It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guncontrolism: A pathology of the weak and fearful.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

The problem in your logic is who gets to decide who is allowed and who is not? Some who like me in the federal services want me to be armed. Others want only those who are obedient to their agenda to be armed and the rest of us disarmed. The powers the administration is currently seeking are alarming to many of us because they want the power to disarm who they wish when they wish in secret without review by anyone but the administration. That is what is currently at stake. Highly trained patriotic Americans are being disarmed, locked away, or killed by a power crazed administration determined to disarm their potential future opponents.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

In reality, your more likely to walk outside and get taken out by a drunk driver... So why even bother leaving the house, if your that fanatical and afraid of 'what could happen'?

This reminds me of one of my mentors, Michael Echanis. He was a security contractor in Nicaragua back in the mid 70's. I learned Hwarangdo from him. Total bad a$$, totally prepared for anything. He blew himself up tossing grenades at the Sandinista out the window of a small plane belonging to their national guards. Dropped a live grenade in his plane and blew himself out of the sky. No Ninja training prepared him for his own screw up.

edit on 12am2015-12-12T01:15:21-06:00011512America/Chicago151231 by machineintelligence because: errata

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
This is hilarious..

So the coward is the person who can function in society and life without a weapon and not the people who see the boogeyman around every corner?

How does that work..

Again this is hilarious, I need to tell the people this
"turns out the real cowards are the ones who don't need a gun to feel safe" I will wait until they stop laughing then explain your premise...

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn

"Trained, practiced and competent" gun owners.

This. I am COMPLETELY in support of this. That's fine. The issue is when irresponsible yahoos get guns and dreams of glory, and accidentally shoot a seven year old girl, or try to stop some guy's truck from getting stolen and accidentally shoot the owner.

Maybe I'm incorrect, but I get the impression that to go along with the "everyone gets a gun" thing, you lose some of the respect they require.

Exactly. I don't think many of the "I want to open carry anywhere and everywhere" crowd understands that they do their cause a disservice by going too far to the extreme. Most people understand valid reasons for carrying a gun sometimes. They also understand the idea of home protection and hunting with guns too. What they don't and never will understand is why some jackass needs a gun while grocery shopping, at a bar, at a playground, etc.

Somebody wants a gun and is trained and sober and not using it like a damn toy and things are usually ok. But we have gun nuts wanting to prove some kind of point that want to walk around with a semi-auto rifle down the sidewalk or around some school yard as if this is Cambodia or something and that's when people get pissed off.

I don't mind guns. Hell, I like guns. What I don't like is some hillbilly, gun nut that I'm not sure if he's suffering from shell shock tromping around the local elementary school with an uzi because he wants to show the world that he's armed to the teeth like we're living in an action movie. Doofus is going to trip on his shoelace and shoot some kid on recess or blow off his toe while digging in his pocket for some chew and then the rest of society has to lose their sh*t again.

If you want to carry a gun, fine. But do it covertly, quietly, while sober, without a round in the chamber and have more than just a few hours of training with the thing! Then it's a win win for everyone. People get to have their guns and everyone else get's to have their peace of mind.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

I guess he never heard anyone say, "It's all fun and games until you drop a live grenade in your own plane." You know the last thing he thought when he realized what was about to happen was, "Oh man, now this is really going to make me look stupid."

That sucks.

But it goes to show that even highly trained people have accidents and accidents involving weapons can be very bad.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: forkedtongue

Indiana may have only an average gun murder rate, but its the 18th worst state for over all gun deaths (accidental shootings, suicides, ect.)... The more guns in society, the more likely you are to die from a gun... just saying.

Death by gun: Top 20 states with highest rate

But if owning a heap of guns keeps the "weak and fearful" from being irrationally paranoid that someones coming to rob, murder or rape them... then more power to ya.

In reality, your more likely to walk outside and get taken out by a drunk driver... So why even bother leaving the house, if your that fanatical and afraid of 'what could happen'?

ya.....about those statistics.

If we didn't have south Chicago wrapping around lake Michigan into northern Indiana those would be much much lower.

And adding suicides is disengenuous.

Because our suicide rate with guns is about average with most of the civilised world, actually lower than a lot of places with very strong gun laws.

Unless you think suicide by gun is somehow more suicided?

