It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Director Apparently Doesn’t Know How Buying a Gun on the Internet Works

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I'm sure he knew that. I think the question wasn't specific enough.

You can buy a gun privately online and have it shipped to your house.

You can buy guns on craigslist too directly from people and pick them up at the I houses.

There's multiple answers to the question.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
I'm sure he knew that. I think the question wasn't specific enough.

You can buy a gun privately online and have it shipped to your house.

You can buy guns on craigslist too directly from people and pick them up at the I houses.

There's multiple answers to the question.

You cannot buy guns on craigslist , unless you're talking about nerf, tattoo, or screw GUNS...no firearms on craigslist. You can arrange private sales on Armslist, but not delivered to your house. If you disagree, please show an example.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111
a reply to: harvestdog

He knows that's not how it works, but if he pretends that might be the way it works, it's better for the push to ban rifles. If people see the FBI director say that you might be able to buy guns on Amazon, it's scarier. That's the game being played.

Thats why he's pretending, imo. Doesn't want to rock the agenda to push fear about gun purchases. More fear, the easier it is to push more gun legislation.

The war on guns is kind of like the war on terror in that regard.

Edit: I.e., the more terror-fied everyone is, the easier it is to make war overseas.
edit on 12-12-2015 by intrptr because: edit:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
You people gots to realize that Comey is a figurehead. He has whored himself up through the ranks and prostituted his family and screwed friends to get to the level he is. This goes as well for all the administration heads - all the secretaries, and the appointed men and women over NSA, CIA, Army, Navy and so on. The president appoints these people so they will kiss his ass and take crap for him. THE GOOD PEOPLE THAT RUN THE ADMINISTRATIONS UNDER THESE IDIOTS SUFFER FOR IT.

I doubt the three men behind Comey will be there next week.

Politics as usual...

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Gun sales are not allowed on craigslist. However, there are many gun buy-sell-trade groups on facebook which are set up for individuals to meet in person and buy or swap weapons. It is still illegal to sell a firearm to an individual who is not permitted to own one though and that responsibility is on the seller to check up on. Anyone caught selling a weapon to a felon is commiting a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison. Also, gun show parking lots are a good way to get a weapon without showing any ID.

I am a firearm enthusiast myself. I am generally against any kind of new gun control laws being passed. However, i know people who own guns, that are not allowed to own guns. I also know people who are allowed to own guns, who prob should not be allowed to own guns. In my experience, i have been sold many pistols and rifles without even so much as a bill of sale, so i know exactly how easy it is to obtain them with no questions asked.
edit on 12-12-2015 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: boncho

originally posted by: intrptr

He's either real ignorant or pretending.

No matter where you purchase a firearm, you have to pick it up at a FFL holders place of business.

You sure about that?

uyers can contact sellers via phone or email to set up the sale, and avoid going through a federal background check or even leaving a paper trail. Such transactions are more anonymous than purchasing a weapon at a gun show, where people who can’t pass a background check can buy large quantities of guns.

Armslist quickly took off. By 2011, it was one of the largest online gun sites in the country, with more than 13,000

www.motherjones.com...

Mother Jones is a horrible source. Any out of state purchase on armslist requires an FFL.

Washington Post then?

3) But there's also a third option. I can check out an ad posted online by a private seller and then meet up to buy the gun in person. (There may also be some situations in which the gun could be mailed within the same state, though not handguns.) That would be a private sale and federal law wouldn't require a background check — although some states would. California and Rhode Island require background checks for all private sales, while 12 states mandate checks for private handgun sales.

They specifically state in "1" and "2" the other quoted information that everyone is focusing on. That online sales have to go through a FFL holders, around 130,000 in the country. However, I think the current push, is the same as a former push, which is to change it so all private sales are done through FFL holders.

Which removes the 'gun show' loophole. Essentially if you wanted to sell a gun, to whoever, private sales would have to be overseen or finalized by the FFL holder. Just like how the others are.

www.washingtonpost.com...

So what about regulations? Earlier this year, the Manchin-Toomey gun bill in the Senate proposed to extend federal background check rules to all sales facilitated by the Internet — not just interstate sales. If I saw an ad online and went to go buy a gun from a private seller, then we'd both be required to go to a federally licensed dealer, who would conduct the background check and complete the transaction.

