It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best way to live a full life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
If you have a computer, and can see this topic, you're one of the few exceptions in the world that has the ability to access the internet, thus having an infinite amount of knowledge, information, ideas, creativity, and possibilities at your fingertips. Consider yourself overwhelmingly lucky

Chances are you are part of a first world country, and you likely have some sort of freedom and influence on the direction you're life is going. Despite all this, not all of us have an equal amount of influence, some are born into wealth, some live in an area where education may not be up to par with the rest of the country/state/province/territory, some of us have parents that work extremely hard, and some have grown up with parents who were simply terrible.

The system on average (at least in North America), basically requires you to go to school, work excessively, and retire old. Many people enjoy this system, many are content with it, many want more than it, and many want a simple life.

Personally, I highly dislike this system. From a young age it was drilled in my head that success in life means wealth, big toys, multiple properties, and the 1%. This mentality was mildly projected through my parents, and pummeled into my mind through the media. It wasn't until I was working at a job that required me to work 3/4 weeks a month (and sometimes more), away from my wife, and away from what I would consider living (to me personally). I was paid a lot, never really got that far ahead, and then that job disappeared and everyone was laid off. Suddenly there were no jobs that could sustain what I had thought was acceptable, I ended up living off of Employment insurance for a while, and was losing a good $2,000 per month due to bills and overspending.

So, money got tighter, and we started to sell off a few things that we realized we didn't really need. However, I didn't really mind that we were selling unnecessary things. After all, they were unnecessary to live. Right now, I'm about to get a job that I don't particularly want to do, in order to move to a more affordable place, building our own house, grow our own food, live off the land as much as possible, and simply worry less about what is ideal for societal views.

To me and my wife, even though it may be a lot of work, it's work that we want to do, and it's a life we want to live. Despite working, it's working for us, it's doing what we enjoy, and it's a much more fulfilling life than what we had last year and had grown up to believe is the rule.

So how do you view society? is it for you? or do you want something different?

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Our access to the internet, albeit it shrinking with restrictions by the day, is a gift of vision. We can see the machine and how it works. I agree with your stance, the system has some grievous errors that hurt everyone. The system needs fixed, changed, but how?

We must use our vision to obtain the knowledge. Take the knowledge and share it with those that do not have the vision. This is where the subject of poverty and race can come into play. The racial divide is also commonly one of poverty versus non-poverty. Keeping the races divided keeps the visionaries from properly imparting this knowledge onto those that cannot 'see'. We need to be united in order to change the system for the better, but are constantly being divided by the system itself.

Seeing the big picture is one thing, but it means nothing if we cannot pass that on to those around us. There are folks with access to the knowledge that still cannot decypher the big picture. Imparting knowledge to those that 'think' they know is almost as difficult as sharing it with those that lack the access altogether.

We are blessed with the vision into the inner workings of the system, I feel it is our part to realize the role we play in being noble in how we pass truths on to others.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Live life as it were a game. With any good game their will bechallenges, but you don't want a game where you win all the time as that would be boring so learn from your losses, but realise it's only a game and not to be taken too seriously. If you get the chance to travel, take it, but try to be content wherever you are.
edit on 13-12-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   

My wife and I did a similar type journey out of normal life a while back. Very similar like your lay off's and such. Mine all started right after 9/11 because the place I worked was a non-profit and they lost a lot of funding because that money was being pulled to go attack the wrong country instead. So on and so on. Only I'm not building a house like you are.

What I've actually wanted to do is make an underground house. There is a book that should be downloadable somewhere that shows how to do it and it's amazing what you can do. I'll see if I can find it.

It took me a bit to adjust to living half in and half out of society. You also exit differently depending on your location. Rural area is the best I think because of the space you have to breath. In town I escape most into cyberspace which isn't as relaxing. But it is entertaining.

I think once you start seeing reality without some of the layers of lies and make believe it's difficult to try and ignore it like you used to. At least for me.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
What I've actually wanted to do is make an underground house. There is a book that should be downloadable somewhere that shows how to do it and it's amazing what you can do. I'll see if I can find it.

That would be fantastic if you could find it. we were considering building underground as well, but figured for it to be insurable/legal that we would need a lot of external people to achieve it (for instance, an architect, and maybe an engineer)

We're building between 200sqf-800sqf, so it's not going to be too difficult/expensive. We do like the idea of underground for the green-energy factor, as we'll be integrated the house to be as eco-friendly as possible.

originally posted by: mOjOm
It took me a bit to adjust to living half in and half out of society. You also exit differently depending on your location. Rural area is the best I think because of the space you have to breath. In town I escape most into cyberspace which isn't as relaxing. But it is entertaining.

I think once you start seeing reality without some of the layers of lies and make believe it's difficult to try and ignore it like you used to. At least for me.

We'll be moving quite far from civilization. Cheap land, lots of resources, quiet.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

We'll be moving quite far from civilization. Cheap land, lots of resources, quiet.

There ya go.

