It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shame on you

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

lol I'm not crying for trump. I'm just telling you like it is. If you don't like him, shut up about him. easy, right? that's all I'm saying. I don't like or dislike trump. Honestly, I don't really care. I just find people's hypocrisy irritating. it's stupid.

this thread isn't about Scotland. if you'd read the OP, you would have seen that. there's nothing whiny or melodramatic about what I've said. but you're entitled to your opinion.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

You claim that this post is not about Scotland yet your opening statement is "Shame on you Scotland"?

If that does not make this a thread about Scotland then what does?

The Scot's chose to disassociate from a prominent public figure and take away any honary status they had given because he decided to make statements that the Scotish felt were something they disagreed with?

If Trump chooses to act like this then he has the right to do so but such idiotic stances in the hope of picking up illeducated right wing support will work but will also come at a price.

As a sucessfull business man I am sure he has had his people do the maths and Scotland I imagine could not be further from his mind right now.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

I really do not care or know anything about the BNP. You and the other commenter can omit the article and my comment stands, so move on from that.

Secondly, there is a great difference between Texas and Scotland. Texas has an independent, functioning government. Scotland does not. Texas willfully joined the U.S., not by force. Scotland's revolt was put down and joined because they couldn't win a war against the English, who considered them to be their subjects and get their own king back in power.

There are differences. Texas has a governor, which is like a president, creates and has laws for itself, enforces its own laws, taxes its own citizens and has politicians that represent each region of Texas. Each American state has this, as well as a separate constitution apart from the Federal one. I don't believe Scotland has any of this, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Your very name says ScepticScot, not ScepticBrit. Are you a Scottish Britain? I'm confused. What independence does Scotland retain after its joining with England? While this is completely off topic, I am curious since you guys don't take no crap.
edit on 12-12-2015 by KesleyJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: KesleyJ

I really do not care or know anything about the BNP. You and the other commenter can omit the article and my comment stands, so move on from that.

Secondly, there is a great difference between Texas and Scotland. Texas has an independent, functioning government. Scotland does not. Texas willfully joined the U.S., not by force. Scotland's revolt was put down and joined because they couldn't win a war against the English, who considered them to be their subjects and get their own king back in power.

There are differences. Texas still has a governor, which is like a president. Creates and Has laws for itself, enforces its own laws, taxes its own citizens and has politicians that represent each region of Texas. I don't believe Scotland has any of this, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Your very name says ScepticScot, not ScepticBrit. Are you a Scottish Britain? I'm confused. What independence does Scotland retain after its joining with England?

Your lack of interest in the fact that you linked to the BNP and your lack of understanding as to how the UK government works and the way that Scotland works in the UK in regards to government is as I said before the reason that you should stay out of this conversation until you actually understand.

If you are interested I (and I imagine Sceptic) will be happy to provide some links as to how things work here. It is not as you envisage it from what I see.

It will not take long to knock together a thread covering the basics of how th UK government works and could be benificial for this and many future threads here on ATS

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: KesleyJ
You really don't know anything about the UK do you. Scotland has its own government, legal system and education system. Its policing and health system are independent. We even have our own international sports teams.
Scotland became part if the UK for a number of reasons none of which were to do with losing a war.
I am an independence supporter but misrepresenting the status of Scotland within the UK does no one any favours.
Frankly you are just embarrassing yourself now.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

First of all, I can stay in this conversation, since the way Scotland works is not apart of this conversation.

Secondly, I was rubbing it in that America managed to free itself from the Crown and Scotland could not, while Australia, Canada and New Zealand never tried. That was my comment, the peculiarities of the UK system is not in any way a part of my comment.

At no point did you or Sceptic respond to my actual response of the topic which is that Islamophobia is not the same as racism. America is exceptional because we managed to free ourselves from the overlords. Nor my third comment, where you both focused on the BNP source, as if I cared, while ignoring my entire comment on Islam.

So, I think you're the one who shouldn't comment. Since, your comment consists of telling me not to comment. And yes, any information you can add on the current UK system would be welcomed.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Okay, my ignorance is showing. Thanks for the info. I thought that Scotland lost its rebellion because they wanted their king back and that after their failed rebellion they became compliant British subjects in the 1700s. I'm sure all of that happened, as it is a part of history, but again how everything was ironed out is beyond me.

