It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man utd, End of an era?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Ok I had to do this for those that appreciate football (soccer to some).

As many sports fans are aware, Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs in the world, both historically and financially.

Once sir alex ferguson left 3 years ago, the club has been in turmoil ever since. Their shares on the stock market are falling after failing to qualify for the champions league and are struggling to score a normal goal.

What does the future hold for man utd. They just lost to Bournemouth, and the fans are booing their manager and players on a consistent basis. They have one of the biggest kit sponsorship deals but without European football exposure, I can imagine the clauses will greatly reduce the income. Plus they are looking more than likely not to qualify in the top 4 this season.

As you can tell I am not a man utd fan. I am arsenal. I am getting alot of satisfaction from the demise of the once power house of football. To finally see man utd fans clutching at straws was worth the long wait.

So what does the future hold for Manchester United? If they don't make the top 4 this season they will be unable to attract the best footballers anymore, and the cycle of demise will continue.

Will it take another 3 years to rebuild? Will their shares plummet? Will they be able to compete in the premiership in the years to come? Will I ever be able to stop laughing?

If there are any man utd fans I will promise to be gentle. Hopefully some Europeans on ats at this time.

Please feel free to use man utd memes to help express you points. It's all part of the procesh!!
edit on 12-12-2015 by rossacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Oh how the mighty have fallen *chuckles*

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Scallywwagg
You sound like a liverpool fan.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Up the Arse.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Oh it gives me a chuckle every time they struggle.

But I will try to look at this from a neutral point of view as well. The rot was setting in whilst Ferguson was still at the club. Glazers being tight with the budget was one issue. When Scholes was pulled out of retirement it signalled something was not quite right. That lad was class but was it a sign that United would not compete for the very best players any more if they had to convince him to pull on the boots again.

Moyes was the man who was set up to fail so another manager could come in and turn it all around. However it hasn't quite worked out like that. The Premier League has also changed even in the last decade. The financially assisted clubs like Chelsea and Man City have squeezed the precious Champions League spots making it difficult for the more well established clubs to get in there. Not only that the TV money has meant lesser clubs can hang on to their star players and even attract real quality from abroad. It's a tough league to compete in compared to the likes of Spain, France and Germany where one or two clubs dominate all the time.

So Man United's illustrious history gives them a valuable brand name but it gives them no right to win matches. I doubt the slide will be catastrophic but we could see them becoming a top half club in the future rather than a top Premier League club.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman
I just can't see them making top 4 this year. (With chelsea lmao). That alone should set off a downward spiral. They are already feeling the affects when trying to recruit star players, no one wants to come anymore.

I'm not sure whether they will sack lvg now, especially after the Bournemouth result. Swansea are looking to hire Ryan giggs and man utd may sack lvg to protect Ryan giggs. Let's remember this is the club that said they are happy with lvg and don't want to hire pep, one of the greatest managers of his generation.

But don't forget guys...its a procesh. ..lmao.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent
Not the imagery I was looking for. Lol

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Its a bit like 'pool since they had their halcyon days of winning everything

The main problem is that to improve even a small percentage you have to spend more and more and the Glazers are not going to be spending 100 million on getting Ronny back or any of the other red tops silly stories we read every day

For most of us non Man Utd fans its a chance to gloat and rub some of that smugness back at them.

They're still a good side and doing well in the EPL but they've lost that fear so teams know they can go and have a go rather than just turn up and have a good training session while handing over the 3 points.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

If only I knew how to insert a picture on my phone. I would turn this thread into a man utd meme thread.

But you are right, teams are not afraid. If anything they are shocked that man utd don't attack and aren't a threat no longer, especially with LVGS starting 11 selections. He has young, and he doesn't play him. Says it all to me.

I like the lamp picture.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
As many sports fans are aware, Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs in the world, both historically and financially.

Manchester United fans like to pretend that they're always been one of the biggest clubs in the world. But it's simply not true.

Before the Premiership began at the end of 1992 the amount of league champions looked like this
# of titles - Club (Year last Won)
18 - Liverpool (1990)
10 - Arsenal (1991)
9 - Everton (1987)
7 - Aston Villa (1982)
7 - Manchester United (1967)

They were the equivalent of Newcastle United, big crowds, but never champions and not won the league in nearly 30 years. But then they found the genius that was Alex Ferguson. Then money came into the English game, and a global television audience to boot.

Alex Ferguson + Money = Manchester United being crowned champions in the first Premiership season. With this they were allowed to expand Old Trafford from 44,000 - 75,000.

They simply started winning right at the time of the Premier league gravy train. Especially when Sky basically wiped out all records of English football and started to act like football began in 1992. Like the league wasn't basically exactly the same since 1888. Just a different trophy, and a different name.

Everyone knew (UTd fans themselves) that when Alex Ferguson went, they would decline. And now with Chelsea and Man City backed by Russian and Aran oil money, we will not witness them dominate English football like they did between 1992-2012 ever again.