Folks that want to die will find a way.

Why do you always demand it is fear?

Do you project your own fear onto others, assuming they think like you?

It is a very common thing, as k any psychologist.

Because fear doesn't compel me.

I am not terrified I will get aids, but I still use condoms

I am not terrified I will die in a house fire, but I have smoke detectors

I am not terrified I will die in a car crash but I wear a seat belt while in a car

I am not scared I will need to cut somthing, but I carry a pocket knife.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

It is prudent planning.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
The truth is that most gun owners will never use them on another person. Guns are out there, they always will be. Even the "wild west" was not a lawless free for all that the movies would like you to think it was. Guns are there for hunting, and to (God forbid) allow us to rise up as a whole to defend ourselves from our government should they become more tyrannical than we can tolerate. Me personally, I carry a gun everywhere I go (why have it if you won't carry it)...I hope I never need to use it, but I will if I have to. People have this idea that every gun owner wants to be a one person army against hordes of enemies... The reality is my gun is there not for any time there is a crime, but rather that one time where my family is in danger and it makes sense to use it...that one time where it is my life or theirs. There is nothing wrong with not carrying a gun or even not owning one if you don't feel comfortable with them. There is also nothing wrong with being a responsible gun owner...as for me I understand that there are bad people out there, and they don't care about gun control laws, or any laws for that matter. I pray I never have to use my guns against them...but if I must, I am ready.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   

edit on 31America/ChicagoSat, 12 Dec 2015 01:58:28 -0600Sat, 12 Dec 2015 01:58:28 -060015122015-12-12T01:58:28-06:00100000058 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Exactly. I suppose that we all hold both of those archtypes in ourselves. Maybe those who come to the realization that they are not the hero of the show, accept the role of being the saved. While those who never come to realize this continue on in the hero fantasy. Interesting. hmmm.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: forkedtongue

ya.....about those statistics.

If we didn't have south Chicago wrapping around lake Michigan into northern Indiana those would be much much lower.

Is that why Illinois doesn't even make the top 20 for overall gun deaths? Are you claiming Indiana is taking a large chunk of there gun death stats?

And adding suicides is disengenuous.

Because our suicide rate with guns is about average with most of the civilised world, actually lower than a lot of places with very strong gun laws.

Unless you think suicide by gun is somehow more suicided?

True, the US as a whole doesn't have an abnormally high suicide rate, by international standards... But lets look at the comment for the state that made number one for the most gun related deaths in the US.

1. Alaska
Death by firearm per 100,000 population: 19.8

No permit required for purchase of a firearm.

In Alaska, suicide was the leading cause of gun deaths, with it being the main factor in more than 80% of all firearm deaths. John Roman, senior fellow at the Urban Institute, an economic and social policy think tank told USA Today that states with the highest rates of suicide also usually had the strongest culture of gun ownership. "There are many more suicides in places where it's easy to get a gun," he said.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: elsafam357
Guns are there for hunting, and to (God forbid) allow us to rise up as a whole to defend ourselves from our government should they become more tyrannical than we can tolerate. Me personally, I carry a gun everywhere I go

So you wouldn't dream of using your gun against people .
But the Government's different somehow?
Paranoid much?
The government isn't hunting you , or your banjo .

Guns are for hunting ....and you carry it everywhere...
so what do you hunt at the supermarket ?
Tyrannical governments ?

Get yourself a mirror and look into it .
Delusional,paranoid,sociopathic ?.
You're a nervous wreck.

Your country needs to eliminate gangs and drugs .
In that order .

And this thread needs to go to RANT .

edit on 12-12-2015 by radarloveguy because: xxx

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Wow. No. I don't want guns in this country and it has nothing to do with your asinine assumptions.
I'd also not like to have anyone who belives guns are a right to be in this country.

Kindly # yourself to death please.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Firstly, guns are ranged weapons. They work best when you have distance between combatants and time to prepare the gun for firing.

In close combat, someone trained in physical self defense has the upper hand over someone with a gun. Fists, hands, fingernails, elbows, knees and feet do not need to be loaded, deployed/un-holstered, un-'safetied', aimed and steadied.

In close combat between someone armed with a knife and someone armed with a gun, I would expect the assailant with the knife to have the advantage.