Nonetheless, my jab was at the failure of the rebellion to secure Scotland's independence. *Shrugs* I still think you're losers for trying to ban Trump.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
a reply to: Shamrock6

lol I'm not crying for trump. Honestly, I don't really care. I just find people's hypocrisy irritating.

this thread isn't about Scotland. /quote]

You made it (very quickly) about Scotland. I read a bit of back and forth after the angst-driven OP between you and OtherSideoftheCoin about how you're not condemning Scotland with your OP, and continue to Scot-bash for most of your posts. Calling poo "not poo" when it's clearly poo doesn't fool anyone.

Anyway, needless to say I got bored reading people argue over whether Scotland is or isn't bigoted (the question simply posed by anyone who considers themselves 'american' being a joke unto itself) and decided to just respond to the post with a question that may have already been brought up and/or answered in the thread thus far:

Maybe folks in Scotland hate Trump because he went over there and kicked people out of house and home to make way for... a golf course. Like Scotland doesn't have enough golf courses already.
We are talking about a proud, war-opposing people here, who did not 'vote themselves out of independence' like you seem to believe. What you're talking about is the equivalent of using someone's hand to hit their own face and saying "stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself."

On the whole, I agree that it's just as bad to say "we don't want you here" to an individual is just as bad as saying it to a recognised group or organisation/religion, but in this case you're doing the exact same thing you accuse others of: ie being fooled into believing cleverly-worded right wing media and assuming therefore that you know enough about those you are condemning to do so guilt free.

You should go to Scotland. It's a beautiful and humble place.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

Oh wait, I forgot it's RACIST to wear your national flag in the UK these days.
www.ibtimes.co.uk...

You really have no idea of what it's like in the UK.

Nobody has banned the Union Flag. Nobody - apart from a few nutters - says its racist.

It's not as ubiquitous as the US flag in the states, but it's in a lot of places - including my neighbour's window.

The story you link to is easily explained, if you can be bothered to go beyond the tabloid headlines. All policemen need permission to deviate from uniform. Policemen who want to wear this patch need permission. In some tabloid hack's imgaination, that became "the union flag is banned!".

Did I say go beyond the tabloid headlines? I meant read the article you quoted:

"Scotland Yard said the thin blue line badge, which is produced by the Care of Police Survivors charity, could be worn with a supervisor's discretion, but its uniform policy still does not give formal permission for the badges to be worn."

Seriously. Don't rely in lowbrow websites for your world view.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Same old, same old.

You can tell the yanks don't travel much.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: KesleyJ

First of all, I can stay in this conversation, since the way Scotland works is not apart of this conversation.

Secondly, I was rubbing it in that America managed to free itself from the Crown and Scotland could not, while Australia, Canada and New Zealand never tried. That was my comment, the peculiarities of the UK system is not in any way a part of my comment.

At no point did you or Sceptic respond to my actual response of the topic which is that Islamophobia is not the same as racism. America is exceptional because we managed to free ourselves from the overlords. Nor my third comment, where you both focused on the BNP source, as if I cared, while ignoring my entire comment on Islam.

So, I think you're the one who shouldn't comment. Since, your comment consists of telling me not to comment. And yes, any information you can add on the current UK system would be welcomed.

I could take a long time writing a response that would make sense.

Please stop thinking about what you wish to say and take a moment to consider what you mean.

You simply do not have the understanding to involve yourself in this conversation. This is not an insult, just a statement of fact. Answer me this if you may?

Do you live in the UK? Do you understand UK politics? are you British?

I am not saying that if not you cannot comment but please understand that if you answer no to the above then you possibly might need to shut up.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

As a Scot, I've stayed out too, and just been laughing my way through this thread. Very funny and and very sad.

