It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do if the electrical grid went down?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
a reply to: VincentVicious

yeah, I`ve wondered that too, how would you know?

It`s not like you could go on the internet and read about it, or turn on your radio or T.V. and hear about it or call the electric company.
I guess after a few days you would know something serious had happened but you wouldn`t know if it was just in your area or how big of an area was affected.

I sure wouldn`t want to be near a city when it happens,the country people will be ok for a couple of weeks at least because it will take that long for the people fleeing the cities to walk that far.
The nearest big city to me is about 150 miles away, so it will take some time for them to walk 150 miles.
I live on a little island of a few hundred people where everyone knows everyone, there`s only one road onto the island, so I reckon we could barricade the bridge to keep the riff raff out, and shoot anyone who tries to swim across.
the coast guard and the department of natural resources each have a boat here so they could patrol the waters to keep the "pirates" away.

The first thing you could try is starting your car. If it doesn't start, you'll know exactly what's up. Well, unless by coincidence your battery died. Make sure another car won't crank as well.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
Imagine life without electricity, cell phones, television, internet, technologically advanced medicine and machines in hospitals, etc.

Our key infrastructure, including the Internet and the power grid, is far more vulnerable than most people would dare to imagine. These days, most people simply take for granted that the lights will always be on and that the Internet will always function properly. But what if all that changed someday in the blink of an eye? According to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission’s latest report, all it would take to plunge the entire nation into darkness for more than a year would be to knock out a transformer manufacturer and just 9 of our 55,000 electrical substations on a really hot summer day. The reality of the matter is that our power grid is in desperate need of updating, and there is very little or no physical security at most of these substations. If terrorists, or saboteurs, or special operations forces wanted to take down our power grid, it would not be very difficult.

From what I understand, if we were hit with a large enough solar flare, or coronal mass ejection, it could do the same thing.

theeconomiccollapseblog.com...

A repeat of the 1859 Carrington Event would devastate the modern world if it were to happen today.

What would you do if we lost everything modern and had to live like we were back in the 19th century?

Edit: Great link shared on page 6.

d3uaxf08soql4q.cloudfront.net...

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinymind

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: olaru12

The elite will probably fare pretty well in their climate controlled bunkers...the rest of us will be SOL.

I'm not so sure

I've often wondered about life in those bunkers...good luck with that guys!

:-)

I'd like to fine one of the elite's bunkers and weld the darned door shut.
Then we could truely start over.

Lol, right??

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
After 42 days only those with skills, preparation, and luck would be alive. Ever watch Naked and Afraid series? Or Dual Survival? It's amazing some of the women are better at surviving than the men. The pioneers did it, so can we. Plow up the grass and plant crops in your yard. Some people would be so weak from starvation after a few days they would not be causing any trouble for anyone anywhere. Learn to eat insects. The ultimate worry is the nuclear power plants not being shut down causing radiation to spew forth. Look up how to turn the lawn mower into a generator, and how to build an out house. Save those seeds from your foods now. The Chinese might just hack our electrical grid. Who knows? Be smart and spend some time thinking about your families plan of action.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: LSU0408

I would be completely screwed, every skill I have is based on electronics. If there were no electricity for a year I would just have to deal with it but if it were a permanent thing I would jump infront of a train. I have no desire to live in the 19th century.

That's no way to look at it. People were much happier back then. The only drawback as far as being modern would be our technologically advanced medicine. I have a stockpile of extra strength Tylenol and BC Powder. But I'm not skilled enough to know about much else in the way of bodily ails.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Ride with the "Angels" and pillage what we want, Mad Max style....

Sounds good but it'd only get you killed in the long run.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluesman462002
a reply to: LSU0408
I would get a lot more done. LOL
I would be in the Dark for a few minutes looking
for my Flashlights.
Then I would just move on.
Been Prepared for this Event for Years.