Most people would be safer and better off by not identifying themselves as a combatant (which a gun does quite loudly) and by seeking to avoid confrontation and danger. It may appear weak and fearful but it gives the best survivability.

Many of the best trained and most dangerous of combatants will choose to avoid confrontation as their first and best option.

edit on 12/12/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: radarloveguy

Actually, the drug war is a massive failure and in-part responsible for the country's current terrible condition. I'm fine with people having their weapons at home, but anyone who thinks it's necessary to open carry a rifle into safeway, or a park, probably shouldn't be allowed to have that weapon in the first place.

If they're worried about terrorists or whatever flavor of the week fear the government is conjuring, they should have a concealed pistol at most. If they're worried about the government imposing martial law, they're completely f***ed regardless. We are beyond the age where a rifle is enough to secure freedom. It was like that when the constitution was written. Now, no longer.
edit on 12/12/2015 by Eilasvaleleyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   

sputniknews.com...

Sheriffs in states such as New York, Florida, and Arizona have also put out calls for people to arm themselves for protection from terrorists or active shooters.

Last week, the FBI reportedly received a record number of background checks for people applying to become first time gun owners.

Read more: sputniknews.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: radarloveguy

originally posted by: elsafam357
Guns are there for hunting, and to (God forbid) allow us to rise up as a whole to defend ourselves from our government should they become more tyrannical than we can tolerate. Me personally, I carry a gun everywhere I go

So you wouldn't dream of using your gun against people .
But the Government's different somehow?
Paranoid much?
The government isn't hunting you , or your banjo .

Guns are for hunting ....and you carry it everywhere...
so what do you hunt at the supermarket ?
Tyrannical governments ?

Get yourself a mirror and look into it .
Delusional,paranoid,sociopathic ?.
You're a nervous wreck.

Your country needs to eliminate gangs and drugs .
In that order .

And this thread needs to go to RANT .

naw....about a 9 on the tension level, there

I love you and would never shoot anyone....I'd lay down my life.....vet, but we are not unencumbered by the logical thought process

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Wow you did a great job at reeling in the people who love being victims.

There are so many people who want to cringe in the corner while their family is raped and killed.
The caring, loving people who would not protect themselves or others.
It seems like they love it when women are raped and killed. They think it is unmanly for a woman to shoot and kill a rapist.
I will never understand the victim-nuts. They are so afraid of not being killed. It is crazy.
They might even be a survivor-phobe

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: miconATSrender
Wow you did a great job at reeling in the people who love being victims.

There are so many people who want to cringe in the corner while their family is raped and killed.
The caring, loving people who would not protect themselves or others.
It seems like they love it when women are raped and killed. They think it is unmanly for a woman to shoot and kill a rapist.
I will never understand the victim-nuts. They are so afraid of not being killed. It is crazy.
They might even be a survivor-phobe

WTF??? Is that sarcasm??? I can't tell sometimes around here. I keep saying we need a sarcasm font or something.

But you don't honestly believe anything you just wrote do you???

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: forkedtongue

BS, those drones have to land, here, in America, where they are very vulnerable .

There are millions of us vets that know where the stockpiles of weapons and weapons systems are located.

And if the gov turned on the people they wouldn't be able to guard half of it.

We would soon have the exact same toys as them, and we know how to use it too.

The fight would be much more fair than you think.

You are correct. No way can they even conceive of the real fight.
And they think everyone stores all their personal weapons in their homes.
They also think that people stockpile for only themselves. Not thinking that they will be doled out. Not to those that are listed as anti-gun though. They can cower in the corner they built for themselves.
I would need to force myself to even try to have sympathy for them. the anti-gun, corner cringers that is.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: miconATSrender

I can most certainly conceive of the real fight. The real fight is being fought - right now - and it's being lost while gun nuts worry about their guns being stolen. The fourth amendment is being shredded, the TPP is slipping by . I support the constitution - yes, the whole thing - but I do not respect the people who only acknowledge and care about the second amendment.

If the situation is that a person wants a gun so they may protect their right to have a gun, it is not a good situation. If a person wishes to have a gun to protect themselves against a potential tyrannical government, they are delusional, but that is understandable. If they want a gun for home defense or hunting, I am fine with that.
edit on 12/12/2015 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join