It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EAT CHEAP! 12" sub recipe for under $1.89 (PICTURE/MATH HEAVY)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaelci
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Our two major supermarkets like to have competitions with eachother, therefore the farmers get shoddy deals and everyday shoppers get $1 milk and 85cent bread.

That's crazy.

I can get stuff on sale but it's never that price by default!

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

originally posted by: Ghost147
a reply to: Ksihkehe

oops, good catch! hah, we use 1 leaf and 1 deli meat per 6" sandwich. So I suppose you could add another $0.57 for the 12"

The amount of lettuce and Sandwich meat is subjective of course You could have a vegi sandwich and make it $0.50-$1.00 cheaper. We don;t use an excessive amount simply because we don't feel we need it.

EDIT: I just realized that the listed ingredience amount is for two 12" subs. so it's actually a bit cheaper!

I see photographic evidence of at least two pieces of lettuce on the sub. I smell a conspiracy. You're shilling. How much is 'big flour' paying you to post your lies?

Didn't see the thread going here did you? All in good fun. I'd not have clicked the title, but I usually enjoy your posts.

This is a nice break from all the heavy on the boards lately.

Lmao, it's actually one leaf that I broke in half because it was too big for the sandwich. but... does that make it two leafs now

originally posted by: bally001
a reply to: Ghost147

I've tagged this and I'm gonna give it a go and do the math as you said. Presently a white loaf of bread will cost me 85c Aussie at the Supermarket. About 22 slices per loaf.

Used to do the bread oven thing but a little time consuming. I'll check this out and get back to you.

Bally

0.85?!? That's insanely inexpensive. A cheap loaf of bread here is just under $2.00. At least, for a simple white loaf of bread. French Baguettes go for $3.00+

I'd like to see your math too, to compare the two countries

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

I get six wholemeal pittas for $0.76. How cheap is that.

I can only eat flat breads as yeast does not agree with me.

I would not call white bread healthy. All that good fibre has gone out of it using the white flour. All that salt and sugar, too.

For a lot cheaper price try pitta with salad and hummus. Some nice hot chilli sauce brings it to life.

I don't have any salt or sugar in my house. There is more than enough in the products already. Salt and sugar are used big time to pack out the product cheaply, giving it more weight, and as a cheap taste enhancer.

www.hsph.harvard.edu...

"The war on obesity and other lifestyle ills has opened a new battlefront: the fight against sugar and salt.

It may be a fight for our lives.

In the last few years, evidence has mounted that too much of these appealing ingredients—often invisibly insinuated into beverages, processed foods, and restaurant fare—harms health.

Research at the Harvard School of Public Health and elsewhere, for example, has tied sugary drinks to an epidemic of obesity in the United States. The average 12-ounce can of soda contains 10 teaspoons of sugar, and the average teenage boy consumes nearly three cans of sugary drinks a day. Is it any wonder that about two-thirds of Americans are now overweight or obese?

Obesity, in turn, raises the risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, and certain cancers. Meanwhile, studies have linked salty diets to high blood pressure, which increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes, the first and third leading causes of death in the United States."

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

I get six wholemeal pittas for $0.76. How cheap is that.

Extremely. I would say that if I were to purchase any kind of pitta in the grocery store, 6 would cost me probably $4.00-$7.00. I know there is whole wheat flour, but I'm not sure if that changes anything with the recipe.

We essentially try to make all our food ourselves now. The price of food seems to have skyrocketed in the past 2 years or so in my city.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Here in Missouri we have stores called Aldi and Big Lots. Both are extremely cheap. I could get most of what is listed here for half or less than the prices you've listed. Aldi has very cheap produce, and Big Lots is especially good for very high quality baking ingredients - so I have picked up a lot of grains and flours there to do exactly what you're talking about here.

Veggie subs with mayo, oil and vinegar, salt and pepper, and Parmesan are the best homemade sandwiches.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Here is my Gram's recipe for white sandwich bread, she got it from a flour sack :

2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. sugar, divided
1/2 cup + 1/2 cup warm water, divided
2 1/4 tsp. yeast
1 cup warm milk
2 tbsp. butter or margarine (I use butter, Gram used margarine)
1 1/2 tsp. salt (I like kosher best)
6 cups bread flour, white (you can use all-purpose flour, but it wont be quite as soft)

Step 1 - Proof yeast and 1tsp sugar in 1/2 cup warm water for 5- 10 minutes until bubbly.

Step 2 - Mix milk, butter, 1/2 cup warm water, 2 tbsp. sugar, and salt until butter has melted and sugar dissolves. Add in yeast mixture and 2 cups flour. Beat with stand mixer & dough hook, or by hand until it's a soft, sticky, elastic dough.

Step 3 - Slowly add 2 1/2 cups more flour until dough is smooth and not so sticky, pulls away from sides of bowl.

Step 4 - Flour a smooth surface/countertop, and turn out dough. Knead dough about ten minutes, adding flour as needed, until a smooth, elastic ball forms. It will be super smooth and not sticky AT ALL. You may use all of the flour you have left over or not, just adjust as you go.

Step 5 - Oil a large bowl at least 3 times the size of the dough ball. Set dough ball inside and cover with a damp tea towel; and let rise in a warm place (my house is cold between September-June so I put it in my oven with the light bulb on) for about an hour until it's doubled in size.

