It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel Interested in F-35Bs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Israel and the US are in talks about a potential Israeli acquisition of a squadron of F-35B vertical take off jets.

As first reported by the Walla news agency, talks over a new US decade-long defense package for Israel, starting in 2016, have expanded to include the possible acquisition of F-35B Lightning II short takeoff/vertical landing jets.

link.

So. Are certain other powers frustrated by their lack of progress on VSTOL? Or the Russian YAK-41/141s just too rusty to test?

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

As much as I support Israel, I really think that would be a bad idea. If they do get a version, I bet through deals it'll be more comparable to what our forces have versus what we're selling/licensing out to our other allies around the globe. I could very easily see it being more than glanced at by some of the powers we wouldn't want access to it.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

There's been a lot of controversy over the Israeli A models. First they basically demanded full access to the source code for the software, then as the Iran deal got closer to being signed they demanded to be the only operator in the region. They also have said that no matter what, they're installing their own equipment into them.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Israel wants the F-35B. I would like a pony. Of course, there's a nonzero chance that Israel will actually GET this pony, so maybe that's a bad comparison.

This seems like a bad idea. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that China has already pulled specs on all three F-35 variants right off the computer networks at the Pentagon and Lockheed, but blueprints are one thing. Actually seeing one in the flesh and getting hands-on time with components would be another thing entirely.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhloydPhan

Israel wants the F-35B. I would like a pony. Of course, there's a nonzero chance that Israel will actually GET this pony, so maybe that's a bad comparison.

This seems like a bad idea. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that China has already pulled specs on all three F-35 variants right off the computer networks at the Pentagon and Lockheed, but blueprints are one thing. Actually seeing one in the flesh and getting hands-on time with components would be another thing entirely.

I don't see the problem. Israel is at least up front on upgrading stock exports from the U.S.. They're the ones mostly will have the need of all the bells and whistles. Maybe even improve on the stock equipment....after market...like NAPA...

edit on 13-12-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

They're also the one that sent some of that export equipment to places we didn't want it to go.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They're also the one that sent some of that export equipment to places we didn't want it to go.

Yes, I've heard that. Now that you mention it, is there official proof of that and what was the quid pro quo that Israel received in return?

I'm not up on that story and, off the top, it seems an unwise act by Israel to bite the hand that feeds them....

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Of course not. They're too smart to leave proof. But the J-10 bears an incredible resemblance to the Lavi. Far more so than just having the same role.

Israel has always done what they think is best, and damn the consequences. You'd think it would be stupid to repeatedly get people to spy on one of the very few friendly nations out there. That hasn't stopped them yet.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yeah not gonna lie Israel is our best friend in that region, but still they will inevitably act purely out of their own self interest. I think the Dimona inspections, and the various spy efforts over the years show this clearly. What is your opinion on Pollard being released?

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

Utter BS. If it was an American spying on Israel, he'd never see the light of day again, if they didn't just outright execute him.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Yeah it's crazy how much he betrayed us but still saw the light of day in the end.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Of course not. They're too smart to leave proof. But the J-10 bears an incredible resemblance to the Lavi. Far more so than just having the same role.

Israel has always done what they think is best, and damn the consequences. You'd think it would be stupid to repeatedly get people to spy on one of the very few friendly nations out there. That hasn't stopped them yet.

So the possibility that it was a mole/traitor who perhaps sold and passed the information on has been....discounted?

It's not like it hasn't happen to us.....

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

It's too much information and from a far, far earlier time. The Lavi was cancelled in 1987. The J-10 kicked off in 1988.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I thought that might be the case.

Your last point implies...that perhaps more was made of it than was appropriate?

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

There were, iirc, comments by the Chinese strongly implying they got help from the Israelis.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

There was a comment made by a Russian engineer that worked closely with China that he was told that the missing Lavi prototype went to China with engineering assistance.

If anything not enough was made of it.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
No doubt the Israelis will be asking for the planes to be donated..

Re-- Chosen ones !

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Ahh, comments by both Soviets and Chinese...Of course their motives are more trustworthy than Israel's.....it must be true then...

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

The Israelis won't say it because they know as soon as they say it out loud, they'll cause a serious shbt storm in the US Congress and risk too much.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Any links or further reading material about that incident? I have read some stuff in passing but it seems like any solid info got swept up pretty effectively

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join