Whether you agree with it or not, the whole discussion from what I can gather is pertaining to the same thing already brought up and failed to pass previously in the Machin-Toomey bill. That's all Im pointing out.

It's just a circle jerk of everyone saying 'har har look how dumb all these people are' while ignoring the actual content of the other sides of the argument.

There's a short clip and we don't know exactly what was said before that. Comey should know the answer to the question posed, but we also don't have the full context of the question asked. Having the full context may not change a thing, but...

The hearing I believe was on how the San Bernadino couple acquired their guns, and it seems they did so in a private sale, or at least acquiring them from their neighbour in some manner.
edit on 12-12-2015 by boncho because: (no reason given)

My point was given the short context, for all we know he already answered that regular online sales are facilitated by FFL holders, but then they asked what about private online sales, and then he stumbles. Maybe it wasn't that, but it could be, which is why people should make reactions on a 30 second clip without full context.
edit on 12-12-2015 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: boncho

Visit the link. At the bottom is the full almost 3 hour c-span video. Watch the whole thing, or start around 47 minutes for Graham's questioning.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Bahahaha, what you're all shocked? Have you ever had jobs? Bosses?

He's probably never fired a gun, arrested, or investigated anything.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Yes, because people with a criminal record are going to obey any law in place now, or future laws that the anti crowd wants in place. Let's keep placing laws on the citizens who can and do legally own guns and not focus on the criminal aspect of obtaining guns.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Why bother buying one?

You can BUILD an SMG (sub machine gun) in you garage from plans from the internet OR you local Library.

The Sten was designed in WW2 to be built with standard tools found in a bicycle repair shop and is FULL automatic. (ASK if you need to know what that means.) There are also some newer designs that use pipes from a standard plumbing or machine shop.

WARNING:
Of course if you DO build one of these WITHOUT the right ATF form your going to jail. (I forget which one it is. For building EXPERIMENTAL weapons, because you can't build one for normal sell or use.)

That's the issue about this. If you plan on breaking a law anyway why would breaking this law, or any other one, be an issue?

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
So...I do believe we're dealing with METRO men.....let's check their petticure

Uh you're getting flags and stars because you related an FBI director to metro-sexuals and implied he was gay or effeminate?

I think you should have this post flagged by ATS moderators and not starred.

Some of the nastiest shooters had 'alternate lifestyles', btw. Some of the most macho soldiers and G-men were kind and considerate people. Shame on you.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: boncho
Washington Post then?

That doesn't have any of the ridiculousness of MJ.

There may also be some situations in which the gun could be mailed within the same state, though not handguns.

That echoes what I said. That is not at all the impression MJ leaves you with.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   
To be fair people ship all sorts of things by FedEx including guns, but there are specific rules and if you are shipping a shotgun to yourself so you can move house it's not actually required that you use an FFL.

Bad guys and criminals also ship firearms and all sorts of stuff by the US mail, or FedEx or UPS but a majority (but not all) are found and confiscated.

You can also ship printed parts which won't show up on x-rays or inspections but those are illegal.

Point is you can't buy them from someone else online or in private sales and have them shipped, LEGALLY.

But I could go over to the house of an immediate family member and have them give or sell me a firearm, (in my state) and drive it home, or just put it in a holster openly-carried. I can't go to a gun show and buy it for someone else who is not allowed to have a firearm (due to age or other disqualification) but my wife can buy ME a firearm as long as it's legal for me to own one.

A straw purchase is illegal but it's carefully defined.

However none of this can prevent a terrorist cell from putting a bunch of black guns in someone's trunk at night and them driving off with them. None of these 'laws' can prevent 'gun running', and in fact the gubmint actually SPONSORED gun-running in Operation Fast and Furious so you'd expect the head of the group that had agents working on this plan should be intimately familiar with al the ways it is done, legal or illegal.

