It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do if the electrical grid went down?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
That be prity hard for me hear in vegas we got no only the dam but a ton of solar houses mine included but if something happen after the rice runs out and no power I'd go to the lake and fish ... it's not exactly a small lake lots of fish easy to catch and if that somehow failed canibal cookbook anyone

White rice is good, lasts 20 years and if you eat it regularly get like 8 50 pound bags and just rotate them. 400 pounds of dried rice will go a long time.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

The elite will probably fare pretty well in their climate controlled bunkers...the rest of us will be SOL.

I'm not so sure

I've often wondered about life in those bunkers...good luck with that guys!

:-)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose
The cars electronics would be fried, but think of the massive amount of batteries I could collect and add to my solar battery bank! Also the mass fuel supply that each car collectively would have.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: olaru12

The elite will probably fare pretty well in their climate controlled bunkers...the rest of us will be SOL.

I'm not so sure

I've often wondered about life in those bunkers...good luck with that guys!

:-)

I'd like to fine one of the elite's bunkers and weld the darned door shut.
Then we could truely start over.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Alchemst7

I think the best thing would be to plan long term. Enough with the gas guzzlers, this will be the prime opportunity to go "totally renewable".
In another OP, I suggested putting a "ribbon" of solar cells, ten miles wide all the way around the equator.
This would allow the sun to be shinning on some segments of the ribbon at any time. It would therefore generate as much electricity as the earh could use for many years to come. I know it would require a lot of time, money, and resourses, but once complete, the only cost would be maintainance for centuries to come.

This could well be the best long term investment mankind could make.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

I would be completely screwed, every skill I have is based on electronics. If there were no electricity for a year I would just have to deal with it but if it were a permanent thing I would jump infront of a train. I have no desire to live in the 19th century.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

What would you do if the electrical grid went down?
Ride with the "Angels" and pillage what we want, Mad Max style....
edit on 12-12-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I would get a lot more done. LOL
I would be in the Dark for a few minutes looking
for my Flashlights.
Then I would just move on.
Been Prepared for this Event for Years.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
My motor home has a generator and 100 gals of fuel.

A CME will not take it out. a massive grid hack attack will not take it out, a EMP attack might.
I also have a spare generator for the motor home stored in a grounded shipping container.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

I'd like to fine one of the elite's bunkers and weld the darned door shut. Then we could truely start over.

Just find their air vents and seal them shut.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: tinymind

I'd like to fine one of the elite's bunkers and weld the darned door shut. Then we could truely start over.

Just find their air vents and seal them shut.

I had thought of saying that, but I figured it would be mean.

I think the best idea would be to do both.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

A very insightful post redhorse, thanks. I have started reading One Second After which paints a picture similar to what you describe. Clearly anyone wishing for end of world scenario doesn't really understand the pain and misery it will cause. It would be a kindness to die rather than witness such an event.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Alchemst7

You and every other person near you.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
I would turn off the water and move to my self sustained, solar powerd cabin in the Tennessee wilderness.

Doesn't everyone plan ahead? If not, why not?

How long does it take to get there on foot or horseback for you? And how many cities do you have to pass through?

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Curious69

That's three times I've heard that. You can best believe I'll be reading it.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: alonzo730
I got through the ice storm of 1998 all right. Seventeen days with out power, in January. Used oil lamps and candles for light, a wood stove for heat. If the grid were to go down today, I'd manage pretty much the same as I did during the ice storm only this time I have a measure of stored food as well.

We went without power for 10 and 14 days in a mid 90's and late 90's ice storm. But I can remember my dad still getting up and going to work, and money was still good at local stores, etc. Not only would this scenario be 100 times different, but a lot has changed in 17 to 18 years. A whole lot.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: forkedtongue

Yeah I'm on the outskirts of a small town in Northwest Louisiana. Population out here is 800 and I've got land to hunt, ponds to fish, and a garden down the road. I guess my biggest thorn would be poachers or people trying to fish in my ponds. Only other problem I'd have is that my house can't pull a breeze if its foundation depended on it so I'd have to improvise.

This just cracks me up. People that are just a-waitin' for doomsday; practically salivating at the thought of civilization going off its rails, and they think that they are gonna just sit tight on the land that they are on and hunt and fish and watch their garden grow. Yeah, I know, you were smart enough to live "country" so you've got a chance. Please. If you are thinking that way... You don't. Not. A. Prayer.