Step 6 - Turn dough out onto floured surface and punch down. Split into two portions and cover with a damp tea towel, let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into two loaves, and place inside two greased loaf pans with the seam on the bottom. Let dough rise for about an hour until dough reaches top of loaf pan.

Step 7 - Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake loaves on the lower rack for 25-30 minutes. (I like to test it with a thermometer at 25 minutes - it should read 190 degrees F.) Otherwise, you'll know it's done when it's nice and brown, and it comes away from the pans. Take it out of the pans immediately, and set on a wire rack to cool.

Step 8 - If you want soft crust, brush with melted butter; for crisp crust don't bother.

Step 9 - Enjoy.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

Here is my recipe for no knead bread, which is my personal favourite. It goes great with any 'saucy' dish, or soup. It has a hard crackly crust and a chewy interior. Start about 20 hours before you'd like bake!

For the first step you need:

3 cups bread flour
1 5/8 cups warm water
1/2 tsp. yeast

Combine all of this in a large bowl until it's blended. It will be "shaggy" - not smooth in any way. Cover the bowl with a damp towel, and let this sit in a warm place for 18 hours. When you check it, there should be bubbles on the top, and it will be risen.

Lightly flour a smooth work surface, and gently turn out the dough. Sprinkle the top with a small amount of flour, and fold it over. Sprinkle again, and fold over. Cover with a smooth damp tea towel and let rest for 15 minutes.

Lay a smooth tea towel on your work surface, and coat it generously in either flour or cornmeal. Coat your hands lightly in flour and shape the dough into a ball or loaf shape. Don't spend too much time on this, it just needs to look vaguely like a shape. ( I like a ball shape better, but it's your call.) Put the dough ball seam side down on the towel. Dust the top of the ball with more flour or cornmeal, and cover with a smooth tea towel. Do not use terry cloth, it will make a mess.

Let the dough rise for 2 hours until doubled in size. Poke it with your finger tip. If the indentation springs back about halfway, it's perfectly proofed. If it springs back all the way, it may be over proofed, start checking on it at about 1 hour 30 minutes of rising.

Thirty minutes before the dough is done rising, set your oven to 450 degrees.

Here is where you can tinker with the recipe.

***For beginners - If you have a baking stone, put that in the oven now. When the dough it ready, carefully slide it onto the stone. Slash the top in an X, about 1/4" deep with your sharpest cutting tool. Bake for 45 - 60 minutes until the crust is a delicious brown colour and the loaf sounds hollow when you knock on it.

***For a challenge - ( Warning - you might burn yourself if you are not very careful with this method. You might want to ask for a partner to help you. ) If you have a 6 or 8 quart Dutch oven that is cast iron/Pyrex/coated enamel, something heavy, put this in oven as it pre-heats. Do not put the lid in. When the dough is ready, ( and this where two people can be helpful ) carefully tip the dough from the towel, into the Dutch oven, trying to get it seam side up. Do this gently, if you "plop" it in, it will fall, and your crumb wont be as airy. ***Please don't burn yourself. Wear oven gloves if necessary.*** If it's really unevenly distributed, shake it a little. Slash the top in an X 1/4" deep using a sharp instrument.
Put on the lid, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid and bake for 15-30 more minutes until crust is super duper brown and sounds hollow when you knock it.

This bread will have a super crispy crust. If you don't like a hard, crunchy crust, this is not the bread for you, but it's a very traditional loaf that is nice for beginners.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct
Thank you very much! I shall be home this Friday for a month and would gladly try both recipes, the OP's and yours, while I am there.
I have never baked in my life, but will certainly try.

edit on 14-12-2015 by Tiamat384 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

For a sweeter, but not too sweet, loaf of sandwich or toasting bread, you might like my mothers oatmeal brown bread recipe. This is a pretty old-school recipe that is perfect for making by hand. A few days old loaf also makes a really nice stuffing!

1 cup oatmeal (I use the regular style rolled oats)
2 tsp. salt (kosher tastes nice)
2 tbsp. shortening (Mom swears this can't be substituted, but I've used lard and it worked.)
6 1/2 cups bread flour (or all purpose, no big difference in this recipe)
3/4 cup molasses
1 cup boiling water
1 cup warm water with 2 1/4 tsp. yeast dissolved (Let proof for 10 minutes until bubbly)
1 cup cold water.

Combine oatmeal, salt, shortening, molasses, and boiling water in large bowl. Let shortening melt and salt dissolve, allow to cool slightly. Add yeast and warm water mixture add cold water. Stir in flour a cup at a time. A stand mixer is helpful here, but use a low speed to not over mix. When all flour is incorporated, let dough stand for 2 hours, cover with a damp tea towel.

When dough is well rested and almost doubled in size, punch down. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead about ten minutes until smooth and elastic.

Split dough in half and form into loaf shapes. Place loaves in two greased loaf pans and let rise for 2 more hours until the dough fills the pans.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake loaves for 40-45 minutes until nicely browned.

This bread tastes delicious with butter, or with strawberry jam.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Post some pictures if you can!

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct
Thank you again for the first recipe, and for the second as well! I will, Friday I will most likely not have time, nor all the ingredients, but over the weekend and next.
I'll make a thread for it.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
i dig this.

Don't make much bread myself, but im totally into the artisan nature of making your own bread.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   

well I must say that sub looks a hell of a lot more tasty than whatever that alien space sushi is your avatar is holding up.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join