It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Principal BANS Santa Claus

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: whenandwhere

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
a reply to: whenandwhere

Now , these children will not have to put up with all this relgious nonsense

So apparently you've taken a survey among the children to see what they want?

Apoarently you do not know satire .

Much ado about nothing . So unclench , its all going to be fine .

ETA ... These children have no say so . Also how rediculous it is to ban Thanksgiving . It is a non religious holiday .

They didn't ban thanksgiving. Heck I don't think anything was banned.

A memo last month from assistant principal Jose Chaparro suggested a “harvest festival instead of Thanksgiving or a winter celebration instead of a Christmas party.” He urged staff to “be sensitive of the diversity of our families. Not all children celebrate the same holidays.”

Since when were memos that suggest things official decrees and bans?

Like I said at the top of the page, this article is sensational BS.

Today a suggestive memo, tomorrow an executive order/Supreme Court ruling. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

ETA ... These children have no say so . Also how rediculous it is to ban Thanksgiving . It is a non religious holiday .

A memo last month from assistant principal Jose Chaparro suggested a “harvest festival instead of Thanksgiving or a winter celebration instead of a Christmas party.” He urged staff to “be sensitive of the diversity of our families. Not all children celebrate the same holidays.”

Today a suggestive memo, tomorrow an executive order/Supreme Court ruling. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

No, that is a slippery slope. You and I both know that there is no story here, so you invented a silly slippery slope so you can continue to complain about PC culture. You are being overly transparent here.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: Trueman
a reply to: IAMTAT

Ho, ho, ho !!! (I mean what a b...).

Easter bunny..., you are next.

Probably (St.) Valentine's Day is NEXT....so many reasons the PC crowd can use to Ban that.

I thought it's when the church of climatology bans coal from Christmas Stockings.

After all we gotta save the plane!

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

No, that is a slippery slope. You and I both know that there is no story here, so you invented a silly slippery slope so you can continue to complain about PC culture. You are being overly transparent here.

How is that a slippery slope? So many people are finding everything offensive these days. You ever hear of the fallacy fallacy?

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

How is that a slippery slope? So many people are finding everything offensive these days. You ever hear of the fallacy fallacy?

It's a fallacy because Fox News has been droning on about this stupid "War on Christmas" for YEARS now and never. Not once. Has there been a directive from the government forcing Santa out of Christmas celebrations across the country. That is called a slippery slope. We start with a benign memo (meant as a suggestion) sent within the PTA (most likely) then YOU start talking about the Federal government issuing national decrees. No. That doesn't happen. Slippery Slope. Own your deflections. Again, you are being super transparent here. I can read your intentions like a book right now.

This is why anti-pc people are so damn hypocritical. Y'all don't know what you are complaining about. You take simple issues that don't need national attention, blow them out of proportion, sensationalize them, then when someone calls you out on it, you deflect by talking about government intervention. Then, later, when you enter another conversation about pc we have to hear about you misremembering this situation and talking about a bunch of things that didn't happen. It's all a script you are following here designed to appeal to your anti-pc biases so you get outraged without honestly analyzing the facts.

There is no room in your head to admit that you might have been wrong here and been mislead by the article in the OP. Even when I prove that the article is lying, you up the anti to involve the government so you can continue to complain about pc culture.
edit on 14-12-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Everyone thinks they know best.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: freedomSlave
good religion has no place in school . keep that crap in your closets .. I would love to tell my kids it is ok to tell the other kids that their parents lie to them about Santa claus . but I am not that much of an ahole

It saddens me to think you have children.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Probably (St.) Valentine's Day is NEXT....so many reasons the PC crowd can use to Ban that.

I thought it's when the church of climatology bans coal from Christmas Stockings.

The Church of Climatology. LOL!!! That is funny and I am so stealing that.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

It's a fallacy because Fox News has been droning on about this stupid "War on Christmas" for YEARS now and never. Not once. Has there been a directive from the government forcing Santa out of Christmas celebrations across the country. That is called a slippery slope. We start with a benign memo (meant as a suggestion) sent within the PTA (most likely) then YOU start talking about the Federal government issuing national decrees. No. That doesn't happen. Slippery Slope. Own your deflections. Again, you are being super transparent here. I can read your intentions like a book right now.