The type of underground house and style matter a lot. There is all kinds, some amazing or hidden or some that look just like a house with some dirt on top. The book I remember was from some hippy kinda guys in the 60s I think and they show what can be done super cheap and it's pretty amazing. Then you take that and advance it by today's resources or whatever and you could do something pretty cool I think.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I view society as broken, I suffer existential depression due to this, everyone I speak to says "oh you need to enjoy life" but when I think about it, what is there to enjoy ? Let's simplify "life" as it is now

Most people work 8 hours a day doing jobs that don't really provide much satisfaction
They spend almost 2 hours a day traveling to and from said job
They spend 7 hours a day sleeping
They spend up to an hour in the morning getting ready for work

So that's 18 hours of a 24 hour day not living

During the working week, when you do get home you spend roughly an hour cooking and eating and by the time all that is done you're generally so exhausted from the days grind that there's little you can do for yourself so you're left with 5 hours to live each day, providing you have the energy and don't resort to just sitting in front of a screen on a couch.

So then you just have the weekends, but most use their weekends to do household chores, gardening, shopping

So really, what is life ? What's the point apart from just being a cog doing some bull# job that provides no sense of worth in order to pay your taxes to support wars, corrupt politicians and contributing towards a broken societal system that has little consideration for quality of life and only focus is about keeping the broken system running. Not to mention most who are part of this system are barely struggling to survive on the little pay they get from their crappy job.

Sorry if this seems all depressing but when you think about it, there is very little living in life

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
24 years into a career I love which has given me financial freedom.

I enjoy having my mind constantly pushed which is what my job does..on top if that I work in a place that makes a difference in the world so I can end each day with a sense of pride.
When I'm not improving my knowledge base to push that career along the financial freedom it has given me allows me to live life the way I want..

If I want to take a vacation then I can pay for it and not worry.
If I want to go spend a few hundred dollars on records I can.
If my family needs help with something I can give it to them.

Being successful isn't s crime, isn't any less fulfilling then living a simple life it is just a different way to go about living.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I don't view society in a favourable fashion, and I want something different.

I would love to live in the middle of no-where, just myself and my little family, living off the land and earning our own needs. Yes, it would be hard. But it would be -worth- it. I don't feel as though people truly "live" anymore, the society we live in encourages and enforces a mindless braindead existence. I'll go out and say it, I hate the economy, I hate how it's a necessary evil in life. I would prefer a proper trade and assistance system where everyone contributes in some form and I should probably go and live in a hippie commune. (Though I'm totally not a hippie)

Also, I'm seeing all this living underground talk
I love that idea. Down here we have a few areas where you can live underground and it would be so good in my opinion. Warm in winter, cool in summer, can have a garden on top of your "house" (If you live in a favourable climate anyway)

Google Images: Australian Dugout Homes

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I view 'societal life' in a similar fashion. But you forgot to answer one thing, what would you prefer your life to be?

originally posted by: kaelci
I would prefer a proper trade and assistance system where everyone contributes in some form and I should probably go and live in a hippie commune. (Though I'm totally not a hippie)

Funny, I am building a commune for individuals looking to get away from conventional society and living how you've described (and I certainly am not a hippie)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

If only my family and I lived in Canada!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Try and give yourself brain damage as early as possible in life. Its the only way you will be able to function in today's society. Any amount of sensible critical thinking or planning is bound to result in resentment and bitter disappointment.

Merry Christmas

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I don't really know what I want my life to be, I think I was just born at the wrong time, I would have been happy as an explorer in the old times or in the future on a spaceship probably as that sounds really appealing or even just as a hunter gatherer living off the land. Life now just seems so boring and dull, if we lived in a utopia I'd be able to try many things to see what suits me but unfortunately in this world we have to make choices few of us can ever go back on when it comes to finding work.

Education system is inherently flawed too it claims fairness by setting the same system for everyone but not everyone is suited to the system because everybody is different and people learn differently but it's just another "system" we're forced to adhere to in life, there was a funny picture I saw that summed the education system, it had all the zoo animals lined up with a sign asking them to climb a tree.

It just sucks from a young age we're forced into systems to adhere to training us up to be little worker drones and when we're older we're bombarded with work and distractions to prevent the majority from thinking "is this all there is?" too few people get time or the desire to contemplate on existential things or they're just happy scraping the barrel of life for some unknown reason. Sometimes I wish I wasn't a deep thinker and intelligent and I could just be numb to what I see around me and enjoy life for what it is but I can't so I just feel trapped in this crazy world where life = servitude
edit on 13/12/15 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
Sometimes I wish I wasn't a deep thinker and intelligent and I could just be numb to what I see around me and enjoy life for what it is but I can't so I just feel trapped in this crazy world where life = servitude

Well, ignorance is bliss, and there's a high likelihood of depression with people who are highly intelligent.

As for your wants, I don't see why they aren't achievable. There are plenty of places on Earth that are undiscovered, and it's still possible to live off the lands as well. You may be viewed as something 'lesser' or a 'gypsy' or what have you by many others who accept the way society is run, but ultimately, what would give you more joy? appeasing to others' view, or doing what gives you more freedom?

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Good food, good music, fun activities, and love and be loved...

Do all that, and I'd say it falls into the "win" category. Granted, you have to have bad days and work, etc. to have the good days...but it's worth it.

top topics

join