It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I cooked Hardtack today: an everlasting food

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Inannamute
I have to say, though your OP mentions that you don't want to use preserving methods like canning

It's not so much that I don't want to can, but more-so simply want to see if some other things out there are capable of keeping without canning.

I do plan on reading up on canning science and technique myself

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Fair enough
I think there's room for a lot of different types of food storage/preservation techniques, and I commend you for trying out more than one.

If you do plan on buying a canner, go with a pressure canner - anything you can preserve using the boiling water method, you can use a pressure canner to do too for a lower energy cost (since securing the lid on your canner minimizes energy loss, where the reverse is not true.

This recipe is the first one I tried - www.youtube.com...

and it turned out extremely well

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I saw that bees and honey came up on this thread.

While researching my upcoming garden, I became more and more aware of how important bees are to agriculture.
I really had no idea....I mean, I knew the basics, but wow, so many crops depend on their pollination. It really is amazing.

Anyhoo....came across this:

www.honeyflow.com...

Seems like an easy way to be an amateur beekeeper, and get honey on tap to boot. I've also read the naysayers on this device, and still I'm convinced it is a pretty good idea to eventually add to our sustainability arsenal. With just one of these, we should be able to ensure we have plenty of bees to pollinate our small garden or any expansion of it.

Not saying it would be an immediate addition, but once it becomes a bit more prevalent, would be a good idea.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

Most definitely correct.

I actually have a topic on that very device. I think it's a incredible concept. It will certainly allow a lot of amateurs into the hobby. The more that join, the more bees will be around, the more sustainable everyone will be, and the more the ecosystem will be at an equilibrium

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join