There are over 320 million people in the U.S. and after a few days when the city populations begin to disperse and empty out into the countryside it will spiral into increasingly violent mayhem as people fight to survive. That first winter is going to be brutal, no matter where you are. They'll take your stuff. If you're lucky, they'll just turn you out instead of putting one in your head and your kids (if you've got 'em) so that their kids can eat instead of you and yours. If your neighbors aren't prepared they'll more than likely take your stuff too, if the roving bands of The Desperate don't get to you first that is.

I grew up country and I live country. I can raise livestock, shoot, hunt, fish, gut and process anything, ride and train horses, and I'm a fair hand at wilderness survival. None of that skill set, I mean none of it, amounts to much in the face of waves of desperate and violent human beings. If you do not have a solid capacity for and experience with violence, chances are you will hesitate when you shouldn't and you're done. Oh, I know... I don't know you, blah blah... Based on what you've already said I think you're screwed. It's good to be prepared, and down south and out of a city is a good spot to be in, but get your head around the rest or you don't stand a chance. Be prepared for the violence and be able to live on the move if you have to as well. Sitting tight may not be as valid an option as you think it is.

Not that it matters for me anyway, I am chronically ill and completely dependent upon civilization going on its merry way and producing the medication that I need for survival. If things hit the skids, I've got a year or so tops (if I can get my meds somehow), but probably less.

Yeah... Lol, and this just cracks me up...

If you're lucky, they'll just turn you out instead of putting one in your head and your kids (if you've got 'em) so that their kids can eat instead of you and yours.

If I'M the lucky one, those from the city that don't have anything, and aren't prepared, are gong to be the ones sparing my life. So according to you, they're going to eventually get hungry and just come take my land and possibly spare my life if I'm lucky. You're right, you don't know me blah blah blah...

That's like saying this year's World Series champ would beat this year's Super Bowl champ in a game of football. No, this isn't a game, but it's a good equivalency.

If anything, it'd be the decent city people coming through and asking for food, which they would get from me. Those that wanted to take things or demanded I hand over things would be the first ones to be shot.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: CallYourBluff

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: CallYourBluff

DANG! You'r town is even smaller than my town it sounds like... We've got two stores but they both take cards.

All shops in my village take cards.My point was after the cables were torn out the ability for all telecommunications was taken away.No connections to banks,phone,internet or the stores ability to supply data on what needed restocking.There was a plus side though.They replaced the cables with fiber optics.So I now have much faster internet.

Oh ok, I see... Man, I remember when our first store started taking credit cards. If you were on your way to work, you might as well not even stop, because as soon as your card was ran, you'd hear the dial up start. And if anyone was in front of you using their card, forget it. And I can remember this being just 5 years ago or less. I don't stop at that store much because it's always crowded, and way overpriced because we're so far out in the country. Gas is usually about 25 to 30 cents higher per gallon.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
a reply to: redhorseNo power= no gas stations open= no fuel. What are they going to do? Walk out to the country in the middle of winter? Sit tight in the country and you will be just fne, as the masses reliant on McDonalds fall like flies. How much fuel do most people have on hand? whatever is in their car at any given time, and maybe a half empty gallon gas can in the garage for thew lawn mower. Do the math. How far is that going to take you? 100 miles? My 4x4 holds probably 26 gallons, and is usually close to full. I also have 45 gallons preserved fuel on hand, not counting what is in the generators, chipper, and rototiller. Aint nobody going to have 75 gallons of gas to get out to the boonies to come rob you, except me, and Im not comming to rob you. Ill bring 1000 LBS of my own food if I come, and share with you

We're 25 to 30 miles east of Shreveport, but I highly doubt any of the whacko's are going to have the fuel to drive that far. The dangerous ones (thugs, gang bangers) will use most of their fuel rummaging and pillaging homes throughout the city. They wouldn't make it two weeks, and are too stupid to realize that there are abundances of food and water in the country. Then for once in the 21st century, I could be proud of the public education system for not teaching them a damn thing.

My immediate move before all else would be to go get my four boys from their mom's house in the city...

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: madenusa
d3uaxf08soql4q.cloudfront.net...

Great share. I'll add it to my opening post.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join