It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright People on ATS !

page: 1

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I must say I am always pleasantly amazed at all the bright folks here on ATS. I spent many years in such a diverse life. My days were spent in heavy construction, steel and concrete; my nights were spent in the dark reaches of some physics book and theory.

My life henceforth hasn't been much different; at work I live in one of the highest technical environments imaginable, but come home to one of the lowest 'tech' world imaginable. During the day I work in aviation electronics engineering, but in the evening (and every morning) I work cows...just simple cattle.

My education, my profession, has become more than I could have ever expected. Looking back; my family always was very bright (two sisters with doctorates...not me though, just physics). I digress...

I am constantly amazed at some of the simple retorts people have here on some posts, not to mention some of the well thought out and resourced posts.

I really do enjoy this place they call ATS.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Poor guy, got sucked into physics books near the toilet. I keep medical books there myself.

Did you like your old job better than the new one or the new one better than the old?

I am not that bright though, not like my brother who's bald head reflects light better than mine.
edit on 13-12-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I find it serendipitous that you post this now. I was reading ATS throughout the last week and I was thinking. I like ATS, what it stands for what it has faith in accomplishing, but it lacks some positive support and feedback. Lets participate. Here you are doing the same. Thank you for that.
edit on 13-12-2015 by GamleGamle because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-12-2015 by GamleGamle because: Better wording

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
For some reason, your post reads/ feels like a poem to me.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I am constantly amazed at some of the simple retorts people have here on some posts, not to mention some of the well thought out and resourced posts.

I too, am ofttimes enthralled by the knowledge communicated within our various and sundry forums,
and I scoff at RationalWiki for referring to ATS as "the internet's beehive for all things crank-related."
Beehive, bah!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   

I agree! I'm a pretty smart guy and know a thing or two about a thing of two.

But reading some posts on here makes me think, damn that dude is bright! I'm also continuously impressed with people's vocabulary on here, I've actually learnt a lot of new words!

So yes, there are a plethora of members on here that I secretly admire. I wouldn't tell them though as it might come across a little rapey.

Snf

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

I too, am ofttimes enthralled by the knowledge communicated within our various and sundry forums,
and I scoff at RationalWiki for referring to ATS as "the internet's beehive for all things crank-related."
Beehive, bah!

Obviously they have only seen the automotive forum.

edit on 13/12/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Thank you for a positive, non-political post. It is refreshing!

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Ummm...I have to agree...up to a point...There are some very intelligent individuals here on ATS...I won't name any names...but it is very refreshing to read some of the people that post here...

Unfortunately...those threads and posts are continually drowned out and flushed into the backwaters of the site by all of the political speak...
The most popular/visited threads are always the us versus them threads from either side of the political spectrum...it's nauseating...It's always by the same individuals and frankly it's shameful always having the same groups bash each other all over the front page of the site...Again I wont name any names...not necessary...everyone knows who they are...and they know who they are as well...

I would much rather read a thread about physics...or philosophy...or better yet someone's creative aspiration...
I find that some of the most intelligent and thought worthy threads are posted by the truly inquisitive who attempt to share some of their core beliefs...or just share from the core of their self...I find it refreshing to have stripped away all of the dross so that the real individual is exposed...
Too often though they become the subject of ridicule...and we all sit around and wonder why the world is as we find it...

Perhaps it has something to do with such...I think more than most would choose to admit...
I wonder what would frighten so many that they would hide behind a finger pointed...I wonder if it might be that they fear the ridicule that is so frequently brandished by their own arm extended...and their own finger pointing...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Glad to see that you're at least focusing on the positive side of the amazement factor here on ATS.

More often than not, though, I find myself closing out my browser window shaking my head in a different type of amazement.

But, yes, there are some pretty intelligent people on here, but there are also some of those who are only book smart--having the appearance of intelligence, yet not deploying critical thinking and forming their own conclusions. They just regurgitate facts and quotes without giving the big picture to which those belong a second thought.

Sadly, those are the types that I tend to find myself trying to open up, but to no avail. But I've been stubbornly wrong, too, so it is what it is.

Keep focusing on the positive, though!

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpenEars123
So yes, there are a plethora of members on here that I secretly admire. I wouldn't tell them though as it might come across a little rapey.

As opposed to coming across as a little stalky?

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
A nice read!

ATS is a microcosm of the world. You will find the most brilliant posts, and then the not so brilliant just within a few clicks.

It's one of the reasons I love this place so much over my many year tenure.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I must say I am always pleasantly amazed at all the bright folks here on ATS. I spent many years in such a diverse life. My days were spent in heavy construction, steel and concrete; my nights were spent in the dark reaches of some physics book and theory.

My life henceforth hasn't been much different; at work I live in one of the highest technical environments imaginable, but come home to one of the lowest 'tech' world imaginable. During the day I work in aviation electronics engineering, but in the evening (and every morning) I work cows...just simple cattle.

My education, my profession, has become more than I could have ever expected. Looking back; my family always was very bright (two sisters with doctorates...not me though, just physics). I digress...

I really do enjoy this place they call ATS.

Yeah, the whole site is full of braniacs from the planet Smartroid. *rolls eyes

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
A nice read!

ATS is a microcosm of the world. You will find the most brilliant posts, and then the not so brilliant just within a few clicks.

It's one of the reasons I love this place so much over my many year tenure.

~Tenth

And sometimes these posts can be posted by the same member.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I feel that ATS is sometimes like my bookshelf at home.

Full of Puffin classics, Noam Chomsky and Richard Dawkins which I have the aspiration to read one day, however I can't help picking up the quick read Chick Lit, trashy novels or a bit of Jeremy Clarkson.

One day I will delve into the Physics and philosophy threads but I can't help automatically going to 'General Chit Chat'.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I agree with the others, great post.
I think it's why I'm drawn to the short stories so often, as you get to meet a different side of people there. It's a real privilege to meet those different sides, too.
Likewise the ancient civ forum - it's both fascinating and polite.
There are some very wonderful people on ATS - I really enjoy it too.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I am constantly amazed at some of the simple retorts people have here on some posts,

As the saying goes:

No need to use a hundred words when a few will do.

The unwritten 'law' of conservation if you will.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a fresh topic admiring the people here and how they are, for that thank you, so much bad here and there and everywhere.
ive learned so much from here, even if i dont post much i always read. read read read....and then smile, i see people here who do care, who can have a conversation....most now wont even speak! good to see you all, and thanks again

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20147828]Flyingclaydisk[/post

Well, I hear there ain't nothin simple about raising cattle and studying physics!

ATS used to focus more on the "unknown" rather than politics and fear. I miss that.

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
yes, pretty much any conceivable subject raised will find someone here with a vast knowledge of said subject, able to respond. pretty cool.

new topics

top topics

join