It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Force Awakens thread

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

I will go again, this time in 3d, first time i focused on the tale

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Ha! See I saw in 3D today and next time want to see in 2D.
I don't mind the 3D and have enjoyed it in a couple movies previously, but wasn't hugely impressed by it in this and didn't feel it necessary - a couple of scenes and vehicles and fights were blurry too because of 3D and the reflection in the glasses was annoying.
edit on 20-12-2015 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
I will go again, this time in 3d, first time i focused on the tale

I am going for round two tomorrow in 3D based on the recommendation of my friend who saw it on NYC Friday night.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I generally can't stand 3dm gives me a headache. But a few people have said it's one of the best 3d movies they have seen.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Cool meet you back here for a 3D hangover

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I generally can't stand 3dm gives me a headache. But a few people have said it's one of the best 3d movies they have seen.

Hmmm well we all see things differently I guess.
I mean for sure the craft, some of the other vehicles, some scenery, some high up shots just look awesome and a couple scenes feel like they're on the end of your nose - not saying it was all bad, I just wasn't that crazy about it.
I have seen quite a lot in 3D and this definitely used it very well - but I don't feel the experience was a vastly improved by watching in 3D.
Then again I've yet to see it in 2D so what am I saying, huh?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I cannot remember the last 3D film I went to but he assured me that the 3D effects were great and that I would enjoy it and he is a super geek when it comes to movies.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I prefer 2D . But feel I have to try both. After all what kind of Geek would I be if I didn't?

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

The 3d was pretty good. I would give it a 4 out of 5 and this is from someone who dislikes 3D.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
I haven't been to any theater since the movie "Titanic".I did ask my husband if
I could watch "Star Wars" and he said no.He wants to wait until we can rent it.

My husband says that I can watch the new Star Wars movie.He will drop me off
and pick me up after the movie is over!

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Wutchin it right now!

The Milenium Falcon!!

I hearts it.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
We're definitely seeing it again in 3D.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Saw it again and it wasn't as good as the first time but was still enjoyable. It's interesting that it's laying the groundwork for how the new characters are going to evolve over the next 2 films.

I did like the unpredictably tantrum prone childish emoness of Kylo Ren though, will be cool to see where they take the character.

The CGI for some of the aliens was abysmal but the x wing dogfights made up for it.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Amazing movie, great nostalgia for those that saw the originals as children, it finishes on a note that makes you want to watch the next one immediately, and in that way it is comparable to TESB.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I did like the unpredictably tantrum prone childish emoness of Kylo Ren though, will be cool to see where they take the character.

Yep, my stepson (DJ) is EXACTLY like this, so we now refer to Kylo Ren as "Darth DJ" in our home. LOL.

It will be fun to rewatch the movie and concentrate on key points this time. I've really tried to break down Rey's vision when touching the lightsaber, and that led to my theory (separate thread with spoilers).

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Saw it again today in 2D and wasn't as blown away by it.
Both the visual experience and movie were poorer the 2nd time around.
I actually felt it drag in a couple places and I have to say there are parts where the 3D were really good first time I watched that felt less this time.

I still enjoyed it and had a couple of waves of emotion again but definitely not as enjoyable as first time and didn't find the movie as interesting or enthralling as the other day.
Still miles better than the prequel garbage.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
[SPOILER'S ALERT------------------------------------------------------------- IF YOU ARE STILL READING THIS, YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR!]

Saw it on the weekends, thought it sucked major balls. I'm not one of those trash talkers though, but it wasn't a very fun experience for me. I'm a huge Star Wars nerd, that read almost all EU and original books.

A couple of things I didn't like:

1. After watching it, it felt like Star Wars: The Ride, instead of Star Wars: Jedi vs Sith.

2. Kylo Ren makes 0 sense. EMO kid, lashes out all the time, thinks he's Vader, trained as a Dark Jedi. Knows the Force, can utilize it better than most Republic era Jedi's. Why? When was the last time you've seen Obi Wan or Qui Gon Jin or Anakin Skywalker stopping a energy bolt straight in mid air and keeps it frozen in time... But somehow this bad ass villain gets schooled by a little girl with 0 training.

Yes, Rey does have combat proficiency, if you combine that with Force sensitivity, yes it is possible she can handle a Lightsaber, however, to what degree? To a point where she is capable of overwhelming a Sith Apprentice who built his own Lightsaber already and can use the Force to such a accurate degree just makes 0 sense to me.

