It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom is death?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

At least there are many that perceive freedom to be the end and perhaps they may be exactly right.
Where I live, there are many hunting dogs and when they are not hunting they are chained to their dog
houses. One of the dogs, I took a liking to and would often go down the hill and pat him. At first he was
very scared, but little by little he seemed to like the affection. All of these dogs are very well fed and looked
after at least by the local standards. One day, the idea dawned on me to ask the owner if I could let the dog
spend the afternoon with me. In other words, unchained in my garden, free.
He looked at me,"that is my best Dog you know, make sure he doesn’t escape!" I agreed to his conditions
and found it amusing that I had chosen his best specimen. A couple of days later, I found the moment to bring him in to my garden. I unchained him and walked him on the lead in to my domain and then simply set him free. To wonder, with no ownership or orders to cramp his style. For about five minutes he ran around and seemed to enjoy himself, then he made his way for the gate and cried in full distress. I was taken back, I hadn’t expected this reaction at all. His eyes gave the impression of total fear, as if I was going to take his life. Something about this freedom was all wrong, It was uncomfortable for him and also for me. So I quickly returned him to his chain and dog house, he seemed to settle back in to his normal existence. Everything made sense now, he knew where he stood, nothing spontaneous to deal with. I returned home and reflected on the experience.
Somehow this dog had taken freedom to symbolize death, its not an easy thing to prove but it was something instinctual that I had perceived. It was then I realized also, that perhaps to many men it symbolizes death also. How self protective the ego is!

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I think this is called Stockholm Syndrome, when the captive becomes attached to its captor. The captive will sometimes even die protecting its captor.

Religion is a lot like this, it imprisons people's minds and they defend their captors until death. When they see other points of view they see those as death even if it is actually freedom... because they have been conditioned not to leave the ball and chain they have lived with their entire lives.
edit on 12/11/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Excellent post ancient! It is interesting how we, as humans perceive the animals that surround us. I often get teary eyed when I see dogs that have been hit, or like your experience on a chain in the yard.

Often the way we perceive reality is tainted by how we really want it to be.

The dog will probably always remember you and trust you

SF

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ancientthunder

S&F
Your story reminds me of the cat that i took out of a pet shop, she was so full of fear, shy, she hid herself under everything she could as a kitten.
It took me at least a few months to win her trust, but there were moments when she sat on my lap and suddenly felt threatened, her eyes wide open and ready to attack in order to protect herself.
If that happened i just sat still and waited for her to go, she would walk away and after two minutes return as if nothing had happened.
She became quite big, almost 11 kg and enjoyed to run through the house as fast as she could from room to room.
At that time i was living downtown in an apartment on the second floor, this posed a problem for her because if she wanted to go outside, she had to go down the stairs in the portico with the possibility to encounter one of my neighbors, who were strangers to her.
A few times i've tried to get her to get used to the portico and people but to no avail, she panicked and fled back into my apartment.
One time when i went up the stairs and she couldn't see me anymore, she started to mew very loud.
So while i wanted her to be free and taste the outside world, this was not going to happen because she was too afraid.
But after bad times come good times, i moved out of town to live in an house on the ground floor.
AT first when cars would pass it was quite fearful for her, but she got used to it in a matter of weeks, she also became quite an attraction for kids and mothers who passed by on their way to school or mall.
During spring i've let the door open when i was at home, at first she would often sit in in the door opening, then a foot outside, whoops, back inside because there is someone coming.
No one there? you no what, i'm a brave cat and i shall go outside now

But not far from the door opening of course, just in front, but she was outside.
During summer she was rather used to go outside and found a new route to run fast, go out the door and back in through the open window in my living room.
At the other side of the street there was a river with high grass on the riverbank, obviously full of life because suddenly frogs would hop around through my living room, two times i've seen how she did that.
With a sudden jump after preparing, she would catch them and bring them inside.
It was beautiful to see how she overcame her fear and enjoyed being outside at the riverbank.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ancientthunder

I like that title. It might have led to an enlightening conversation. The dog story, although entertaining, was perhaps a different kettle of fish. Cesar Millan could have sorted that pooch out in a heartbeat. I recently included the line 'Oh what bliss, the touch of death' in a reply to a thread.

Death is freedom.

S+F

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Death is freedom.
a reply to: midicon
Why dont you expand on it for us,one who has kissed and returned knows more!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Lovely ending for you both, thanks for sharing the joys of humans and animals. a reply to: earthling42

new topics

top topics

join