This is why anti-pc people are so damn hypocritical. Y'all don't know what you are complaining about. You take simple issues that don't need national attention, blow them out of proportion, sensationalize them, then when someone calls you out on it, you deflect by talking about government intervention. Then, later, when you enter another conversation about pc we have to hear about you misremembering this situation and talking about a bunch of things that didn't happen. It's all a script you are following here designed to appeal to your anti-pc biases so you get outraged without honestly analyzing the facts.

There is no room in your head to admit that you might have been wrong here and been mislead by the article in the OP. Even when I prove that the article is lying, you up the anti to involve the government so you can continue to complain about pc culture.

Lol now whose being sensational.

And what proof? all you did was offer up alternative explanations for her actions. Did the principal/assistant principal write the memo or not?

You immediately want to dismiss it as a hit piece because of your own intolerance for people who think differently than you. Own up to it. Your intentions are just as clear in every post. I mention government because that's where these kinds of issues always seem to end up.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

The article.

And what proof? all you did was offer up alternative explanations for her actions. Did the principal/assistant principal write the memo or not?

I offered up the quote from the article that said it was the assistant principal that sent the memo and since the principal refused to comment for this stupid hit piece article that's all we have to go on for her side of the story. Here it is again.

You immediately want to dismiss it as a hit piece because of your own intolerance for people who think differently than you. Own up to it. Your intentions are just as clear in every post. I mention government because that's where these kinds of issues always seem to end up.

Seriously?! The article only presents one side of the argument, trumps up a bunch of irrelevant bits about her to character assassinate her, and buries the part about the issue being over a memo (that wasn't even SENT by her) in the middle of the article and you are trying to say this article is anything BUT a hit piece? Wow... The confirmation bias is STRONG in you.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Enochstask

originally posted by: neo96

The Church of Climatology. LOL!!! That is funny and I am so stealing that.

Feel free and please add a t at the end of it.

Planet.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I don't think it's a big deal either way, have Santa or don't.

Some Christian/Catholic schools and Churches ban Santa too because he's a patron saint for Pagans (Catholics too but not anything to do with Christmas) associated with the Solstice. To be honest Christians stole Santa with a lot of other Pagan symbolgy during the convert or die days. Santa is actually a religious figure just not a Christian one.

I love Santa, love this giving and family time but you don't really need any symbology at all if your heart and spirit are in it. Santa is literally everwhere else, the kids aren't deprived of anything.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

The article.

I offered up the quote from the article that said it was the assistant principal that sent the memo and since the principal refused to comment for this stupid hit piece article that's all we have to go on for her side of the story. Here it is again.

Seriously?! The article only presents one side of the argument, trumps up a bunch of irrelevant bits about her to character assassinate her, and buries the part about the issue being over a memo (that wasn't even SENT by her) in the middle of the article and you are trying to say this article is anything BUT a hit piece? Wow... The confirmation bias is STRONG in you.

Its strong in you as well Krazy, if you cant see that then.. I don't know. If those bits were irrelevant, why did you acknowledge them at all? Why did she decline to comment? They interviewed other people from the school after all.

Question: why did you gloss over this part in your nitpicking? (Rhetorical)

Santa was a part of the holidays at PS 169 for years. Joseph Iorio, a longtime assistant principal and the acting principal who preceded Kim, recalled state Assemblyman Felix Ortiz visiting the school dressed as Santa “many times.” Iorio also said he tapped student leaders to lead the Pledge of Allegiance every Monday morning. When Kim arrived, the school-wide pledge ended. ​A DOE spokesman said classrooms can recite the pledge “at the teacher’s discretion.” But PS 169 teachers said that Kim never told them they could do so.

Maybe she's not talking because its all true and just wants the attention to go away? Who knows, but I'm sure you will tell me even if I don't ask right?

How about instead of banning everything (I'm sorry, I mean suggest banning everything), they embrace it all. That's how they did it when I went to school, got to learn about all the traditions. I mean teaching is their job after all.
edit on 14-12-2015 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Majority rules guys, if the majority of kids celebrate Christmas screw all the rest of them, maybe they will convert and saved if we get outraged anyone doesn't think like we do.

#Trump 2016

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Nothing is banned, changing a name isn't banning. It is actually embracing like you said since now it isnt just Christmas but all the holidays.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

This was a memo. There is really nothing going on here. Though thanks for dismissing my text without actually reading it or any further posts in the thread. Heck this wasn't even the Principal's idea. According to that bit it was the assistant principal's idea.

Lets see Jose when they mess with cinco de mayo.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I highlighted them because I like pointing out the flaws in propaganda. It keeps me on my toes. Though this one was pretty easy.