From Wiki on F&F

According to internal ATF documents, the operation was initially run in conjunction with the Phoenix DEA Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (OCDETF).[44] On January 26, 2010, ATF formally applied to the Justice Department in Washington for funding through the OCDETF program. When it won approval and received additional funding, Operation Fast and Furious was reorganized as a Strike Force that included agents from ATF, FBI, DEA, and the ICE component of the Department of Homeland Security, which would be run through the U.S. Attorney's office rather than the ATF. This new Strike Force designation allowed the operation to take advantage of sophisticated surveillance techniques such as federal wiretaps, which would require court orders and interaction from Justice Department officials in Washington, D.C. since federal law requires certain individuals to review evidence and certify the necessity of such techniques

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I thought that when you order a gun online you send it to an address that might get burned without leaving traces directly to you.

Same as ordering dope online.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: dismanrc

That's the issue about this. If you plan on breaking a law anyway why would breaking this law, or any other one, be an issue?

Probably because ease of access. Gangs in lower Canadian states don't build their own guns (and Im aware of what an Automatic weapon is, and well aware of what you can build, my brother is a gunsmith and I was in competitive shooting as a kid), the thing is, the city and the country are two completely differently worlds. Brother lives in the rural areas, and was also where I grew up, and as a city dweller, I know have no use for guns like I did when I was younger.

In cities with gang violence, ease of access is the number 1 reason gangs are armed as well as they are. The main source for guns for most illegal arms in Canada is the US, simply because of lax gun control.

It's kind of ironic the illegal gun trade uses America to source weapons, over a supposedly secure border, rather than from its own country.

In reality, guns often make it into the wrong hands, despite good intentions. And it looks like a sizeable percentage of these guns can ultimately find their way across borders to Canada. In fact, the NRA's crude call for lax gun regulation actually makes it more likely that guns will end up in the hands of bad guys (and gals) on both sides of the border. Contrary to popular belief, it is not stolen guns that account for the majority of those used in crime. It is that firearms are purchased by intermediaries -- either dealers or friends -- and passed on to those that might not otherwise be able to legally obtain a one.

www.huffingtonpost.ca...

Canada scrapped its gun registry system a few years ago, a huge 2 Billion dollar boondoggle by the Liberal government. It was a massive failure. However, the other laws in place don't really seem to be. They include a really stringent licensing system. One that is so effective that criminals would rather import across a secured border than buy locally.

All guns are tracked to a certain degree when they are purchased, and to purchase them you need a firearms license. Having a license to purchase a gun, to me, is really no different than requiring one to own a car. Hell, if insurance was required I could even see the reason in it. So long as it protected the owner from the theft and liability as much as anyone injured by it, but the caveat would be that I don't trust the insurance industry to include this without screwing it up entirely.

Just because someone is in favour of reasonable gun control doesnt make them anti-gun, nor against the 2nd amendment. Or think that guns are inherently bad.

This is just political bias seeping through and clouding judgement on either side of the issue. There is only 1 issue, the 'sides' of the issue are manufactured.
edit on 14-12-2015 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
It was my understanding that the only weapons covered by this were HANDGUNS. I've bought and sold rifles and shotguns at flea markets.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone
Yes, because people with a criminal record are going to obey any law in place now, or future laws that the anti crowd wants in place. Let's keep placing laws on the citizens who can and do legally own guns and not focus on the criminal aspect of obtaining guns.

Why do we license vehicles? Why have any laws, criminals aren't going to obey them? /s
edit on 14-12-2015 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Yes, well, it's simply more convenient to have it shipped to you. And you can by-pass the background check by using the "internet loophole" Hillary talks about. This is a real high government official who gets paid a 6 figure salary in real money. I'm still looking for that "gun show loophole". Before I went to one, I thought I could get a gun there like buying a bottle of pop, because that's what they say on TV. It's distressing when the people who run the government don't know the laws.
a reply to: harvestdog

edit on 16-12-2015 by Parthin96 because: misspelled word

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
if you are going to buy a gun one thing to consider is debit or credit card transactions leave a data trail. I imagine those records would be subpoenaed in the event of gun confiscation legislation without a grand father clause. buy em with cash.

Yes . This means if guns are ever outlawed I will be an outlaw and will not have one whit of hesitation or regret about doing so. Evil laws are not worthy of being followed. Bad laws make good people into criminals.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join