It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

False Advertisment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Well, recently I saw a new blockbuster commercial advertising that they have eliminated the late movie return fee. I though, "theres got to be some kind of catch".

I was right.

After talking about this in the ATS chatroom with another member, I soon found out that after 7 days past due, they charge the ammount of the video and the "replacement fee" to you credit card.

I think this is a good example of false advertisment. Advertisers have getting away with this for too long. I for one am sick of this BS.

comments?

-J

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   
If you listen to the exact wording used in that commercial and understand the legal definitions of those words, you will see that it is not considered false or misleading.

Indeed, I knew the first time I saw it that the tone of the commercial was to the intent that 'overdue' meant 'a few days overdue'. If they allowed movies to be indefinitely overdue, people would just keep them rather than return them and very soon Blockbuster would have no inventory left!

An interesting thing about the law is that much of it is unspoken yet commonly understood. Because of this, should the matter ever go to a court, some judges can legally hold the plaintiff guilty of willful stupidity and wasting of the courts time.

��

[edit on 6-1-2005 by sozzledboot]

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
HAHA! tru..tru dat!

��

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I havn't seen a commercial from Blockbuster yet describing their new policy...I heard about it first from a friend that works there, and then later that week it was actually in the local news (Hey...not much goes on here in Tallahassee...lol) But they both clearly explained what the "catch" was....

But it only applies to certain stores....only corporate stores are applying this new method, whereas franchises have the option of applying it or sticking to their own, or previous methods....

Edit: I believe another factor they failed to mention in that section you've copied and pasted is that if you return the game or movie before 30 days, you only have to pay a much lesser "processing fee"....I really don't see what all the gripe is about...people simply don't like change, for better or worse...

[edit on 1/6/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

top topics

join