It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I cooked Hardtack today: an everlasting food

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I think wheat grains last a real long time. I have mylar nags full of grain in buckets, and a bosch electric grain mill. Hard tack sounds cool. I also like yeast bread. I droped a chunk of dry ice into my buckets then filled them with rice and beans. Hundreds of pounds. Im sure macaroni products last too. I have buckets od pound bags od spagetti and all types of macaroni. That is some good stuff.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
I think wheat grains last a real long time. I have mylar bags full of grain in buckets, and a bosch electric grain mill. Hard tack sounds cool. I also like yeast bread. I droped a chunk of dry ice into my buckets then filled them with rice and beans. Hundreds of pounds. Im sure macaroni products last too. I have buckets od pound bags od spagetti and all types of macaroni. That is some good stuff.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Wait until you discover the 'joys' of pinole and pemmican.

The very first MREs. And with much the same problems.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam
Elimination?
Overrated.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Elimination? Overrated.

Yeah, who needs to poop anyway. Totally overrated. Then again, I've heard that's where crappy ideas come from lol.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I actually have heard of pemmican. My wife is partially aboriginal and her family makes it some times. Again, I'd like to try and make it the traditional way just for the knowledge, but it doesn't look very appetizing.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147
Dried meat

yum

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

I actually have heard of pemmican.

If you hunt, try making it with dried venison and deer fat. It'll last forever.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Jerky is pretty darn good

not so sure about pemmican though

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
Wait until you discover the 'joys' of pinole and pemmican.

The very first MREs. And with much the same problems.

C/K-rats now there's some food to die for....literally. I bet there's cases and cases of that stuff all over the Pacific and just as tasty as the day it was air-dropped.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

I actually have heard of pemmican. My wife is partially aboriginal and her family makes it some times. Again, I'd like to try and make it the traditional way just for the knowledge, but it doesn't look very appetizing.

You really want to add powdered dried cranberries. It sorta cuts the greasiness, and adds in the vitamin C that you'll be short of otherwise. And if you also pack along some pinole, it's even sort of...balanced. In a sad way.

The pinole fills you up and contributes enough fiber to keep the mail moving, albeit slowly. Otherwise with just pemmican, you'll be hungry all the time.

eta: if the place you're in has game, you can just take pinole and hunt as you go.
edit on 12-12-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Jerky is marinated and smoked. I think.

Though I always have had a hard time keeping it lit.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Have you tried dipping it in some grape soul?

Call it a Virginia Slim Jim.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Search on ATS "pemmican" threads from a few years ago.
edit on 12-12-2015 by Granite because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2015 by Granite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Ok made a small batch, baked at 375 for 15 minutes then fried in butter just to brown them up.

Then dipped in apple pie shine.

Nice!!

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: forkedtongue
I think anything goes with shine. After a few shots you probably wouldn't taste anything lol.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I think anything goes with shine. After a few shots you probably wouldn't taste anything lol.

Gave it a nice cinnamon flavor, and yes the shine goes well with everything! !

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I've had regular shine but haven't been lucky enough to have apple pie yet; not the real stuff anyway. I had some from the liquor store but it's not the same as shine.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
If one is going to actually eat hardtack one better intersperse each bite with a little swig of water, because something so dry as a bone as this will get after a while, is not good for your digestive system. You don't want to flood your stomach and dilute your stomach acid but it expects at least a little moisture in its food.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join