It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Passions of The Christ

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so feel free to move it okay. Now, here goes.

Yesterday, I finally got a chance to watch the movie "The Passions of The Christ" & I have a question regarding it, if anyone can help. To clarify my position, I'm not christened any religion & have only had basic ( primary school ) Bible lessons......eg, Noah's Ark, etc.

My question is this. What IS the big deal with the movie anyway? From my perspective it all seemed like the telling of the tale that we learned at school in Religious Instructions, but with more blood. Why did the Catholic Church get so up in arms about it, was their concerns real or was it just movie hype to get us to watch?

If I could ask that your explanations be explained as simply as possible, like I said above, I have only a basic understanding of this stuff. Thanx.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I think it was the Jewish who were upset - due to the sympathetic portrayal of the Romans.

The movie made it appear as though the Jews of the time were the driving force behind the execution, while the Romans were completely disinterested.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong??

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   
If I remember correctly:
(which I may not)
Some Jews got upset because of the portrayal of the Jewish politics and corruption. Others (Christians) got upset because of the portrayal of evil in the movie and the initial torment Jesus went through (remember the beginning when he was really scared?) And the fears of his disciples too-

Also many got upset because of the brutality of the flagging Christ took.

I was so thirsty by the time he was dragging the cross up the streets I had to suck cough drops. By the time he was on the cross I thought I would choke.

Powerful movie. I recommend it to anyone no matter what their religious beliefs.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   
thanx guys, so what we're basically saying here is that the different races involved in this have their own perspective on what happened ( if it did happen ) & are unhappy with the results of Mel Gibsons' interpretations?

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I have never cried in a move before, that is probably because I understand their attempts at manipulation as a filmmaker myself. However, Passion made me cry throughout the movie. I really felt for Jesus. And I got to admit it, I came out, with bit of resentment for the Jews and almost felt like if they really did this to Jesus, then they got their due from Hitler.

So I can understand how it can be percieved to be anti-semitic...because it provoked anti-semitic sentiments in me.

[edit on 6-1-2005 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
then they got their due from Hitler.then they got their due from Hitler.

That is pretty rough.................

[edit on 6-1-2005 by DrHoracid]

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
why do people get up in arms about whom ever did it... it HAD to be done regardless. Jesus would have had it no other way!

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
although I'm still not much enlightened on this, I still thank you guys for your input.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555
why do people get up in arms about whom ever did it... it HAD to be done regardless. Jesus would have had it no other way!

Yes, everything happened according to prophesy. I saw the movie and felt it was a faithful portrayal of what is said in the Gospels.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I was raised atheist so I didnt go in to the movie with the whole "he died for our sins" mentality. In my opinion they focused too much on the scourging of Christ on not enough on his works. From my perspective it was just about some poor bastard who got screwed over and put through the wringer in a way that was quite common in those barbaric days. Its not like they invented crusifixion and those nasty whips just so they could use them on christ.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman
I was raised atheist so I didnt go in to the movie with the whole "he died for our sins" mentality. In my opinion they focused too much on the scourging of Christ on not enough on his works. From my perspective it was just about some poor bastard who got screwed over and put through the wringer in a way that was quite common in those barbaric days. Its not like they invented crusifixion and those nasty whips just so they could use them on christ.

are you sure?

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Yeah I dont know when the first crusifixion was but I know that Spartacus and 6000 of his followers were crucified along the appian way seventy years before the birth of Christ.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Wow... there a lot of reapet threads this morning.....I know this topic has been discussed a whole lot here......sorry to be downer, it's a personal peeve of mine....

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Here's a little history of Crucifixion.
Crucifixion

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The movie caused alot of problems because the Jews did not want to be portrayed as having killed the person who many people believe to be God. Whether or not they believe that he was God, or if he deserved what happened does not matter so much. They are a people besieged and they don't want any more hatred from people.

I am sorry to see from the posts that the movie has caused some of what they feared would happen. The Jews as a race did not kill Jesus. Some people who had problems with the message and the idea that they may lose power wanted his death and succeeded. I would not take that out on an entire people.

I would like to say that that the Romans who were making the decisions (Pilate, etc.), did not want to execute Jesus. They even tried to get the people to let him go.

Even the apostles blamed the religious Jews of the time whenever they spoke of the death of Christ.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
i know crucifixation was around before christ, but the question i am asking is was it created soley for the use on Christ... think about it in terms of what had to happen in history, and what was fore seen.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
If Jesus had not done what He done, we all would be lost and subjected to the eternal damnations of Hell!

He was hiding from those who sought His life of course. What He did was not to denounce His mission and for this He was crucified!

The same hatred for Him then can be found the world over today.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
It was not the actual act of crufixition that provoked the emotions. It was the fact that Jesus was ridiculed, condemned, beaten up and crucified by a society of hypocrits, to whom Jesus did absolutely no harm, yet so blind was their hatred, that they wanted to see Jesus completely and absolutely humilated and tortured, and all because he healed people, spoke about ideals of love and peace and his loving relationship with god. He spoke the truth.

I felt a connection to Jesus and could almost see myself as Jesus. And it was not anger that I felt for the people, but a lot of saddness, and saddness because that people are so wrong, so stupid, so foolish so corrupt, yet it is they who decide what happens in my life. I relate to that feeling. I know that feeling of alienation. I know how honest people face hardships in life. And it is unfair, and what is sad about it, it's life.

[edit on 9-1-2005 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman

the movie wasnt about his works. the PASSION of the Christ is misinterpreted. Passion can also mean :
1 often capitalized a : the sufferings of Christ between the night of the Last Supper and his death b : an oratorio based on a gospel narrative of the Passion
2 obsolete : SUFFERING
3 : the state or capacity of being acted on by external agents or forces
4 a (1) : EMOTION (2) plural : the emotions as distinguished from reason b : intense, driving, or overmastering feeling or conviction c : an outbreak of anger
5 a : ardent affection : LOVE b : a strong liking or desire for or devotion to some activity, object, or concept c : sexual desire d : an object of desire or deep interest
the first is the definition used for the movie, not that he was passionate about what he taught, although he was.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Stoning, crucifixion, impalement, hanging, guillotine, electric chair, lethal injection... all progress isn't it?

Beware of all leaders advocating toture and capital punishment as means of dealing with disagreement and dissent.

Or the first vaguest hints thereof.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join