It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here’s What a Man Who Studied Every Suicide Attack in the World Says About ISIS’ Motives

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
www.alternet.org...

Despite the existence of a good deal of research about terrorism, there’s a gap between the common understanding of what leads terrorists to kill and what many experts believe to be true.

Terrorist groups like ISIS and Al Qaeda are widely seen as being motivated by their radical theology. But according to Robert Pape, a political scientist at the University of Chicago and founder of the Chicago Project on Security and Terrorism, this view is too simplistic. Pape knows his subject; he and his colleagues have studied every suicide attack in the world since 1980, evaluating over 4,600 in all.

He says that religious fervor is not a motive unto itself. Rather, it serves as a tool for recruitment and a potent means of getting people to overcome their fear of death and natural aversion to killing innocents. “Very often, suicide attackers realize they have instincts for self-preservation that they have to overcome,” and religious beliefs are often part of that process, said Pape in an appearance on my radio show, Politics and Reality Radio, last week. But, Pape adds, there have been “many hundreds of secular suicide attackers,” which suggests that radical theology alone doesn’t explain terrorist attacks. From 1980 until about 2003, the “world leader” in suicide attacks was the Tamil Tigers, a secular Marxist group of Hindu nationalists in Sri Lanka.

I hope everyone who has read this far continues onto the link and finishes the article because it's fascinating and eye opening. In today's media fear is being driven about Muslims, Sharia Law, the dreaded Caliphate and it's believed terrorists are what they are because of Islam. We've seen thread after thread, post after post demonizing Islam and the root cause of this ignorance is because of terrorism. We have people like Trump saying we need to ban all Muslims from the USA because of terrorist attacks and that's because it's commonly believed if you're a Muslim you're probably a terrorist.

Turns out, terrorism isn't based off of religion but political motives. Religion is a great tool to used for recruitment and quelling the minds of suicide bombers to kill themselves but military occupation is usually the driving force behind these attacks.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Religion is a great tool to used for recruitment and quelling the minds of suicide bombers to kill themselves but military occupation is usually the driving force behind these attacks.

Yah, if they had an air force it would be easier to place ordnance on target, huh?

Edit:

Military.com

As far as individual suicide attacks, there aren't many instances they survive to tell their tale of recruitment and motivations. The one survivor captured in Mum Bai hotel attack was interviewed extensively…

edit on 13-12-2015 by intrptr because: additional

+20 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
terrorism is done for a purpose, i agree, but islam justifies it.

link   
a reply to: intrptr

Obviously, and then they wouldn't need religion to convince people to kill themselves.

link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Terrorism=politics=dictatorship.

link   
a reply to: vjr1113

Islam justifies it? How so? Did you read the article?

link   

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

im talking about islamic terrorism. jihad and martyrdom justifies terrorism. the article sounds more like opinion, which is fine.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Opinions of experts who took the time to study the subject at hand. They have way more knowledge than your or I, let alone the media and politicians so I would take their findings seriously.

(post by nullafides removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

you can believe what you want but unless you can prove that jihad and martyrdom DOESN'T justify terrorism, there's no point arguing.

edit on 13-12-2015 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: vjr1113

you can believe what you want but unless you can prove that jihad and martyrdom DOESN'T justify terrorism, there's no point arguing.

I think what the guy is saying is that Theology does justify it or rationalize it and helps people deal with the act of terrorism but isn't the prime motivation behind it. Political ideology is what he attributes to the motivating factor. Meanwhile religious ideology is what get's people over that mental barrier of self preservation and the guilt of killing other people.

One motivates someone to want to kill others, while the other helps them justify actually doing it.

link   
a reply to: nullafides

Wtf sort of answers are you giving ? are you announcing Pro-Terrorism ?

link   

link   

How about you listen to what experts who have actually studied terrorism since the 80s have to say? What's so hard about that?

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

thats what i said in my first post

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join