It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a nuclear war actually happen or is that impossible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Could a nuclear war actually happen still or is that virtually impossible?? They must have more fail safes in place now my guess is? Or do they.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
Could a nuclear war actually happen still or is that virtually impossible?? They must have more fail safes in place now my guess is? Or do they.

To be honest...I'm surprised we have lasted this long with the shear number of nukes on the planet.

Either an accident or some madman will eventually set Armageddon in motion.

edit on 12-12-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Of course one could happen.

But I think in the upcoming World War 3, there will be little or no nuclear weapons used. It will primarily be a conventional war. Especially in Europe.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Moresby
Of course one could happen.

But I think in the upcoming World War 3, there will be little or no nuclear weapons used. It will primarily be a conventional war. Especially in Europe.

I see it a bit differently...

WW3, will start in the mid East with Israel setting off a nuke on one of their neighbors. Then all bets are off....

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

I think it is very...likely...at least a REAL possibility.

Business Insider

"What makes the B61-12 bomb the most dangerous nuclear weapon in America’s arsenal is its usability," Keck writes. "This usability derives from a combination of its accuracy and low-yield."

It may not be a new bomb but

In May 2010 the National Nuclear Security Administration asked Congress for $40 million to redesign the bomb to enable the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II to carry the weapon internally by 2017.

On 1 July 2015, the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) conducted the first of three flight tests of the B61-12 tail kit assembly.[33]

WIKI, of course

At least when it gets into the hands of our enemies, it is more accurate and less fallout for the rest of us!

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

It could and it most likely will one day but when one day is nobody knows , which is probably the way it will happen , we won't know until it happens.
It nearly happened in the 80s and nobody not in the need to know knew until years later.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Nukes were used on civilian populations first (us on Japan)

Mini nukes have become the new norm from big building demos (ie, etc 1,2_7) and depop (Afghan, Iraq, Libya, Syria.)

Where next??

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plantagenet
Mini nukes have become the new norm from big building demos (ie, etc 1,2_7) and depop (Afghan, Iraq, Libya, Syria.

Wow, any actual, you know, evidence?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Enrico Ferme states that whatever is not a statistical impossibility, is compulsory. That means, it bound to happen, next year, next week, month or 10 thousand years from now; but it WILL happen. It could happen tomorrow, next week or in five minutes. Feel that one. See the sword of Damocles above all our heads. We must not keep nuclear weapons. We must not wage war. We must cooperate with each other. We have to love each other or we will all perish
edit on 12-12-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: Edit

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: lavatrance

To be honest...I'm surprised we have lasted this long with the shear number of nukes on the planet.

Either an accident or some madman will eventually set Armageddon in motion.

Agreed.
It could happen in a number of different ways, and has almost happened accidentally several times.
It is only a matter of time before someone does something stupid that makes it happen.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I don`t think it will happen unless lil Kim does something stupid. I know it`s all jokes on him and all when he makes his threats but has anyone even noticed that he is a bit unstable to be playing with such things? After all he had all the people, including his uncle, that were holding him back killed already. So who is stopping him now in his fantasy to push the button one day? Corporations and even extremists...they all have an agenda and want land and fortune for themselves and they know they can`t capitalise on nuclear fallout. But Kim on the other hand thinks he is playing real time XboX game.

Just my 2 pennies...

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Ask those residing in Hiroshima and Nagasaki this question.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

no it will happen its the reason they made the nukes

cj6

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The reason I believe it will never happen is pretty simple. The ones who are in control need us. We are the cogs in the machine and without cogs the machine will stop working. Without us they have nobody to control. Without us they have nothing. Therefore they will not allow a nuclear war to occur. We don't need them but they damn sure need us.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: cj6

Until automation and AI renders us obsolete. We'll be pests to the immortals.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   

I think it extremely unlikely that there would ever be a full-on nuclear exchange. It would be like mankind committing suicide.

I could envisage a very limited exchange between two of the superpowers, or perhaps between India and Pakistan.

But the rest of the world would insist that it stop immediately; there would be such a groundswell of feeling anti nuclear weapons that they would all be consigned to the scrapyard in a heartbeat.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Op3nM1nd3d

this one well... just because... ha ha...

edit on 13-12-2015 by lavatrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Luckily, the way the global economy is intertwined, it makes nuclear war unlikely.

However, it is still perfectly possible.

Yes, we have a ballistic missile defense system.

However, it has never had a large scale test, so its effectiveness is hard to determine. Additionally, some potential enemies (like Russia) have developed missile technology with these defenses in mind (and use dummy warheads and other means to reduce the effectiveness).

Chances are, we'd still see many targets go up.

However, we are also wildly misinformed by the media. Growing up in the 80's, we were certain (because of the media) that such a war would a) destroy the planet, b) have no survivors, c) affect the entire nation and world, etc., etc.

It simply isn't true. Many rural areas of the US, even in a full attack, could remain unscathed, even by radiation. Thing is though, wars are fought for control of resources, so if you are going to destroy the resources....not a good plan.

I seriously doubt we'd see a full nuclear exchange during a modern war. A limited exchange though? An absolute possibility. With major urban centers, military targets, as the victim areas.

posted on Dec, 19 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
If you lived in a city that got nuked and somehow you survived, what would you need to do quickly to survive? Explain?

top topics

join