It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northrop Releases 6th Generation Fighter Concept, Image

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
It is possible that the 6th gen fighter be in the futur an enhanced version of the F-35, I read somewhere on a report about a futur version of the F-35 the D , F-35 D, somebody know something about it ?
edit on 12-12-2015 by darksidius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

There is likely to be an F-35D. This would STILL be a 5th gen fighter. However, it'd use tech incorporated into the 6th gen.

Lasers for example. New sensors. New engine.

It would be like the 4th+ gen birds flying around now.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Oh man. This needs to be the ATS moto.

De omnibus dubitandum est

everything must be doubted

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Ok thanks for the answer, may be an enhanced F-35 will be great promise too.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
And suddenly, that third stream of the ADVENT engine becomes clear. I'm surprised no one on here came up with this idea yet. The biggest problem with a laser, is thermodynamics. Both the power supply for the aircraft, the power supply for the laser, and the laser itself generate a lot of heat. So much so that the heat accumulator built into the laser will prevent the system from firing until some heat is dissipated.

Enter ADVENT, or the next level, Vaate. Vaate, stands for Versatile Affordable Advanced Turbine Engine. Similar to the ADVENT engine, it will have a third bypass stream through the engine. That third stream will be used as a method of dissipating heat from those systems. There will be heat exchangers in the stream that will help to relieve that heat buildup.

aviationweek.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
The new engine surely will be the heart of the 6th gen fighter, in you ropinion when we will see a demonstrator of the 6th gen flying ?

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

They won't even drop the RFP until about 2018 so we're a long time from seeing it.
edit on 12/13/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
These are pretty weak for conceptual aircraft. They look like thrown up versions of past craft.
Are their inventors in skunk works following the " movie remake " trend?

I mean, what is up with humans in positions of ability and their creativity? They just don't have any, it's sad.

No wonder we don't do anything anymore, these people have lost their imaginations.

It's just more fixed wing nonsense, pretty sure we have those already, let's I dunno, improve, invent and innovate.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

These are pretty weak for conceptual aircraft. They look like thrown up versions of past craft.

This pretty much happens every time and they often plug into current trends. The LRS-B was successful and a current favorite of NG. So, Cranked kite. Lockheed is just throwing out an idea that looks like a cross between the YF-23 and defunct, ahem, assimilated MD's version of the joint strike fighter. Both popular ideas, but not what I'd expect in the future. Boeing has their own link.

A concept is NOT the final product. Contrast the F-22 and YF-23 with the Lockheed and Northrop concept art.

Are their inventors in skunk works following the " movie remake " trend?

That's not how the Skunk Works, well, works. Ditto for the Phantom Works and whatever the equivalent is for Northrop.

It's just more fixed wing nonsense

???

Care to explain?

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I was actually an F-16 / F-117 ( didn't work on the f117 but was still trained on them to a point, as it's was in our CDCs and aircraft group ) crew chief in the Air Force, I loved both the F-16 I worked on and the A-10 I trained on. However, the wings are both the number reason they even fly but also the big draw back coupled with machs and the human body.

I just think we need to not be using humans for air superiority, human controlled craft yes, but physically placing humans in terrestrial based craft limits the craft more than the human. At certain mach speeds humans can handle but get too high and even those pressurized suits aren't helpful, but nor are the wings at those speeds.

So why haven't we gotten rid of both, well it's those problems I'd expect to be solved rather than reinventing the wheel a couple dozen times before going, man this wheel, it's just not right for the job.

Progressive thinking rather than adaptive thinking, move forward not parallel.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

They're not even remotely close to being able to remove the pilot, or go faster than a pilot could handle. Even with black world tech there are some things we simply can't do yet.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Sat links can be jammed. Sats can be taken out. We're going to need a pilot for a while upon reflection.

An LRS-B with uber maneuverable, long range missiles would work just fine so long as it has something like a laser for self defense.

Actually, 'dog fighting' might be bouncing up above the horizon and down again to try to hit the other guy with a laser. Long range fights are with hypersonic missiles. That'd make an interesting fight.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The picture of the new design using high energy lasers is pretty cool...

But to be quite honest none of it is remotely new...

What is rather cool to me about this photo is that this is almost exactly what Kenneth Arnold saw way back in 1947 just before the Roswell incident...

Yes this is very close to the Roswell craft as well, only when the crash happened the craft was morphed into a different state so the nose was rounder and deeper looking more like an egg and the wing tips were elongated and swept upward at approx 33 degrees...

But none the less they were the same craft that crashed 2 of the nine Arnold saw...

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Lockheed is building it through Skunk Works. They don't talk about programs much.

good, and it's also good that guys here that know, don't talk about it either. would I like to know?...hell yeah, but it's always nice to have a few tricks up the old sleeve, that potential enemies don't have a clue about.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

There's a possible concept drawing of the Lockheed F/A-XX design, but absolutely no details other than a few possible ideas that have been tossed out through various talks.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Zaph:

What's the range for use of the F-35's cannon? Both A2A and A2G? I'm having a devil of a time googling it. :/

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

A little over two miles is the maximum effective range.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
And suddenly, that third stream of the ADVENT engine becomes clear. I'm surprised no one on here came up with this idea yet. The biggest problem with a laser, is thermodynamics. Both the power supply for the aircraft, the power supply for the laser, and the laser itself generate a lot of heat. So much so that the heat accumulator built into the laser will prevent the system from firing until some heat is dissipated.

Enter ADVENT, or the next level, Vaate. Vaate, stands for Versatile Affordable Advanced Turbine Engine. Similar to the ADVENT engine, it will have a third bypass stream through the engine. That third stream will be used as a method of dissipating heat from those systems. There will be heat exchangers in the stream that will help to relieve that heat buildup.

aviationweek.com...

Right, Sure...you just figured this out now. ;p

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Imperium Americana

I don't know what you're talking about.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

A couple more posts about the Northrop 6th gen. One is a rehash with the only bit of new news is Northrop has two teams working on the 6th gen. The other is an older link suggesting 6th gen fighters really ought to be something the size of LRS-B with drones. Both are between Breaking Defense.

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join