My only thing I will say is that Trump shouldn't have been given a degree in the first place. Anyone with eyes can see the man has always been a total and utter dick.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I've been to one of Trump's resorts. It was a great experience. A whole lot of people from the Dominican Republic in Punta Cana are gainfully employed there and looked after very well. The working conditions are some of the best I've ever seen, and the economy of the surrounding area improves as a result. Yes, it's a resort that caters to people who have more money, generally. But it employs a vast number of local people--and those people get to learn English and interact with people (and make sizable tips from those "1%-er's" I heard someone accuse me of supporting).

Point being: Trump's things DO help people. And he employs people of all shapes and colors and sizes. So there. He's not racist. They get paid very well. And they escape a life of poverty. Thanks, Donald Trump. I mean, seriously. I think he'd do great things for our economy. I totally might be wrong, but that's just my gut.

To add, I'm highly politically literate. Trump is an ENTJ--just like me (go look it up if you don't know what that is). And maybe that's why I get the guy. All I am asking you all to do is just listen to the actual meaning of his words and throw out all of that loud fluff. He's just trying really hard to impress upon you a concept that he's passionate about. Seriously. That's it.

-- I say REALLY really stupid things all of the time. And I mean ALL THE TIME. I am always coming from a good place. But sometimes my thoughts don't translate right and yeah. It happens in the heat of the moment, you know?

edit on 14-12-2015 by rukia because: /rant

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whodathunkdatcheese

Same old, same old.

You can tell the yanks don't travel much.

I don't travel as much as I'd like to but I enjoyed very much the time I spent in the British Isles, especially Scotland!!! I found the folks there
very nice and friendly, the music scene was vibrant, and busking on the street was very lucrative for this old blues musician.

Topic....Trump is a fool and doesn't stand a chance of getting the GOP nomination.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Trump is an unashamed bigot and Scottish institutions wanting nothing to do with him is in no way bigotry.

I was disappointed to find that they'd given him an honorary PhD in the first place, but glad that they withdrew it. I'm sure it will seem elitist of me, but given all the effort it takes to get one of those degrees... I wish they'd choose another award if they wish to honor someone.

...and to the rest of the folks re: racism and Scotland -- Europe is far better integrated in respect to race than America is. As a child (in the 1950's) I frequently saw "mixed race" marriages (perfectly acceptable in Europe) at a time when "consorting with other races" in America could get a young Black boy lynched. This is not to say they're perfect, but they never had institutions such as "drinking fountains for whites only" and "no Blacks or Chinese allowed" restaurants and no police force in Europe ever had to guard a little Black girl who only wanted to go to elementary school.
edit on 14-12-2015 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Disagree with someone's right to free speech... take away their education.

Sounds pretty fascist if you ask me, but then again this is coming from a country that voted against independence.
edit on 14-12-2015 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
Disagree with someone's right to free speech... take away their education.

Sounds pretty fascist if you ask me, but then again this is coming from a country that voted against independence.

It's an honorary degree, nothing at all to do with his education.

You think it is fascist to not want to be associated with someone who advocates religious discrimination? If so you probably should look up a little of the history of fascism.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Fascism is a state controlled by corporations, but since WW2 it has gained a much broader definition. Type fascism in google and it says that it represents extreme right-wing, authoritarian, or intolerant views or practice. Which I think this situation falls under. The honorary degree was also issued by a University in Aberdeen.

Also, if you actually listened to Trumps statements regarding the issue rather then just take the 1 sentence the MSM cherry picked and took out of context at face value, you'll see that all he wants stricter immigration laws.

But apparently it isn't PC to want stricter immigration laws, therefore, racist. I mean, the US is currently in a war with radical Islamist's who publicly say they are using immigration to infiltrate operatives into western countries... but let's not blow this out of proportion.
edit on 15-12-2015 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit
It's still an honorary degree do absolutely nothing to do with his education. If the university no longer wishes to associated with him then they are absolutely in their rights to remove the degree.
Trump stated that he wanted a total stop on muslim immigration until the country's representatives could figure out what is going on. That is discrimination based purely on religion/culture. He is branding a quarter of the worlds population as terrorist suspects based on the actions of a tiny minority.
Being intolerant of intolerance is not fascism.

posted on Dec, 15 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia if you agree with trumps intimidation and bullying of locals near his proposed golf course, people who have lived there for decades, being forced to sell up. Then shame on you

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join