I feel ya there. If batteries still work, I've got plenty of flashlights.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend
a reply to: redhorse

A very insightful post redhorse, thanks. I have started reading One Second After which paints a picture similar to what you describe. Clearly anyone wishing for end of world scenario doesn't really understand the pain and misery it will cause. It would be a kindness to die rather than witness such an event.

It's not that we're wishing for it, just that it would be better than all the shart we're dealing with today.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I don't care....

I'd rather live free, ride and die than cower in fear. It won't be some hippie communal, back to the land BS. It will be chaos, anarchy, blood and death everywhere; the living will envy the dead.
edit on 14-12-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Bunker down, lock and load. That's about it...

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I don't care....

I'd rather live free, ride and die than cower in fear. It won't be some hippie communal, back to the land BS. It will be chaos, anarchy, blood and death everywhere; the living will envy the dead.

You wouldn't have to cower in fear. A hippie communal wouldn't make it, they're too sissified and in love with trees. But back to the land, well that's your only chance at riding it out. Not rumbling around like Mad Max taking stuff. Lol

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Think of LA and so many cities like it. Food gone in 3 days, water in a week with millions. I give it a month and we are talking cannibals. The rest of us outside of the big cities will just group up and hunker down waiting for the masses to die off.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Signals
Bunker down, lock and load. That's about it...

I've been thinking about making an above ground bunker over the top of my back pond in case things ever hit the fan. You wouldn't see it from the road, and you'd have to wander up on it to see it in the woods, unless you were my next door neighbor.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
Think of LA and so many cities like it. Food gone in 3 days, water in a week with millions. I give it a month and we are talking cannibals. The rest of us outside of the big cities will just group up and hunker down waiting for the masses to die off.

It would be crazy, that's for sure... And even crazier is that as we sit here and talk about it, it could happen any day.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I work with a lot of prior military (heavy on the spec forces side) and our plan is to get all our food, guns, essentials etc and do a heavy weapon convoy to a few close locations that are basically a lot of land, livestock etc that some of us own.

No hippies there either....

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

It would be crazy, that's for sure... And even crazier is that as we sit here and talk about it, it could happen any day.

Just think if the grid in LA went down for 2 weeks...lol The average food store needs to restock every 3 days.

edit on 14-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I work with a lot of prior military (heavy on the spec forces side) and our plan is to get all our food, guns, essentials etc and do a heavy weapon convoy to a few close locations that are basically a lot of land, livestock etc that some of us own.

No hippies there either....

The hippies would crap where you sleep. I like your idea. My mom and dad live 5 houses down (roughly a mile) and my sister lives one street over and her property backs up to Lake Bistineau. The only thing we really lack is cows, a few of those would be nice.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Just think if the grid in LA went down for 2 weeks...lol The average food store needs to restock every 3 days.

They'd probably look like the rebel groups on the walking dead. I'd hate to be there if/when it happens though. Phew.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

The hippies would crap where you sleep. I like your idea. My mom and dad live 5 houses down (roughly a mile) and my sister lives one street over and her property backs up to Lake Bistineau. The only thing we really lack is cows, a few of those would be nice.

A few of my friends raise pasture feed cows just for slaughter. I typically get a 1/2 cow now and then when I need more meat, so we got cows and land for much more crops then what they do already. It would be about 20 families, but then we are also talking 20+ hard core fighters too. Wives not too bad either, I wouldn't want to be in my wife's sights at 100 yards.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

They'd probably look like the rebel groups on the walking dead. I'd hate to be there if/when it happens though. Phew.

My first experience with stores being empty was when I lived in San Antonio. A hurricane came up the Gulf and had a chance to San Antonio where it would be rather weak by then. The day they announced this might happen I went to the store and everything was sold out already, and people were panicking in an almost scary situation. I went home and filled up the bath tubs hoping nothing bad happen. Well that was a lesson for me and today I could not leave my house for 6 months if need be. If you do not already have what you need you will never get it if you do not want to battle a mob.

edit on 14-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join