It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do if the electrical grid went down?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: CallYourBluff

DANG! You'r town is even smaller than my town it sounds like... We've got two stores but they both take cards.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408
I would turn off the water and move to my self sustained, solar powerd cabin in the Tennessee wilderness.

Doesn't everyone plan ahead? If not, why not?

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

If you want to read a scary book about not having electricity then read one second after by William R. Forstchen.
en.wikipedia.org...
It reads like a very realistic scenario, and its scary as hell.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Nothing wrong with preparing!

Yet I would suggest those who want to store years worth, versus weeks and months, no matter how much food/water/bullets, anyone has stored away, if the grid goes down on a permanent basis for years, how is all that stockpile going to stand up against the radiation of the Nuclear plants that go into melt down? Just Google "Nuclear Plants" in the country of your choice.........

When my teeth start to fall out and my skin starts to get open sores, I will choose that one bullet I got left before I think I am bad ass enough to survive that kind of death.

(post by SaintFrancisco removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
My house is basically a faraday sp? Cage. Ferrocement over wire cage with steel supports, lined with reflective insulation. I hope it works. The panels should be ok, but the inverter and monitors could be fried during a solar or magnetic event both are located inside. The batteries should be fine too.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Obviously as most humans are dependant on the grocery stores for their food, the food situation would change drastically.

Access to clean water would change for many.

By change, I mean the sources of these things would be different. Will there be enough for everyone in the effected area? If all humans effected by the lack of electricity worked together to ensure all had enough, this would eventually be a good thing. I would hope they would respond accordingly.

Instead of focusing on lack of resources, focus on what is already available, and react accordingly.

I rely very little on electricity. Lights (can be run by a small solar panel or replaced by candles, lamps), and charging of a laptop computer (which would be not needed without electricity). I use a laundry phicility, but as many humans around the world do, washing clothes by hand is not a difficult task.

So my day to day life aside from food and water would change little. I am most capable of gathering wild edible plants and fishing, of which there is an abundance of some types of fish (e.g. Asian carp). So starvation is not an issue. In your yard, there are most likely between 3-5 species of edible nnot only eat vegetation and you need animal protein, chickens can be fed with only grass and water and will produce eggs. If every household had 3-5 chickens this is an adequate supplement.

Most importantly: in the case of this happening, for YOU to prepare for it, do not inquire as to only, "what resources do I have to survive" but, what resources do I have and what skills do I have that can be helpful not only for my survival but in order to benefit all around me.

In the case of this happening, your neighbors will need your help, and you theirs. A good incentive to developed a good relationship with your surrounding area neighbors. Because without electricity, your job, your numbers in the electronic bank, your electric house, favorite TV shows, favorite news source, etc, this will no longer be what defines you as an perceives individual, so why should it now?

If you are on bad terms with your neighbors for trivial mishaps and petty disagreements you will have to begin building true friendship and neighbor once the chaos has begun. Why not now?

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I got through the ice storm of 1998 all right. Seventeen days with out power, in January. Used oil lamps and candles for light, a wood stove for heat. If the grid were to go down today, I'd manage pretty much the same as I did during the ice storm only this time I have a measure of stored food as well.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

The show Revolution covers this premise and aftermath.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: forkedtongue

Well im in the sticks so we would be alright.

Ditto. And I'm not afraid of the dark.

While I appreciate that electricity is pretty vital, I could last without it for a couple of weeks. Warm by my log fires and light by candles and the panicking townies as they set themselves alight while rediscovering FIRE.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: forkedtongue

Yeah I'm on the outskirts of a small town in Northwest Louisiana. Population out here is 800 and I've got land to hunt, ponds to fish, and a garden down the road. I guess my biggest thorn would be poachers or people trying to fish in my ponds. Only other problem I'd have is that my house can't pull a breeze if its foundation depended on it so I'd have to improvise.

This just cracks me up. People that are just a-waitin' for doomsday; practically salivating at the thought of civilization going off its rails, and they think that they are gonna just sit tight on the land that they are on and hunt and fish and watch their garden grow. Yeah, I know, you were smart enough to live "country" so you've got a chance. Please. If you are thinking that way... You don't. Not. A. Prayer.

