome"
wtf...it's not awesome. It's ordinary, boring, banal, garden variety, run of the mill, plain Jane,

That was awesome!
Sorry, I couldn't resist poking the bear.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Elbow grease. I hate that one. As in: "You just have to use a little elbow grease." What the ever living hell is that?
Needless to say. Yeah? If it's needless to say, then why the hell do you say it?
Baby momma or baby daddy. That is just do utterly stupid and annoying. Hearing either of those makes me want to gut whoever said it with a spoon.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

"Gut it with a spoon" gets my gourd...that seems awfully hard to do by the way unless you use the pointy end and file it down really sharp!

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
One I use all the time....I just can't help it.

"Bless your Heart".....what I really mean is " STFU and leave me alone."

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

"It takes 2 to tango"...duh right? That would be awesome and sweet if you could tango by yourself, huh?

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

"Dope"

I know what "dope" is and that's not it.....

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I work around a lot of young people in the Biz....and their constant use of cliches...drives me up the wall. Know what I mean?
edit on 14-12-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Yeah, it would be hard to do but would be very painful to the recipient.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

"That's dope, bless your heart"

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Lot's of bleating about colloquialisms in this thread. Are we all crying about their use in every day informal speech, or in business/commerce/formal settings?

All languages are living works of progress and different styles are appropriate in different settings.
I'm surprised anyone can feel the emotion of hate over any slang/dialect if one can understand the other.
All sounds a bit intolerant to me, and if that is all one finds hate in themselves enough to post on a forum, then your life can't be that bad.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

" Take it with a grain of sand"

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Dull spoon would tickle!

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

" Take it with a grain of sand"
Is that advice you are offering to yourself?
If so then I would agree, but you did post in the rant forum saying "Phrases I HATE!" so I am doubting that you are heeding your own advice.
Personally I am untroubled with slang/regional dialect/informal speech so long as it is appropriate to the situation and I can understand the other person.
I certainly cannot think of any colloquialisms which I would feel the need to rant about.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
"Literally" is really annoying in the UK
"Fam" is so annoying coming from white people
"Chhheeeeeeeessssseeee". When someone says that annoying expression just ask them what they mean or the definition of it...and watch them stutter.
"So you use a word every other sentence and have no idea what it means, tool"

Oh and people that get offended by the term "mate"
People watch too many gangster movies. When they say I ain't your mate I reply " of course I'm not your fooking mate, never have been and never will be, I wouldn't associate with the likes of you " and watch that hard man pose deflate.

Oh oh and "I thought ats slogan was deny ignorance"
If any members have said that in the past I beggith thee slap yourself in the face for such child like responses.
edit on 14-12-2015 by rossacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I thought of another. Guesstimate. That one annoys me so bad.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

There isn't a phrase that annoys you. I genuinely can't believe you or you haven't been interacting enough with he youth of today/ take public transport. Get me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join