It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guess Who Are Sponsoring the COP21 Climate Summit? Fossil Fuel Corps!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This is just insane. So we have a meeting on what actions to take to combat Climate Change (whatever that means), and the main topics is how to lower CO2 emissions. Fine, I can go with that; wether you agree or not with the AGW dogma, I think we can all agree that pollution is bad. So in a way I looked upon the COP21 meeting with a favourable attitude, because maybe finally it'll give a push and encourage manufacturers to make electric cars and cheaper solar panels and stuff.

So it comes as a shock to me to discover the actual corporations which sponsor the meeting. Not cool at all.

Corporate Accountability released a revealing report on November 30. Dubbed “Fueling the Fire: The Corporate Sponsors Bankrolling COP21,” it shows that Engie, EDF, Suez Environment and BNP Paribas are responsible for more than 200 megatons of CO2 per year. These four firms are leading sponsors of COP21.

www.fairobserver.com...

What the heck??

According to the director of the report:

According to Patti Lynn, executive director of Corporate Accountability International, the decision to allow these firms to sponsor COP21 is “akin to hiring a fox to guard a hen house.”

I'd never thought I'd agree with a Warmer but for once I do. These fossil fuel corps hidden hands behind the meeting cannot be good news.

The main theory is that these corps will attempt to bend the talks into their favour, and be allowed special treatment. But I got another theory: profit. If they can convince people to feel bad about fossil fuel but make sure to propose no meaningful alternative, then they might get the go for the introduction of a tax on fossil fuels... or perhaps even the augmentation of the price in the name of "ecology".

This is just frustrating.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
plenty of blood $ to throw around!

free & solar energy FTW!

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The raping of mother earth continues, no doubt..

If only we didn't get what we deserve..

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I just read your topic but I was thinking about this 20 minutes before...if the real truth behind this Climate Deal was ever made people would still ignore it. I want to know how they are going to cap Volcano Emissions as they are the single most major effect-or of Co2 emissions and other nasty stuff like hydrogen sulfides and methanes.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: mazzroth

Yes, truth is, alot of natural phenomenons are contributing to the climate. But then, you cannot tax natural phenomenons...

But then, I think we still should stop polluting anyway, just to be sure. But all this is besides the point.

The point is, how come the sponsors of COP21 are some of the biggest polluters? Could it be that they are wolves in sheep's clothing - pretending to agree that CO2 is bad just so they can raise prices of fossil fuels (since they're also killing alternative energy)?

edit on 12-12-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Honestly? I'm more interested in how they think they will convince the developing nations, who will receive at minimum $100 Billion a year (yes it's not legally binding but it's taxpayer money so they will pay it), to spend that money on CO2 mitigation etc and not on pet projects for instance.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Yes, and "CO2 mitigation" is such a broad term. It can include any actions which have a remote link to CO2.

Basically, it's giving over 100 billions dollars to leaders in developing nations for purposes which are poorly defined. Could some members of the UN be tempted to influence policies in developing nations by feeding the nations' leaders with financial gain? There're a way all that could even work to fossil fuel corps advantages: "We're giving you billions of dollars if you let us place our drills in your country. Don't worry, it'll benefit CO2 mitigation because we'll be using a refining process which is less polluting than before... " Or even military: "We're giving you billions of dollars if you let us place a military base in your country. Don't worry, it'll benifit CO2 mitigation because we'll be attacking all those CO2-emitting bad guys at the other side of the border... "

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

A simple explanation to all of this: they know climate change is natural, cyclical and an unstoppable force of nature. It is like always folks! They have knowledge and control information, so the stupid ignorants that just believe them is like walking in the palm of their hands.

Not to say i dont hate fossil fuels.. Hell if people revolted in the times of Tesla, today would be a different world, with maybe no pollution at all. People had their chances to stop this # but like always, they prefer their kool aid.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Unfortunately many people on the GW side are totally clue-loose who sponsors global warming. If one realizes that most of the worlds power stations used coal, not owned by big oil, then you don't need a brain storm to realize why big oil sponsors GW, they want the world to convert to GAS which will result in massive profits for the big oil.

The cost of solar is far more expensive than coal so before thats even a possibility we have to rethink the building and maintenance of infrastructure which is currently built in concrete requiring enormous energy to produce. If we spend far more money on energy (and maintaining infrastructure etc) economies will remain negative eventually resulting in a greater depression.

I do believe in solar but realize that todays infrastructure and increasing birth rate was a direct result of cheap energy that once was cheaper than water to produce. Even a increase in cost of energy by 20% can have a dramatic effect on the worlds economy as a whole.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: mazzroth

Volcano Emissions as they are the single most major effect-or of Co2 emissions

No, they aren't that is absolutely false.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

You will experience another "shock" when reading this not so recent article:

The Lunatics Have Taken Over The Continent; Europe's Import Tariffs On Chinese Solar Cells - Forbes

It tell a lot on those cretins of the Church of Climatology...

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

To be fair, the companies which were imposed tariffs had broken conditions in their contract with Europe.

But I do get your general point.

new topics

top topics

join