It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do if the electrical grid went down?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: woodsmom
a reply to: network dude

This book right here should be a must read for everybody.
It really is an eye opener! Even though it's about an EMP blast, it's very telling of human nature in any break down that may possibly happen.

I think it should be required reading to be a member here. So many things to be learned about survival, and it's all reality.
It's been about 8 years since the first time I read it, and it still is fresh in my pea brain.
google one second after pdf. It's the first link.

Ah yes, I'll be reading that one. I already got a page into it just looking at it. Thanks Network.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

I know about patience from an ill spent childhood. But I've got 200 acres and access to another 600.
My main problem with the game here; I have to drive slow in the morning and evening, these suckers will run right out in front of a car. I've seen several cars "totaled" by deer strikes.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

People are generally unprepared physically and mentally for a massive shut down. One Second After follows the descent from the initial moments all the way through an insane year.

As an answer to the question in your OP, I would pull out the candles and lanterns, fire up the woodstove and cook some dinner. We would attach the hand pump to the well, expand the gardens and let bunnies start breeding if things didn't come back quickly. My husband and I made conscious choices over the last decade to have those abilities at a moments notice. Getting to know your neighbors is always a good idea too.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wetpaint72
a reply to: network dude
Hey....what do you mean even democrats?
I hope I'd be ok for a while. Greenhouse,lots of solar panels, water well, spring, disaster resistant house, solar hot water, radiant cooling and heating, a big ugly dog, some backup stuffs stored away. Maybe a firearm or two...I'm not saying for sure

Hopefully within the year to complete the homestead with chickens, a couple of goats, some bees, and a worm farm.

And I'm a homo hippie artsy liberal democrat....we make great friends. Hit me up sometime.

Just kidding. I was in a pretty violent thread a bit ago and am still wiping the blood off.

OP is right leaning as I am, so it was just a little poke. In a bad situation, politics is the last thing anyone needs. Come to think of it, maybe in all situations........

For sure. I'd definitely put politics aside in a real life crisis/dream like this.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Its the reactors that I'm worried about. They are cooled using energy from the main grid, not the energy that they create.
I think the back up battery only lasts for 65 hrs. Then it's meltdown time.

You'd have to compensate for no power by running a constant supply of diesel to the back up generators. And that would be for every single reactor not built on the water.

Hopefully, during the massive unrest and lawlessness that has overcome the land during this outage, hopefully the fuel trucks can always make it in with more diesel.

That is provided that the diesel even keeps coming for the trucks to fill up from.

It could be bad, like really bad.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I have drawn up plans for a wind generator using a horizontal fan inside a tower which would utilize the chimney effects of rising air. I don't know how soom I can build one, but would like to show it here if it is a successful as I hope it to be.
It should be ideal for home installation and warm air always rises, even if there is no wind.
edit on 11-12-2015 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Haha! That's exactly right... No internet or job to go to will have me either learning new trades that I'm not as familiar with right now, or will have me dying of boredom. I don't like being bored, so I'll be building and learning and all that good stuff. My parents live on the same road I do and they have chickens and turkeys. Their dang turkeys have had about 30 poults in the last year, but sadly the tom was found dead on Thanksgiving morning. Ironic I know, but he was buried, not eaten. Hopefully one of the poults are a tom. But those hens were putting out lots of eggs, and they have 18 chickens so eggs are never a problem. They were just talking a couple weeks ago about getting a couple of cows, and just got three more horses so at least we'll be able to travel. Wish I had all the goods they did, but at least I have access to it all.

link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

I don't know if it's been answered yet, but would solar panels still work?

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: forkedtongue

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: kaelci
I, personally, would welcome it. My partner and I have talked about this pretty extensively actually, because sometimes I get into these moods where I want us to move to a typical secluded cabin in the middle of no-where and live with nothing modern. Although, living in Australia, I suppose I'd be pretty miffed that I couldn't turn my air conditioning on. Ugh.

I'm delighted to see, so far, how many others would actually prefer this. No air would suck for sure. And like I previously stated, my house doesn't pull a breeze for shart. I'd have to improvise and make some new holes in my house. Hand drills and hand saws, here I come!

Invest in a summer kitchen, they are great in the south, you guys have the most oppressive heat I have ever been in in my life in lousiana.

