It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Steyr M9 Pistol: Austrian Firearms Have Captured My Heart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I'm a huge fan of almost anything made in Europe when it comes to firearms. The Slovenian Grand Power line of pistols, the Czechnology of CZ firearms, and the history and weapons of Walther Arms and Heckler & Koch.

But Austrian arms manufacturers seem to make weapons that are exceptional and special. Glock is a perfect example of Austrian engineering and design. They sought to create an amazingly simple pistol that was durable, light weight and reliable. Their success is measured in the extreme popularity of their products for law enforcement, military, and civilian markets. No other weapons manufacturer has the level of after market support that Glock enjoys.

I own a Glock 19 Gen 4. It is the pistol I typically carry every day. Thanks to the overwhelming after market support I was able to have the slide machined to accept a Trijicon RMR, and install a Ghost Inc. 3.5 lbs trigger connector to smooth out my trigger without making it lighter(I like the stock weight of 5.5 lbs). It has been 100% reliable. In over 2500 rounds not one failure. That is what I expect from Glock....But another pistol has stolen my heart...Another prettier and older company with a long history of quality firearms. Steyr Mannlicher.

Makers of the infamous Steyr AUG rifle, they have an established and long history of making some of the best weapons on the market. They also make handguns for the law enforcement and civilian market. The M series of pistols is what I will discuss here.

I've been after a Steyr M9 9mm pistol for quite some time. The ergonomics, trapezoidal sighting system, extremely low bore axis, and excellent engineering of the handgun is what Glock should have been...It is rumored that ex-Glock engineers defected to Steyr and subsequently designed the M, S, C, and L series pistols.

I finally picked up a Steyr M9. I found it in a pawn shop I happened to walk into. The pistol was in pristine condition showing about a box worth of wear(50 rounds or so).

This is the weapon I picked up:

I took it out for my range testing. Since it was a weapon I hadn't handled too much before hand, I decided to take about 150 rounds of familiarity shooting. I was unsure of how to use the trapezoidal sights, or how to handle the light trigger whose reset was not tactile or audible at all. There was a learning curve to navigate first. I got through about 50 of those rounds before I got the hang of it and started shooting some amazing groups.

Once I got through my familiarity session I moved on to accuracy testing. I fired several extremely tight 5 round groups of less than an inch at 7, 10, and 15 yards...But then I decided to do something I normally don't do with a new gun. I decided to see what would happen if I shot center mass using fast controlled pairs at 15 yards:

You're seeing 15 rounds on paper. The results for this kind of firing is exceptional. While I am an expert marksman, you have to understand that this kind of grouping from a handgun at 15 yards is excellent combat accuracy. A lot of this is really due to the engineering and design of this firearm. There was almost no muzzle rise, the recoil went straight back, and the sights were incredibly accurate and easy to acquire, even when shooting quickly.

I love my Glock 19...But the Steyr is a better pistol out of the box. I would give this gun a 5 out of 5 stars. One of the finest 9mm pistols ever made.

Happy Shooting!
edit on -06:00Sun, 13 Dec 2015 18:30:39 -0600201513America/Chicago2015-12-13T18:30:39-06:0031vx12 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I did some shooting with an FN 5.7 this weekend. It is impressively accurate for a hand gun. Holds 20 rounds. The ammo is a little pricey, but overall it is a pretty sweet piece.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Austrian Firearms Have Captured My Heart page: 1

Congratulations!

That thing is pure gravy.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
As always good post. I enjoy reading your reviews of firearms. How easy is it to take down to clean? I carry a Glock 21 gen 4 and I love it, but I want to get a 9mm and can't decide. I'm always trading and buying new guns but the two I own that I will die with is my Glock and my DPMS 308

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: slednecktx

If you look at the image you will see the takedown lever. Clear the weapon, pull the trigger, press the button to the left of the lever and turn the lever down and you will feel the slide pop forward slightly. Pull the slide off. Everything else is exactly like the Glock.

Afterward all you have to do is put it all together and rack the slide back. Done.

That button has two holes in it. Those holes are for a key that you can use to disable the gun. When the lock is in place the trigger is locked and can't be pulled and you can't disassemble the weapon. The slide will still move and you can still use the magazines, but you won't be able to fire the weapon. Good feature for long term storage and to keep unauthorized personnel from using the weapon. The pistol comes with two keys and they are both identical.
edit on -06:00Mon, 14 Dec 2015 07:20:00 -0600201514America/Chicago2015-12-14T07:20:00-06:0031vx12 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Good review brother from a medically retired Army vet...

I've seen some Steyr M40's for sale on classicfirearms and was tempted to pull the trigger on one (no pun intended) for the price since I'm in the market for a 40S&W service pistol anyway...I got 3 9mm's (4 counting my wife's) and the only 40's I have are the Hi-Point JCP and my S&W Shield...I sold another...

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: GrOuNd_ZeRo

The prices on those M40s are fantastic. Scoop one up while they have them. You won't be disappointed.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I remember when the glock came out, my friend bought one and i was making fun of it, until i shot it, i could not believe how accurate it was for an auto, with no work done to it, and handled very well, very easy to get on target, unlike some other auto's. At the time, I just bought colt 45 combat, it was terrible, the only way you'd hit a barn, is if you threw it at it.
they need to be sent right to the gunsmith, they are terrible out of the box, unlike the glock, i was, and still am very impressed by them.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: zigoapex

My primary carry is a lightly modified Glock 19. If you take a look through my firearms related posts you'll notice that I have carried and tried a wide variety of weapons.

To me, of all my weapons(to include the Steyr) my Glock 19 is my go to.

I'm picking up a Glock 26 soon since the summer months are approaching and I'll need something small to carry.

posted on Apr, 21 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I'm picking up a Glock 26 soon since the summer months are approaching and I'll need something small to carry.

What?

You don't have something fashionably correct from last summer?

edit on 21-4-2016 by Bybyots because: ?

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

No.

Even my SCCY is inadequate to the task.

posted on Apr, 22 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Okay,

Super funny. Listen, would you be willing to tell me what your Summer vs Winter carries are so I can compare the weight so that I can better understand the burdensome load you are under?

Oh wow, I think I get it: You are concerned about Profile vs Clothing rather than weight.

How interesting. Make sense.

edit on 22-4-2016 by Bybyots because: thanks

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

For me its about printing. As you said, the profile.

I carry a Gen 4 Glock 19 in the colder months.

The Glock 26 Gen 4 is a subcompact version. Generally its the same thickness. But what I am really concerned with is the grip. The grip is the only part that really sticks out, and for that reason a Glock 26 would fit better in the summer months when clothing doesn't cover up as much.

I can always open carry, but that is not something I am comfortable doing all the time.

top topics

join