It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Hyper-sensitive laser camera sees around corners in real time

page: 1

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 06:56 AM
I stumbled upon this neat invention a moment ago, and figured I'd share it with you!

You never know what’s around the corner — unless you happen to have a super-advanced camera designed by researchers at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland. This device has been designed to take extremely sensitive photographs that can detect the minute reflected lights from objects not in its field of vision. The result is a camera that sees around corners, and it works in real time.

The single-photon avalanche diode (SPAD) camera relies upon a type of echo mapping. You can think of it a little like radar, but with light. This part isn’t anything new — other projects have managed to do similar things. However, this camera is so sensitive that it can capture a photo every second. Therefore, you can watch an object move with the SPAD camera even when it’s technically out of sight.

I can see a lot of very possible uses for this technology, and am excited to see how much further it develops over time. When I was watching the video above, I couldn't help but think how useful it could be if it were used in surveillance, and helping to track a criminal's whereabouts, even if they are out of the conventional view of a camera. Of course, it will be a while before the technology could be integrated in such a way, but a neat and useful concept nonetheless.

Hope you enjoyed!
edit on 12/12/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 07:28 AM
But what they actually mean is "we hope the military contacts us" because we can let them see around corners in the field...
But what I noticed is it has to struck an object near to the hiding object ..
edit on 0b41America/ChicagoSat, 12 Dec 2015 07:31:41 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoSat, 12 Dec 2015 07:31:41 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:25 AM
Holy €rap!!! Did she say, 20 billion frames per second? Think of the changes that this could do for mitary and law enforcement! !!

Brilliant! !!!

Nice find Ghost! !!

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 08:15 AM

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

(post by jasonblake removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics