It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secret Plan To Nominate Mitt Romney From The Convention Floor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This doesn't at all seem to far fetched. With the GOP in crisis mode following the rise on Donald Trump, an expected floor fight at the national convention is reportedly being discussed amongst top Republican officials.

Source

More than 20 of them convened Monday near the Capitol for a dinner held by Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus, and the prospect of Trump nearing next year’s nominating convention in Cleveland with a significant number of delegates dominated the discussion, according to five people familiar with the meeting.

Although it was not disclosed who exactly the presumptive nominee would be, the Romney camp has quietly left the door open, or so they hope, for a showdown come next year if Trump continues to lead the polls.

Source

If that happens, a small group of wealthy donors and die-hard loyalists close to Mitt Romney will be ready with a strategy to win him the nomination from the convention floor.

So, I guess we'll see what happens, we have a ways to go.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal
This doesn't at all seem to far fetched. With the GOP in crisis mode following the rise on Donald Trump, an expected floor fight at the national convention is reportedly being discussed amongst top Republican officials.

Source

More than 20 of them convened Monday near the Capitol for a dinner held by Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus, and the prospect of Trump nearing next year’s nominating convention in Cleveland with a significant number of delegates dominated the discussion, according to five people familiar with the meeting.

Although it was not disclosed who exactly the presumptive nominee would be, the Romney camp has quietly left the door open, or so they hope, for a showdown come next year if Trump continues to lead the polls.

Source

If that happens, a small group of wealthy donors and die-hard loyalists close to Mitt Romney will be ready with a strategy to win him the nomination from the convention floor.

So, I guess we'll see what happens, we have a ways to go.

If they seriously think that they can turn the clock back 100 years they have to be frickin' delusional. A floor nomination at a convention? When was the last time that even happened?

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

Ah. A wonderful cliff-hanger end of the show for the season.

This is so absurd. How does that even work? Has it ever happened?

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

The day that Romney makes it as their nominee is the day I put a I Heart Hillary sticker on the bumper of my car.

- although its too bad it won't read Feel The Bern

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

That's ridiculous.

I do NOT see that happening, but then again, everything that's in the public's eyes is ON THE WORLD STAGE and TPTB like to pull shiesty s*** so you never know..

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Sounds about as likely as Obama declaring martial law and staying in office indefinitely.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: NowWhat

Why would you defect if it's Romney?
I think the Bern would still be very likely. Romney is a rich bigot Mormon weirdo. I will NEVER forget what the hot mic caught him saying about the "47%", No thank you.
I said NO last time, and I'll say NO again.

Like I used to say to my kids when they were little, when they'd ask me an already-answered-NO question again.....

Did I say if you ask me again I'll say 'yes'? That usually put an end to it....

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Ah. A wonderful cliff-hanger end of the show for the season.

This is so absurd. How does that even work? Has it ever happened?

Last time it happened was 1952 for the Democrats and 1948 for the Republicans. Brokered conventions with compromise candidates are just unheard of now.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

i dont pretend to know how feasaible this " floor nomination " gambit is - but the element of surprise has been lost - which cannot help

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Defect? As in not vote with the Republicans?
If thats what you meant, I've never voted republican. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, It was something like Clinton, Clinton, Gore, Obama, pass and now this one coming up…

I've been thinking in the direction of total teardown and re-build, total reset and a feeling that if you throw your broken tv across the room and smash it against the wall, it might start working again. So I thought, yea trump, woo hoo!

If it looks like any other candidate could get the republican nomination I'm either not voting, voting third party or voting democrat.

Edit:
Sanders has always been the only correct option for our nation at this time.
But we all know that the world is truly evil and this kind of thing could never ever happen.
edit on 11-12-2015 by NowWhat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: NowWhat

No, I mean leave Bernie's camp for Hillary's.

Sorry if I misunderstood. Thought you were for the Bern.

my bad.

edit on 12/11/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

i dont pretend to know how feasaible this " floor nomination " gambit is - but the element of surprise has been lost - which cannot help

It would only work if there was a deadlock in the number of delegates, with the leading candidates failing to get over the nomination finishing line - which hasn't happened in over 60 years!

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
I am for Bernie, first and foremost.
But I don't see that happening, hence the reason that I said it would be a I heart Hillary bumper sticker. As in, I don't get to even vote for Bernie.

edit on 11-12-2015 by NowWhat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I believe after what they did to Ron Paul at the convention it isn't likely. His name was not even allowed to be said at the convention. They'd have guys with romney rigns go to where the cameras would be and block paul supporters. take paul signs, etc. They actually were cheating on some of the voice votes as in not doing a written vote in situations of a voice tie or even when the yea's lost they still won. It was pretty messed up. There's a good video out there of the whole thing.

They want to show unity, this would be the opposite. Doing this would prove the conspiracy. It would be a cakewalk for any dem canidate.

Could it happen though, it's possible. As the delegates could all deflect in some weird way and I highly doubt Trump has put that much thought into delegates and he would have to have those kind of dedicated people to go through the delegate process. Something really only establishment and Paul supporters were thinking about.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

"When was the last time that even happened?"

You had to be bating for this response, cause I can think of one:
"Hitler's "rise" can be considered to have ended in March 1933, after the Reichstag adopted the Enabling Act of 1933 in that month; president Paul von Hindenburg had already appointed Hitler as Chancellor on 30 January 1933 after a series of parliamentary elections and associated backroom intrigues. The Enabling Act—when used ruthlessly and with authority—virtually assured that Hitler could thereafter constitutionally exercise dictatorial power without legal objection."

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Ben Carson says it's tantamount to theft. I don't know if I would go that far, but it may get very interesting on the convention floor. It's a complicated matter though.

During the dinner, attendees delved into what exactly a brokered convention would look like. It would happen if no candidate was able to win the nomination on a first-ballot vote, starting a multi-ballot exercise on the floor of the Quicken Loans Arena that could extend for hours until a candidate has secured sufficient support.

Many of the delegates are “bound” on the first ballot, meaning they must support the candidate they chose in primaries or at state conventions. But that restriction would lift if no nominee is chosen. The jockeying for delegates on a second ballot — or third, fourth or fifth — would be intense and full of political dealmaking, thus the term “brokered” convention.

Upon leaving the Monday dinner, several attendees said they would share memos about delegate allocation in each state as well as research about the 1976 convention, the last time the GOP gathered without a clear nominee.

Donald says he is prepared. This is going to get verrrry interesting!

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

How would anybody with atleast some common sense to qualify for a minimum IQ contest Hilary Clinton - with Romney?

So far, Trump has shown popularity and resilience far beyond any recent GOP candidate - and to be honest, GOP should be darn happy about that, and jump on that train!

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Except Romney can't beat Clinton and probably not Sanders either. Thoughts on that?

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Its still very early in the race, and anything can happen, but Trump has definetly sent shock waves through the established Political Cabal. A cabal that needs to be broken up. I think eventually Trump will have to consider running as an Independent, or the Republican party realizes that there is NO chance in stopping Trumps lead, and gives in to accept his nomination. But I don't think that will happen, The country is so divided, that I welcome an Independent candidate. I know Trumps choice of words are a bit lacking at the moment, and he needs to look at America as a very diverse bunch of people, with many many Religions and cultures. Trump is actually a very smart person, and has the brains, and balls. His talk, comes with years of being in powerful positions, So there is no wonder he says what he says. I think He will learn that in order for him to win, he needs to embrace all people, and he is smart enough to do so.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Really goes to show you how popular support really has no bearing when it comes to choosing a president. Although I'm not a Trump supporter, he is the republican's clear leader. Anyone who says our candidates aren't chosen, just look at what's going on now.

Not accepting the popular vote over electoral votes is another slap in the face to the voter. Our political system is clearly showing it's true colors. It's sure isn't by and for the people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join