It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antikythera !! Any research ??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   

by Blackguard
It was not due to war, but a mob of Christian zealots that killed the Head of the Library, Hypatia, and burned the library, in 412.

Sorry for being ingnorant, this is not my specialty. But I thought there were actually several fires, like seven or eight over the period. I believe they were set by different groups? I might checkout the book your siting. But yes, the Christians did go on a spree to wipe out science. The Catholic church had suppressed scientific discovery throughout the middle ages.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I thought that the libraray was burned by Muslims when they first conquered the region.

The antikythera is an example of how clever the greeks could be if they had the time and inclanation. However the total lack of any other similar finds suggests that this wasnt very often.

To build one of these machines would take many, many hours, so only the very rich could actually afford to build them as simple toolmakers and such would not make enough money to support themselves while building one.

The greeks could build these things, but not often as they were too expensive.

All the info here came from a TV show on BBC 2 last thursday called 'What the Greeks did for us' Great series, should be watched by everyone here, all the achievements of ancient races could be carried out using the technology of the era.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join