3. I don't like a female protagonist. Call me sexist, call me a lady hater, call me whatever you want. I don't like or want a Female Lead in Star Wars.

It's just been done too much lately. Marvel and DC is spinning the # out of this right now. It's like I'm stuck in the middle of a female empowering movement or something. Turning Thor into a woman? No thank you.

4. Rey is too much of a perfect character. So perfect that her character is a little fake. She has the perfect set of morals, perfect body shape, perfect survival skills, perfect Force sensitivity, speaks Droid and Wookie, can over power a Dark Jedi without any training what so ever, the list just goes on and on. So much so that it has become "unbelievable" and can't really relate to the character.

Anakin/Luke, in all of their perfections in the Force, has fundamental issues with their personality and traits. When Luke enters the Force Cave on Degobah, it is quite obvious that he has Vader within him, he is an imperfect character. But not our new Female lead... she's just perfect, yup :rolls eyes:.

5. Fighting choreography still hasn't improved after so many years, it's beginning to piss me off. It's like, neither Lucas or Disney is paying attention to what the fans truly wants.

Let me give you a few examples, while we all understand that these may be EU story lines and are no longer canon or what not, but it still doesn't excuse the Investors, Directors, Producers completely ignoring what fans truly love about Star Wars.

For instance, I was more expecting to see this:

Or, as epic and more emotional like this:

But no no no no no no no no no.... instead, after 30 #ing years, we still get this in The Force Awakens:

You know what? All HOPE is lost.

I'll put my faith in Episode 8 or Star Wars Rogue One, since at least there's Donnie Yen in there and we can see some true martial arts action blended into Star Wars. Instead of watching years of wood chopping and Western fencing crap.

If Episode 8 poops again, with 0 Jedi vs Sith (trained) fights, I'm done with Star Wars lol...

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: truthseeker84

I was underwhelmed by the fights too. The guys in this clip were supposed to do the fight choreography. All they ended up doing was running away from the tentacle thing han solo was smuggling. Imagine this with Jedis and lightsabers!
youtu.be...

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015

I was underwhelmed by the fights too. The guys in this clip were supposed to do the fight choreography. All they ended up doing was running away from the tentacle thing han solo was smuggling. Imagine this with Jedis and lightsabers!
youtu.be...

Well, that sucks....

The Raid and The Raid 2 was such badassery, can't even begin to describe the insane choreography in there. I really didn't know those two were supposed to be directing the action... how in the hell did it end up like The Force Awaken's final battle....

But you know what, it don't matter, because in my mind, I always pictured Star Wars Lightsaber battle to be like this:

This is why I have high hopes for Star Wars: Rogue One but not so much on Episode 8.

You see, the prequel fights suffer from the same problems. The Obi Wan/Quai Gon vs. Maul fight was so retarded... but hey, so many people enjoyed that fight and thought it was some kind of miracle.

LoL, I on the other hand, completely disagree. Obi/QG vs Maul fight was so poorly done, for crying out loud, there was several (I counted more than 7) instances, the Jedi's are basically twisting and hitting Maul in such a weird way, it has no practical uses. It's as if they are not trying to strike Maul down for reals, but instead trying to hit his Lightsaber at certain area to make the fight look like as if it's real.

Asian fighting choreography rarely suffer these problems. Let me show you a few examples:

Now imagine if they are holding Lightsaber and a Lightsaber shoto.

Or this level of realism when it comes to hand to hand combat, especially the choreography, connecting, camera angle...

or this

I can go on and on, but it really won't help.

One key reason is, Lucas and his Minion followers (including JJ Abrams) is really not looking at Star Wars, like an action film. They treat it as a Space Opera, so they're more inclined to deal with the story and poetic aspect of the film, rather than figure out exactly where they got the action sequences wrong.

To them, Story > Action Sequence. However, to a lot of Star Wars die hard nerd fans, Action Sequence is equally as important as the Story.

edit on 12/24/2015 by truthseeker84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Haha I have all of those flicks, I'm a total geek for martial arts movies man. Sha Po Lang and Flash point are awesome. I thought the annakin vs obi Wan fight from revenge of the sith was decent, the rest..not so much.

Donnie Yen is official but he's been horribly underused by Hollywood in the past; I hope they get some good stuff out of him and let him do his thing instead of giving him a crap part like blade 2.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join