It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I drop out of college AGAIN? (serious question)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I'm at a point in my life that I don't know what's good for me anymore. I dropped out of college with a 2.65 gpa having 80 credits complete. I tried to join the air force for a year but it was taking too long((I literally wasted a year of my life doing nothing) so this year I went back to school and got a 3.0 in the spring semester. I was so happy. My overall gpa had bumped to a 2.71. I was finally doing well and learned how to study. In the fall, I guess my courses got more difficult and I'm pretty sure I got 2.0-2.5. I have around 45 credits left. Even if I make 4.0s for the rest of my school years, I'd still be below a 3.0 gpa average.

My major is petroleum engineering. I'm also 24 years old. Should I drop out with the low gpa and just join the military or continue on with my studies.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: 5letters

One thing you may want to think about, on your degree paperwork, I don't ever remember seeing the GPA listed. Only that it was a completed degree.

I don't think college is the answer for everyone, but you seem to have invested a good bit of time and money already. Finish it up, then join the USAF under the officer program. Do 4 years of that for resume building and life experience. Then see where you want to go. Just one guy's opinion. advice is free and you get what you pay for. No refunds.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Maybe just finding a job, any job, for a few years would be a good idea. Give you a chance to discover what you enjoy about 'work' and clear your head.

Going to school isn't about 'Grades', it's about learning and enjoying life. It's not a score on a video game that needs beating. Nor is life is the military but I do hear they are actively requiting 'gamers' for drone programs. I don't think military life, and you don't get to choose your job in the service, they choose for you.

I'd stay in school - you need to finish something.... Then join the military if you like, you will be in a better position to do so with a degree.

You don't say why you dropped out of school or why 'you tired to get in the AF for a year' or what you were doing in that year. Your icon is rather telling, perhaps you might want to consider it's appeal to you and significance.

Best of luck

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: 5letters
I'm at a point in my life that I don't know what's good for me anymore. I dropped out of college with a 2.65 gpa having 80 credits complete. I tried to join the air force for a year but it was taking too long((I literally wasted a year of my life doing nothing) so this year I went back to school and got a 3.0 in the spring semester. I was so happy. My overall gpa had bumped to a 2.71. I was finally doing well and learned how to study. In the fall, I guess my courses got more difficult and I'm pretty sure I got 2.0-2.5. I have around 45 credits left. Even if I make 4.0s for the rest of my school years, I'd still be below a 3.0 gpa average.

My major is petroleum engineering. I'm also 24 years old. Should I drop out with the low gpa and just join the military or continue on with my studies.

If you are close to being done, I'd just finish. College isn't for everyone, but if you've already gotten 3/4's done, you might as well finish. Having a college degree, particularly in a STEM field, even with a poor GPA is better than no college degree. The further you get away from your college graduation, the less your GPA matters.

It sounds like you need some direction. Now is the time to figure out what you are trying to get out of life before you have kids, wife, and other commitments. if you want to take a risk, now is the time to do it.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

As a former newspaper lovelorn columnist once replied to a person that thought that she was too old to start college: "How old will you be in four years if you don't earn that degree?" That degree won't hurt your chances of being successful even if you don't ever use it professionally.

Get it done and then you won't be able to spend the rest of your life regretting. It sounds like you are aimless, so finish up and by then you may find the fire inside to do something else.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Drop a mixtape.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I couldn't care much for your GPA. I'm looking at it this way. If you are looking for others opinions on the matter, maybe tours isn't strong enough and you need to pause. I'd talk to a counselor about what you can do to continue but I'm not sure that you are sure you want to continue.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

You should stay in college and do your best and get that diploma!
Even if you don't graduate with the numbers you want, you can
look back and tell yourself," I did finish".

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

You're halfway there.

Finish it up. You will always regret not finishing it when you're older.

Trust me.

You seem to be interested joining the airforce. I've never been in the armed forces. But I imagine being an officer can't hurt.

I'm sure others who have been in the air force and been officers could chime in.

I certainly can't hurt your career to get into the armed forces and get out with a security clearance.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Think of it like this.
A school graduates 100 doctors.
Only one finished first in the class.
One also finished last in the class.
They both got the same piece of paper.

