It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern New York.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
I think the most interesting things that were in NYC was hidden from the upper class because they were not part of it for the reasons you mentioned.

Maybe you should head down there as a majority of the people living and participating in their neighborhoods in the sections I mentioned are not upper class.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Sir I go there everyday and work all over the city. Alphabet City mostly is on the evening weekends. Ave D, is still sort of a "bad" neighborhood, and SoHo is mostly fashion and art snobs, with some good shopping.

I speak relative to the old days of New York City. You had to live it to understand what I am talking about. You may think what you see now is 'diverse' or whatever..

You earlier bemoaned that no one is out on the streets like they used to be and when I point out that, yes, they actually are you ignore that and claim it is only at certain times or that it is not all forspecially like it used to be.

New York now is light years ahead of where it was, there is more to see, do and experience then ever and they likelihood that you will get axe murdered while doing it are now relatively slim.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Lol, I bet it has cleaned up no end, but with that perhaps some sterility, too. I am seeing what you both are saying. That's part of it, too, for me, to appreciate the conflicts of modern identity.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

An apartment in alphabet city, like Ave A can cost you $3000 + for a one bedroom.

An apartment in SOHO you cannot touch.

(by Upper Class, I meant more like Upper Middle Class..)

Pretty much everyone living in Manhattan has to be Upper Middle Class at least. I meet girls making $100K+ living with roommates because they cannot afford their own apartment.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

I think i would prefer " Old " York.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

An apartment in alphabet city, like Ave A can cost you $3000 + for a one bedroom.

Here is a nice studio right across from Tompkins Square Park (which used to be a crack den) that I found in two minutes:

154 E 7th St

$2,150
Studio Available Now Source

An apartment in SOHO you cannot touch.

Yeah, okay. Here is one there:

302 Mott St

$2,295
Studio Available Now

Pretty much everyone living in Manhattan has to be Upper Middle Class at least. I meet girls making $100K+ living with roommates because they cannot afford their own apartment.

Then they are not looking hard enough because I just found two in no time.

edit on 12-12-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I love visiting NYC, but wouldn't want to live there. The cost of living is out of control. I spent a lot of time working there as a business traveler.

I typically do a week vacation and a few weekends in NYC every year. We usually look for the smaller boutique hotels and typically stay in the LES area away from the middle america Time Square tourists.

NYC is a very vibrant city. There is no other city like in the US. Not Chicago. Not San Fran. Not Boston. None. You can literally walk from Harlem down to Tribeca and you will not pass any "dead spots." Shops, restaurants, stores, cultural attractions, etc from the North all the way down to the southern tip. You cannot do that in any other city.

The other great thing is the subway system. Absolutely no need for a car.

It feels like the entire island of Manhattan has been gentrified. It isn't like it was in the 70s / 80s. However, I do understand why some people feel that era was more vibrant. You had true arts and diverse culture born out of love, not wealth. Now NYC feels like one big college town. Yes, there are the museums, art galleries, etc, but it isn't the same imho.

If I were making a few million a year, I'd live in NYC. Otherwise, it isn't worth it to me. I rather just visit.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Thanks for that. Yes we should all remember where the new one got its name from. Old York is very beautiful architecturally, surrounded by some beautiful country side. Never had time to stop there , but went through the city and was gobsmacked at the architecture.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Hahahaha! "Used to be a crack den" now it is Yuppy Ville and they having to pay through their noses in a different way (said in an Al Pacino high pitched tone).

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Thank you very much for that.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9
Hahahaha! "Used to be a crack den" now it is Yuppy Ville and they having to pay through their noses in a different way (said in an Al Pacino high pitched tone).

That park was a hell hole in the 80's. Now it is safe, clean and able to be used by residents without fear for their life.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Actually a lot of Brits have recently moved into New York City.. I guess to you guys it's cheaper. You might come here and feel like you never left.

