It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would Syria allow Russia to use tactical nuclear weapons on their soil?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
With Putin raising eyebrows this week by mentioning the possibility of using nuclear weapons against terrorists, although an unlikely scenario, do you think Syria would allow it in the Country?

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: concernedcitizen519
I don't think Russia would resort to nuclear warfare because that form of warfare is largely indiscriminate.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: concernedcitizen519
With Putin raising eyebrows this week by mentioning the possibility of using nuclear weapons against terrorists, although an unlikely scenario, do you think Syria would allow it in the Country?

Absolutely not.

Any sane person does not reduce the absolutely devastating power of a nuke to such a trivial use.

Sure, if 9 out of 10 isis in the entire world were going to be in this one town, maybe, consider it.

But even then, just surrounding it and killing them would be easier and less messy.

The initial explosion is only the beginning.

Then the lasting effects come into play.

link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
I don't think Russia would resort to nuclear warfare because that form of warfare is largely indiscriminate.

Not to mention that it would help further two of the objectives of the crazies in Syria. One is to bring about more fence sitters over to their side. Two is to position themselves as being something like the army of God/Allah/etc. in the final battle of good and evil like in Revelations.

link   

'Allow''?

Syria: "We will not allow you to use nuclear weapons in our country!"

Putin: "Oh, OK. Sorry I mentioned it. My bad."

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

No, I don't see it happening. I think almost all talk of nuclear weapons being used as sabre rattling. The fallout, metaphorically, would be too much for the Russian economy to handle. Not to mention the actual fallout left in the region, even in low yield devices.

The only way I see it happening is if there were a large scale attack on Russian soil that was confirmed to be from ISIS. It would have to be something like the 9/11 and Mumbai attacks put together and then some.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Very tough question unless it's considered as a defensive issue .

Poland considering asking for access to nuclear weapons under Nato program
Deputy defence minister says Poland is discussing whether to join other European countries in hosting nuclear arms to strengthen defences
www.theguardian.com... ....

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I'm afraid that what Syria wants is a moot point.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

'Allow''?

Syria: "We will not allow you to use nuclear weapons in our country!"

Putin: "Oh, OK. Sorry I mentioned it. My bad."

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking, if Russia wanted too, there's not a hell of a lot Syria could do about it. About as much choice as the bug has to the shoe.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

US uses nuclear weapons all the time.

Every time a hellfire missile explodes, an A10 fires its cannon and tanks fire armor penetrating rounds.

Depleted Uranium is radioactive.

Edit:

links
edit on 13-12-2015 by intrptr because: link

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1
I think Poland is being idiotic for such a plea. Poland has already plead for more NATO troops, nuclear weapons are unnecessary and frankly seems like an attempt to cage Russia in further.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

Which may be why Russia countered with the suggestion made by Putin . subtle messaging maybe ?

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Perhaps. I love Poland with all my soul (I mean the land and as a people), but this is just...beyond me. I feel Poland should leave the EU and not bring in more nuclear devices to the proximity of Russia.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Posturing.

The fallout dropping on NATO member Turkey from a detonation would be cause enough to ignite WW3..

Makes for great propaganda to play back home though..

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Seems that most countries have good peoples and interesting geography and history . But I think like the US most have a kind of deep state calling the shots . When you tie in the IMF/NATO/EU influences that can be used a levers , its not hard to understand the pressure that can be put on the politicians . sucks

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I'm going to say don't rule out anything.

Russia is the wildcard in the Syria situation. I like what they are trying to do. I like their postwar plan, because they are the only party with a coherent one.

But

Putin is getting shafted left, right and centre by nations who should know better and if they really were interested in ending the war in Syria would align with Putin, discuss his peace plan and come to a compromise. But they steadfastly refuse to do so, and all over embattled Assad, who even Putin admits will probably have to go after the fighting stops.

He might just get annoyed enough and determined enough with ISIS to use the odd tactical nuke. Remember tactical nukes are much smaller than the hiroshima bomb and therefore only destroy and irradiate a small area.

I hope he doesn't , but the mere fact he has mentioned them means never say never.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Hmm no. I cite this many times, but knowing that the German government realizes the refugees and accepting them was a mistake, and then telling Poland they must accept eleven thousand or else pay fines...Leave the EU, I assume it is the fact that Poland is a member of that, that they may be fined for rejection. But yes, I dislike the politics, but when it comes to the land and people there is no issue (though I have had more issues with Poles in Poland than any other group).

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure Putin is trying to scare ISIS. Hopefully he is joking because it is a banned weapon by the UN and World treaty. The only way Russians would use Nuke is if they have to fight NATO.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

think Poland is being idiotic for such a plea. Poland has already plead for more NATO troops, nuclear weapons are unnecessary and frankly seems like an attempt to cage Russia in further.

"Idiotic plea?"

That plea may have something to do with the concept that neighboring countries feel, rightfully so, that they need protection from Root'n Toot'n Shoot'n and Loot'n Putin. That's like feeling sorry for the bully.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown
Not technically neighboring. Sure Russia's relatively close, but not bordering. Really...he's the Root'n Toot'n Shoot'n and Loot'n guy....right...yes it is an idiotic plea. Poland should not have nuclear weapons in its borders. I would hope my countrymen are smarter than that, but then of course what power do they have truly in the matter.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join