Also having a degree in a science is a good thing no matter your gpa.

edit on 14-12-2015 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Think of it like this.
A school graduates 100 doctors.
Only one finished first in the class.
One also finished last in the class.
They both got the same piece of paper.

Also having a degree in a science is a good thing no matter your gpa.

Do you know what they call the guy who finished last in Medical school?

Doctor.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
45 credits left. In a quarter system that's 3/4 done. Petroleum engineering is a lucrative field. I say keep going. If your major was English I might give the opposite advice because that degree is a dime a dozen and won't do much for you by itself. But engineering in general is a great field to be in and petroleum engineering is particularly good.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

All that really matters: can you walk the stage? If so, then finish it.

Normally this is where i point out that one doesn't need a degree to be successful. But you are talking about a degree in engineering....that is a game changer.

Finish your schooling. Quit flitting around like a moth, focus, and complete something. It'll impact the rest of your life immensely.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Apollo Creed said it best. "Stay in school. Be a thinker, not a stinker." 24 years old and you have already earned 2/3s of the credits you need to graduate. That is a great accomplishment and you should be proud of yourself. Your gpa is not going to matter very much in the oilfields and P.E.s make ALOT of money. If you feel like you just can't stand to be in school any more, maybe you can get a job in your field and have the company complete your training. As it stands now, you are well on your way to a good career that will let you provide for your loved ones and retire at a young age.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I would absolutely say NO!. Finish your degree. Look, I work in the energy sector, not everyone is straight A people, hell, alot of them werent. The reality is Petroleum engineering is a TUFF, and I mean a TUFF career path. I can understand people who make c's. my best suggestion is to slow up on your course load, and talk to your advisor about maybe just doing 4 courses vs 5-6. The problem with your degree is that EVERY class builds on something else, so you need to know stuff. That said, once you graduate, you will be in top demand. The price of oil is going to be in the floor for another year or two. During that time, alot of the old petrol engineers are going to get out, either through downsizing, or retirement. Once oil recovers to 50, things will start to pick up, and between 75-100 there going to start needing a massive amount of your degree. Hell my company is doing well, we dont do oil, but all the rest of the engineers, and we still pick up petrol engineers just cause there good overall chemical/mechanical engineers. Seriously, stay in school dude. Take it from someone who started a family early and at 36 am still in school. Get that degree early and be done with it. Those that have a degree typcially make over 1 million dollars more then those that dont. further, My cousin is a pertroluem engineer, and he retired at 45 with several million in the bank. REMEMBER the stock options if you work for small outfits.

Camain

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Go join the military!

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Stay in school. Drop your course load to the minimum that still qualifies you as a full-time student. And really focus on those classes.

And don't be afraid to ask for help if you're struggling. College professors appreciate students who do this. And will try to get you whatever help you need.

We're not all equally good at every subject. Some take awhile to click. So don't beat yourself up if you're having trouble. Just apply ass to seat and eyes to book till it does click.

College should also be fun. So have some fun too. Not so much that it effects your study time. But enough so it keeps you there.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Finishing your degree isn't about your grades.

Degrees are only showing your future employer that you can hack the university demand of work. That's all it is.

It's show you can do it. So I would recommend staying. You're almost there, just keep doing it as best you can.

Trust me, you'll be happier knowing you have that degree and it shows employers ( even those outside your industry) that you are willing to commit to tough things.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Not only should you finish your undergrad work; if you can get in grad school, do it. A bachelors degree don't mean jack anymore but you are so close. If you have the money...work on a PhD.
edit on 14-12-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

My heart says yes, and my brain is trying to stop my heart.

I studied I.T in the early naughties and it didn't even get my foot in the door. I thought to myself what's the point? However more than a decade later my knowledge paid off somewhat-I helped elder folk with basic computer skills as a fraction of the cost that the 'professionals' charge.

Maybe you should finish your course because that knowledge may come in handy one day. A first aid certificate won't save a life the night you earn it but may come in handy down the road.
edit on 14-12-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join