I, on the other hand, was influenced by all the music and culture that came from the UK - the Smiths, Pink Floyd, The Clash and UK Punk rock (used to see plenty of mohawks in the Village back in the day), The Beatles, Douglas Adams, Benny Hill, Monty Python.. I was a big fan of UK culture

edit on 12-12-2015 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Actually a lot of Brits have recently moved into New York City.. I guess to you guys it's cheaper. You might come here and feel like you never left.

I, on the other hand, was influenced by all the music and culture that came from the UK - the Smiths, Pink Floyd, The Clash and UK Punk rock (used to see plenty of mohawks in the Village back in the day), The Beatles, Douglas Adams, Benny Hill, Monty Python.. I was a big fan of UK culture

London or New York is well out of my league. In the countryside there is no big money for most.

Yes, the Brits have got some great culture too. It is nice to have the cultural interchange like that. I really like talking with people from other nations. It is very refreshing, especially for a country yokel like me.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

No problem. It is a great city for a vacation. My wife and I already started planning for our week trip in the spring. I always tell people to try the areas like the LES, Nolita, Soho, Tribeca, etc Way more off the beaten path cultural things to do. The cool thing about NYC is that there is just so much stuff you can see and do.

You can hit the museums. You can visit Wall Street. There is a cool financial museum down on Wall Street that goes over the history of Wall Street. There is also sex museum that was very interesting. Of course, you have the broadway shows. Statue of liberty. World Trade Center memorial. The highline is also nice. Spend a lot of time in Union Square. Central Park. A lot of interesting things to see and do up in Harlem. Also going over the Brooklyn is fun. We love walking across the Brooklyn bridge. We did a really nice food tour of Brooklyn one year where we stopped a lot of ethnic restaurants for meals. If you love to shop, NYC has everything you could possibly want. Spend some time in Chinatown (find a place with good peking duck). Little Italy.

The other interesting thing is that celebs in NYC seem to act like normal people. It isn't unusual to see big celebs just walking down the street.

I know I am travel and food snob, but it just hurts my heart see people visiting a city like NYC and then going to Olive Garden in Time Square. WTF? One of the greatest cities on earth and you waste time going to chain restaurants found in every suburban hell hole all over the country?

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
When life is - lots of school, followed by lots of school, followed by lots of work - I don't think much culture can be had for those people. They have no life to begin with.

New York City back in the day had lots of artists, 'blue collar' types and immigrants can live in the city and you can get a pad for not too much and you didn't have to work your entire life away, or stress so much. I think that set a different mood and interesting times.. but not one without its problems.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I know I am travel and food snob, but it just hurts my heart see people visiting a city like NYC and then going to Olive Garden in Time Square. WTF? One of the greatest cities on earth and you waste time going to chain restaurants found in every suburban hell hole all over the country?

Times Square is probably the only place in Manhattan that I will not go, it is like Disneyworld with tall buildings. Christ, they even have an M&M store there.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Ever watch this movie?

The Wanderers (1979)

Takes place in the Bronx..

(Prob better clips out there.)

Some other NYC shows.. Taxi, Welcome back Carter.. gives you some idea of NYC back in the days.. well maybe

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

I saw it many years ago. I will watch it again. Thanks for that. Yes, I love the old "Taxi" series. I like "Cheers", too

There is a ship that sails (well propels) from Southampton, UK and goes across the ocean all the way to New York. It takes seven days. I have always wanted to go the way of the old immigrants across the ocean like that. The ship is called the Queen Mary 2. What a thrill that would be, very romantic, me and my acoustic guitar over the ocean to check out NYC and get to see where the folk music used to be played and all the other goodies.

What an epic voyage that would be there and back. Land ahoy!

Queen Mary 2, New York
edit on 12-12-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Is it really like a scene from a movie of his? Hmm, interesting. And very true, modern media loves New York. I feel, maybe you shouldn't come. That way the vibe survives.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join