It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LCS Remote Minehunting System fails

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I don't know one person in the Navy who wants the LCS except the top brass and officers. You see they need a bunch of new ships so they can promote a bunch of people to Captain and Admiral that don't deserve it. Back in the day it was like one admiral to 1000 ships or something. Now it's like one Admiral to 35 ships or something close. LCS is all politics and career ticket punching for officers. We have better stuff that does the job and the LCS is not needed.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Mine sweeping should be left to ships built to sweep mines.

Useing LCSs to sweep mines will never work.

Better to use ships like mine countermeasures ships, mine hunters or for un-sweepable mines ships like the EX-USS Washtenaw County (LST-1166/MSS-2)
www.navsource.org...

I served on mine sweeps and cleared the mines from Haiphong harbor, North Vietnam during Operation Endsweep.
en.wikipedia.org...

Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Iron Men. MSO-437
www.vetfriends.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I think some of the more current stuff that does the job isn't even ship-based, but helicopters operating in close support. They can cover a bigger area more quickly and since it's just a sounding device or dredge on a tow line, it's not like they're risking much with a hull in the water. Then depending on what or where it is, they'll hit it with the dredge, drop demoliton divers, or use the ASW stuff like torpedos or depth charges.

<< 1   >>

join