Fricking 103 degrees 99% humidity in late september early october.......uggg

My grandparents had a summer kitchen, we spent many a summer night out there playing cards and eating good food.

My grandpa smoked 2 hogs in it every winter.

Not a bad idea to build something like that. I do have a man cave that I'm planning on tearing down, I could just keep it and turn it into a summer kitchen. You should have been here in 2011. 113° with 99% humidity on some days, and a 121° heat index. First year, and last year I ever saw temps like that. The last 3 summers have been mild and we haven't even reached the hundreds.

A ceiling fan or attic fan sure moves some air quickly. It will make 113 feel like a cool 99.

I love attic fans. I'd just have to find a way to power it. I could stay fit and use a bike to rotate the blades, haha.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

What will I do? keep some candles handy and keep my gun next to me just in case the entire nation goes crazy with the generation that can not survive without the commodities of modern technology.

I am from the old school.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

You better hang on to those... I think I'm going to start researching and downloading and printing this kind of stuff off. After I grew curious and all I've been reading today, it's pretty high risk that it could really happen.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
Eat, rape and pillage. What else would there be to do?

You gotta sleep too...

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I can give you a good example of what it would be like if the tech we rely on today went down.Where I live,we had 100's of meters of communications cable dug up and stolen just outside the village.None of the shops could accept cards, only cash and the shelves couldn't be restocked for 2 weeks. Imagine that on a national scale after a EMP blast from the sun.There would be absolute chaos is days.Just look at the panic when Facebook went down for 24 hours.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinymind

I know about patience from an ill spent childhood. But I've got 200 acres and access to another 600.
My main problem with the game here; I have to drive slow in the morning and evening, these suckers will run right out in front of a car. I've seen several cars "totaled" by deer strikes.

Absolutely. My fiance and I just finished off the last pack of hamburger meat from the $13,000.00 deer that she killed with her car. Funny how they run at the snap of a twig, yet run right out in front of your dang vehicle. Man you have a lot of acreage. Sounds like my family over in east Texas...

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

Very well prepared. That's all you can hope for if things go snapfooey. I'll help my neighbors out, and as we're all friendly, I assume they'd do the same. Teamwork will go a long way too.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: NowWhat

I believe batteries would be fried, so no trucks would be moving.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

... would solar panels still work?

Why not? It depend of the cause of the catastrophe burning the grid.

If it's caused by a solar event, the wavelength of the EM field is very long (the rate of change is slow) thus affecting only long line on the order of kilometers.

If it is an EMP, the rate of change is very fast, thus affecting unshielded electronics, but not at 100%.

link   

If that did happen i imagine we should be more worried about the numerous nuclear reactors located throughout the globe that would melt down due to there being no working backup power generation for the cooling systems.
edit on 11-12-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

link   
I have rolls of Black plastic to hang over my windows so the world cant see that I still have plenty of power. I have a battery bank of giant UB8D batteries that weigh over 160 lbs each and each hold 250 amp hours. They are charged by my solar panels, and if the sun doesnt shine, thjey will be charged by one of my pure sine wave generators. I have 45 gallons of gas on hand and the smallest generator runs for 13 hours on a gallon of gas. Im on a large lot and have multiple raised beds of vegetables going year round. My chest freezer is well stocked with Hams, steaks, turkey breasts, and all kinds of stuff. I have grains and a mill to make fresh bread, and hundreds of pounds of beans, rice, and pastas. Cases and cases of canned goods. There is probably 1000 lbs of food here, and guns and ammo to protect it.I also plan on feeding my friends and neighbors. My theater can run off the pure sine wave invertor. There are three invertors hooked up to the battery bank. My house can be heated in winter form the fireplace insert that burns cord wood, which I have plenty of. My small portable air conditioners can run off the battery bank. If there is no internet, I will still have plenty of movies to watch and lots of music to listen to. I have short wave so I can find out what is going on elsewhere on the planet. I have a gravity feed Big Berkey filter system to purify water. If I need to bug out, I have a 4 wheel drive and plenty of fuel to make my get away with essentials. If batteries are fried I also have antique motorcycles that run off Magneto
So anyway.... Thats my plan
edit on 11-12-2015 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: marg6043

So am I. I'd welcome such a thing. However, where I'm at, it would be easy to do. I feel for anyone in the city, their fortune may not be ideal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join