There are over 320 million people in the U.S. and after a few days when the city populations begin to disperse and empty out into the countryside it will spiral into increasingly violent mayhem as people fight to survive. That first winter is going to be brutal, no matter where you are. They'll take your stuff. If you're lucky, they'll just turn you out instead of putting one in your head and your kids (if you've got 'em) so that their kids can eat instead of you and yours. If your neighbors aren't prepared they'll more than likely take your stuff too, if the roving bands of The Desperate don't get to you first that is.

I grew up country and I live country. I can raise livestock, shoot, hunt, fish, gut and process anything, ride and train horses, and I'm a fair hand at wilderness survival. None of that skill set, I mean none of it, amounts to much in the face of waves of desperate and violent human beings. If you do not have a solid capacity for and experience with violence, chances are you will hesitate when you shouldn't and you're done. Oh, I know... I don't know you, blah blah... Based on what you've already said I think you're screwed. It's good to be prepared, and down south and out of a city is a good spot to be in, but get your head around the rest or you don't stand a chance. Be prepared for the violence and be able to live on the move if you have to as well. Sitting tight may not be as valid an option as you think it is.

Not that it matters for me anyway, I am chronically ill and completely dependent upon civilization going on its merry way and producing the medication that I need for survival. If things hit the skids, I've got a year or so tops (if I can get my meds somehow), but probably less.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: CallYourBluff

DANG! You'r town is even smaller than my town it sounds like... We've got two stores but they both take cards.

All shops in my village take cards.My point was after the cables were torn out the ability for all telecommunications was taken away.No connections to banks,phone,internet or the stores ability to supply data on what needed restocking.There was a plus side though.They replaced the cables with fiber optics.So I now have much faster internet.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorseNo power= no gas stations open= no fuel. What are they going to do? Walk out to the country in the middle of winter? Sit tight in the country and you will be just fne, as the masses reliant on McDonalds fall like flies. How much fuel do most people have on hand? whatever is in their car at any given time, and maybe a half empty gallon gas can in the garage for thew lawn mower. Do the math. How far is that going to take you? 100 miles? My 4x4 holds probably 26 gallons, and is usually close to full. I also have 45 gallons preserved fuel on hand, not counting what is in the generators, chipper, and rototiller. Aint nobody going to have 75 gallons of gas to get out to the boonies to come rob you, except me, and Im not comming to rob you. Ill bring 1000 LBS of my own food if I come, and share with you

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: forkedtongue
Went without electricity for over 3 months, after a storm.

Living in the woods, puts your name on the bottom of the list for restoration of electricity.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: VincentVicious

yeah, I`ve wondered that too, how would you know?

It`s not like you could go on the internet and read about it, or turn on your radio or T.V. and hear about it or call the electric company.
I guess after a few days you would know something serious had happened but you wouldn`t know if it was just in your area or how big of an area was affected.

I sure wouldn`t want to be near a city when it happens,the country people will be ok for a couple of weeks at least because it will take that long for the people fleeing the cities to walk that far.
The nearest big city to me is about 150 miles away, so it will take some time for them to walk 150 miles.
I live on a little island of a few hundred people where everyone knows everyone, there`s only one road onto the island, so I reckon we could barricade the bridge to keep the riff raff out, and shoot anyone who tries to swim across.
the coast guard and the department of natural resources each have a boat here so they could patrol the waters to keep the "pirates" away.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
We have hydro Electric power, that's Shielded...Its all good

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus
Believe it or not, you will survive.

Life goes on and you will learn a lot of ways to make your life a little more comfortable.

If you have family, you will develop of the art of face to face verbal communication.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
That be prity hard for me hear in vegas we got no only the dam but a ton of solar houses mine included but if something happen after the rice runs out and no power I'd go to the lake and fish ... it's not exactly a small lake lots of fish easy to catch and if that somehow failed canibal cookbook anyone

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Live near Portland OR, 6 months of freeze dry for 4 plus 500 pounds of rice, lots of water with a flowing stream and reverse osmosis capabilities. Lots of protection and friends basically the same way.
edit on 11-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join