One thing that was great about Manchester United though, was that they had a strong British base. And they were entertaining to boot. They went about their business with class IMO. But with Fergie gone, all that went with it. Now they are throwing money around and are not looking long term.

edit on 12-12-2015 by Debunkology because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

Good!

I'm fed up of seeing everything in the World of Football revolve around Man. Utd. in fact I've been fed up with the Prem for a long time now as its always been the same clubs at the top pinching the best players from the rest. I'm happy to see some competition back in the Prem and I'm also happy to see West Ham above Chelsea after 16 games! West Ham should have beaten Man Utd last week and I can't wait to see us above them once we move into the Olympic Stadium (By 2020 we will be top 4/6 for many years to come)

I hope Leicester can surprise everyone and keep going till end of Season but it will be a tough ask.
edit on CSTSat, 12 Dec 2015 15:47:48 -06000000003103x048x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: Adding Text

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Debunkology

Most fans of the premiership know fine well they are just a small club in manchester but unfortunately they are one of the most supported clubs in the world.

If they carry on the path they are currently on, everyone will sell the shares and wipe millions/billions off the value of the brand that is Manchester United. This is what many fans have been looking forward to.

British talent is only there now to fulfil a quota , as many foreign coaches admit that the English game lacks technical ability. Teams like Bournemouth are a testiment to the abilities of English players.

But why find talent in your own backyard when you can buy an unproven 18 yr old costing over £36 mil.
His add ons of £7.2 mil extra if he scores 25 goals in 5 years highlights how little bargaining power Manchester United have in the transfer market and how much of a laughing stock they are with club presidents. If martial went arsenal he would not have broken the £20 mil mark.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
Hopefully they are the new Blackburn. I will actually allow arsenal to lose the title to them just for the good of the sport. Plus "the tinkerman" is one of the most likeable managers/person I have ever seen run a club.

Pizzas for everyone!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

British talent is only there now to fulfil a quota , as many foreign coaches admit that the English game lacks technical ability. Teams like Bournemouth are a testiment to the abilities of English players.

Not something I agree with. English teams dominated European football in the 70s and 80s when there was no foreigners in the English game. When United last won the Champions League in 2008, they won it with 7 out of 11 English players.

I also disgaree that Manchester United are a "small club".

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

The same thing happened when he left Aberdeen FC. We were unstoppable in the 80's (almost
), then when Lex left it all went downhill.
Alex Smith was ok, but only a shadow of Fergie and then when Willie Miller came, welll ...the less spoken about that the better. Love him or hate him, Alex Ferguson is one of the best managers in the world. I always held a secret hope he'd be the Scotland manager but it never happened.

Man U will be hard pushed to find another one like him, and I predict they'll bob about in the bottom half of the table for the next couple of years. It might do them some good though, especially if they start training up young local lads to play.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Small club was a joke. With regards with English football, I'm gonna assume that you are of middle age and remember the "glory days". Unfortunately the game isn't even recognisable now to what it was then and many players back then didn't have the speed, fitness or dexterity to last in today's game, especially with the tempo and professionalism required by today's standards. Only the true greats could adapt to football as it is today.

And back then they didn't win cos of their technical ability, it was the organisation and the English spirit that dominated the game back then. Nothing to do with technical ability whatsoever.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Alex Ferguson is one of the best managers in the world

Ferguson was no Brian Clough.

Ferguson's success was built on the £millions he had to spend an Manure.

Clough won 2 European Cups on a " shoe sting " budget.

Now he was one of the best managers in the world without a doubt.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Small club was a joke. With regards with English football, I'm gonna assume that you are of middle age and remember the "glory days". Unfortunately the game isn't even recognisable now to what it was then and many players back then didn't have the speed, fitness or dexterity to last in today's game, especially with the tempo and professionalism required by today's standards. Only the true greats could adapt to football as it is today.

I'm actually 30.

But what you say there actually contradicts yourself. Which is it? Technical ability or athleticism? the game in the modern era has improved in athleticism. Are you now suggesting that English players lack in athleticism? If so, that is the most bizzare statement one could make.

edit on 12-12-2015 by Debunkology because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Fergie was so good he helped inspire the euro Ryde cup team to success. He used his famous "Canadian geese" analogy and when they won the cup...long and behold... the geese flew over in a V formation. That and the children working kn the rockafellar construction sight. C ronaldo still remembers that picture vividly.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Alex Ferguson is one of the best managers in the world

Ferguson was no Brian Clough.

Ferguson's success was built on the £millions he had to spend an Manure.

Clough won 2 European Cups on a " shoe sting " budget.

Now he was one of the best managers in the world without a doubt.

To be fair to Fergie, he won it with "kids" remember? Neville brothers, Scholes, Butt, Beckham and Giggs. Also winning the scottish league with neither rangers or celtic is an achievement in itself

top topics

<<   2 >>

join