They interviewed other people from the school after all.

Actually, the only other person interviewed in the article is the PTA President Mimi Ferrer (who is quoted several times in the article). This is why I said this is likely a case of a scorned PTA president contacting the press over a disagreement as opposed to just talking it out. There is also a quote from the acting principal before she took over about the pledge of allegiance.

Tell the truth, you haven't actually read the full article have you?

How about instead of banning everything (I'm sorry, I mean suggest banning everything), they embrace it all. That's how they did it when I went to school, got to learn about all the traditions. I mean teaching is their job after all.

So the assistant principal isn't allowed to use his 1st Amendment rights to suggest a change to how the holidays are performed? To be honest, it is YOU anti-pc people who are being WAY to sensitive about this whole issue. One guy sends a memo out and all of a sudden we have to alert the wahmbulance about the matter.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Were do you find these principals?

It's not hard. There are about 100,000 public schools and about 30,000 private schools (K-12) in the United States. That's why these schools stories — while a mainstay of propaganda and rhetoric — are quite a bit misleading.

Also misleading is this conflation:

"School principal bans Santa, Thanksgiving and Pledge of Allegiance"
"Santa Claus is banned. The Pledge of Allegiance is no longer recited."

ushistory.org - The Pledge of Allegiance

The Pledge of Allegiance was written in August 1892 by the socialist minister Francis Bellamy (1855-1931). It was originally published in The Youth's Companion on September 8, 1892. Bellamy had hoped that the pledge would be used by citizens in any country.

In its original form it read:

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
In 1923, the words, "the Flag of the United States of America" were added. At this time it read:

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

In 1954, in response to the Communist threat of the times, President Eisenhower encouraged Congress to add the words "under God," creating the 31-word pledge we say today. Bellamy's daughter objected to this alteration. Today it reads:

The pledge was created by a socialist minister for indoctrinating youth. As an adult, it actually seems a little creepy to me. Picturing young children ending it with what amounts to a Nazi salute, makes it cringe worthy:

The original Bellamy salute, first described in 1892 by Francis Bellamy, who authored the original Pledge, began with a military salute, and after reciting the words "to the flag," the arm was extended toward the flag.

Patriotism or Fascism?

As for ole Santa Claus. There's nothing particularly Christian about Santa Claus (though some aspects, notably the name, are derived from a 4th-century Greek Christian bishop) or "Christmas Trees" anymore than the Easter Bunny, "Easter Baskets" and "Easter Eggs" have anything to do with Christian religious celebration.

As an atheist, I don't have a problem with any of them. I actually quite enjoy the idea of a time of the year when people celebrate good will. I also know Muslims who put up "Christmas trees." (though, they also have an affinity for Christ as a prophet of particular importance and reverence for the Virgin Mary so I guess it could almost be quasi-religious)

Perhaps the strangest aspect of Christmas celebrations is this Japanese phenomenon:

Smithsonian - Why Japan is Obsessed with Kentucky Fried Chicken on Christmas

It’s Christmas Eve in Japan. Little boys and girls pull on their coats, the twinkle of anticipation in their eyes. Keeping the tradition alive, they will trek with their families to feast at … the popular American fast food chain KFC.

Christmas isn’t a national holiday in Japan—only one percent of the Japanese population is estimated to be Christian—yet a bucket of “Christmas Chicken” (the next best thing to turkey—a meat you can’t find anywhere in Japan) is the go-to meal on the big day. And it’s all thanks to the insanely successful “Kurisumasu ni wa kentakkii!” (Kentucky for Christmas!) marketing campaign in 1974.

edit on 2015-12-14 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Dude. Read the article carefully, this is a hit piece designed to outrage conservatives who don't read things very carefully. The principal isn't even the person responsible for the whole controversy. It was the assistant principal. That doesn't stop 95% of the article from ragging on the principal though.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

a reply to: theantediluvian

Dude. Read the thread carefully, this is a hit piece designed to outrage conservatives who don't read things very carefully. The principal isn't even the person responsible for the whole controversy. It was the assistant principal. Though that doesn't stop 95% of the article from ragging on the principal though.

TBH, I don't even bother reading the stories anymore because it's always more of the same bullsh!t. Come the Christmas season, you can expect a smattering of sensationalized stories used as propaganda. Conservatives have something to be "outraged" by and Fox and other outlets get some more clicks.

Thanks for pointing that out though, the claims in this article are even more specious than usual.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join