It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NLBS 03.07: Radical Right Wing Terrorism; That's Right, We Said it.

page: 38
<< 35  36  37   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
I'm beginning to wonder if you even know West Point is.

And in an academic context, such as the extensive report (from Dr. Arie Perliger. the Director of Terrorism Studies at the Combating Terrorism Center and Associate Professor at the Department of Social Sciences, US Military Academy at West Point), "progressive" isn't automatically synonymous with "liberal."

i know what "West Point" is... And being a military academy doesn't exclude it from being, or becoming left wing.

Your confusion derives from a world-view that conflates "Conservatism" with "Far-Right"...

Conservatism is not equal to "Far right conservatism" nor is everything else "liberal" that doesn't fit the ever narrowing definition "conservative" among the far right.

This is the continuation of the "RINO hunts"..

Conservatives and Liberals are both "liberals" to "far-right" conservatives...This is a continuing trend toward extremism.

There is also an instinct toward fairness where people would like to claim that the Democrats have an equally sizable, zealous and violent far left wing, but the reality is that the left's "far-left" wing exists primarily in the ideological imagination of the "far right" who views all other voices apart from their own (including mainstream conservatives) as antagonistic, far-left.

Put another way...when you start deriding West-Point as a left-wing, liberal institution...you might have jumped the shark into the extreme right wing.

edit on 26-12-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Isn't about time this was taken off the front page of ATS?

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

If guns are a protected right, then questioning someone as to why they need them is akin to questioning someone on why they feel they need free speech.

Only if you are paranoid.....
asking questions is how to find out where the person is coming from.

I meant no judgment.
Just wanted to know where his head is focused, and why. It's my nature to say, "why do you think that?".

I got that. Just attempting to point out both sides here. Seemed to be a bit of misunderstanding.

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

If one can question the reasons, one can possibly try and undermine the right itself.

Okay, point taken.
My approach, however, is more about understanding. About compassion. About communication.
I guess that's a no-go also with some folks, though.

I see.

So ----
Excuse the hell out of me for attempting to break the ice and begin an actual dialogue.

I can see this from both sides, in this case. Dialogue is a good thing, but I can see someone being defensive on the subject, considering all of the anti-gun rhetoric we hear. Just trying to be a peacemaker here.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

I just read an article about how many people have been discharged from the military with less than honorable discharges for various reasons. Some more serious than others, yet not DIShonorable discharges. And the numbers of the less than are still over 300,000. These people, a good number of which have PTSD, will not get benefits of any kind or very limited ones. I imagine more than a couple of them will be very unhappy and possibly consider joining right wing groups ala Timothy McVeigh. Homegrown terrorists numbers will explode. Count on some backlash from these discharges and training coming together with vitriol.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Actually I've been absent on ATS for a while only coming in from time to time...
I am from the Netherlands and have been mostly left leaning for most of my young life until I became more or less an independent and that in turn became Libertarian...

I own so called 'assault weapons' for many reasons with collecting and shooting them as a reason but the primary reason is the fact it gives me the means to defend myself against a government that has gone tyrannical, Let's just assume Trump becomes president (as much as the left despises him, I'm rather mixed on him at best) and he wants to put all Muslims in concentration camps...This is full blown tyranny and even us on the right won't stand for it, You better believe there will be groups like we saw at the Bundy Ranch protesting it.

It's also against politicians that want to stir a full blown civil war by banning the MAJORITY of firearms, Any firearm with a detachable magazine is fair game under the new AWB of 2015 including common semi-automatic pistols that are commonly used for self defense.

I have many friends who are Muslim and the majority may be good people but as soon as we let a slew of immigrants from Syria in you better BELIEVE some of them will be with ISIS, How do we deal with that? You can't properly vet them and it is quite possible there will be more bombings and shootings...

At the very least a person with a so called assault weapon will be on equal playing ground with them who will get their firearm illegally regardless as San Bernardino proved...Now bombs like IEDs are a bigger problem, But vigilance is the best course of action in that regard...

I'm a very compassionate person and I'd love to have people who are refugees in a war torn area, However not if they will endanger our citizens, My suggestion is to put them in a facility where they can be closely monitored, Not incarcerated but just in a location or locations where it will be difficult to plan terrorist attacks perhaps in old military barracks buildings on a military installation where they won't easily be able to obtain weapons or bomb making materials...

I'm open to suggestions from our friends on the left on how to mitigate this risk.

Most of us right wingers are what's considered the sleeping giant, Most of us don't want to resort to violence unless the government is overtaken by a tyrant in the magnitude of Hitler, Stalin or Mao.

I strongly believe they are attempting to take our most effective weapons for defending against tyranny to institute a tyrannical government who wants to shred our bill of rights, I'd rather be wrong be prepared to fight than to be disarmed and and right...

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 07:01 AM
link   

edit on 12/6/2019 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 35  36  37   >>

join